No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Football - NRL, AFL, Soccer, etc...
 Essendon and Cronulla
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22676 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  17:55:56  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting, to say the least, the different approaches to drug cheating both these clubs have taken.
Essendon telling ASADA to go jump, taking them to the High Court and Cronulla just rolling over.
Why?
Does Cronulla see no point in delaying (in their eyes) the inevitable?

With all of Gallen's outspokenness I can't believe he has just rolled over. Maybe it was all bluff and they actually knew exactly what Stephen Dank was doing.
At least ASADA has called for a lifetime ban on Dank.
I also wonder if players who were hoodwinked (if any) will try to take him to court?

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  18:14:09  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Simply put, Essendon are guilty but are relying on a technicality to postpone punishment while Cronulla are getting the pain over and done with early knowing that they will face a lesser punishment than they would otherwise it if they fought it.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22676 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  18:33:24  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know Cronulla aren't very financial so that could be part of it.

There's a few sports people from other sports who aren't very impressed with the backdated penalties which apparently haven't been okayed by the world body.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7399 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  20:01:39  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If they fought it the NRL could give them a ban anyway... 3 games or dispute it, get banned anyway, and risk 2 years...

Even if not guilty, that's a bloody good deal.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  20:19:46  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
3 weeks is a disgrace - I'm not surprised they jumped at that, particularly Gallen the grub.

To respond to Bruce in the NRL thread: it is probably the single hardest loss I have had to deal with at Souths to lose Bully. Much worse than Sam Burgess as he didn't symbolise Souths as Bully did. I think a lot will underestimate just how much a loss he will be to Souths but I fully understand how engrossed he is with NZ and I think given that he will make the successful transition that others haven't.
Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13466 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  21:56:31  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The penalties handed out to these drug cheats is an absolute disgrace.

Back dated to November 2013, what a bloody joke.

These drug cheats regardless of who authorised the doping should be given 2 years like every other cheat.

Hopefully WADA will step in and give them what they deserve

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11452 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  22:37:04  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Despite being a light penalty, it probably is the best deal for the Sharks because at current, they haven't got anything to lose. As for the claims that they didn't know what was in Dank's snake oil, I don't believe that for a second.
Go to Top of Page

bundy5
BANNED

2755 Posts
joined 24 Feb 13

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  22:32:38  Show Profile Send bundy5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not going to go into the nuts and bolts of the decision but good to see Essendon's case fall by the wayside. Hopefully it will mean that Hird won't coach them next year.

Go to Top of Page

bruce1
Team Manager

Australia
2585 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 19 Sep 2014 :  22:41:21  Show Profile Send bruce1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy5

I'm not going to go into the nuts and bolts of the decision but good to see Essendon's case fall by the wayside. Hopefully it will mean that Hird won't coach them next year.

Sounds good, his attitude stunk, i don't know what's true and what's not but Hird wasn't exactly helping his cause or others.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
BANNED

Vatican City
17982 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  08:56:29  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/court-of-arbitration-for-sport-hands-down-ruling-on-wadas-appeal-into-essendon-doping-allegations/news-story/2c97065ed9edb5f912170232eb8ec86d

bout time !

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Team Manager

Australia
5981 Posts
joined 13 Feb 03

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  10:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Trev's Homepage Send Trev a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
and no appeal process, the only option is for individuals to take civil action if they want

I reserve the right to arm bears
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11452 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  11:03:12  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Worksafe Victoria fined them for not providing a safe workplace during the Dank era.

So current players are banned 12 months effective immediately, yet the Cronulla players involved only got a backdated ban which meant they only lost 3 or 4 games.

I weirdly agree with Hird that it's a "miscarriage of justice".

Edited by - CP on 12 Jan 2016 11:36:04
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22676 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  12:53:03  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think the club including the hierarchy and Dank should feel the full force of the law and the drug mob.
I find it difficult to believe that that many players knowingly took illegal substances.
I know the idea is that you are ultimately responsible for what goes in your body but with so much **** available how do you really know?
The players would have been taking the word/advice of so called professionals in their field and are now paying very dearly for it.
I can see a number of lawyers in brand new, expensive cars coming out of this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.