No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 General
 International reminicsing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1656 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 07 Nov 2014 :  20:00:24  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Other Australian, Nostalgia, Old, old Bathurst footage, I mentioned Win Percy. Because I looked him up on YT. It had nothing to do with the pre-1000 Bathurst, so I'm shocked I haven't got a coloured square for it (Or haven't yet?}. What I didn't mention, was that (in that funny YT way) I also ended up looking at Manuel Reuter highlights. But I thought I'd be pushing my luck as far as coloured squares go. So this thread is to talk about all the old stuff, ideally non-F1, Indycar, Nascar.

So Win is best know here for being part of the famous B1000 win in 1990. But the guy was also a 3 time BTCC winner (80,81,82). He was a provisional winner of the 86 ETCC, before the politics got in the way. I don't know if it was legit, but winning/losing after protests was common in TC during the 80s. He would obviously have been one of the best, if not the best, TC drive in the world during the 80s. Never came across as having a hint of an abrasive personality.

It was pretty funny story about him moving to the Toyota team, from the TWR Mazda team for the 82 BTCC. Tom was mucking around with him, bs him about not being able to offer him a drive for having just won the 81 btcc. He told this in an off-hand manner to the Toyota team, and they offered him a drive there an then, which he accepted. Percy returned to TWR garage to get his stuff, where Tom wanted to talk about next year's drive, where Win explained he'd already accepted an offer from Toyota because he thought Tom was serious about not being able to get him a drive!

He won the BTCC with the class formula they have, which meant you could claim the overall title, but not won a race outright. Did he ever actually win a btcc outright?

Manuel Reuter - Best known here for partnering Peter Brock in 92, in what was his only Bathurst start. Having less motorsport knowledge as I do now, I was thinking att "Who's Manuel Reuter? Never heard of him" But att, he was already a Le Mans winner (89) and had finished 2nd in the DTM once. But his career then kicked on, being the lead driver for Joest/GM going on to achieve a very nice double in 96, of winning the DTM and his second Le Mans.

Pre-internet. The best way to follow non-Australian, non-F1 motorsport, was to buy 3 week old copies of Autosport. 1996 was the first year I started buying Autosport semi-regularly, so the DTM was a series I was aware of, more than most fans would've. 96 just happened to be the breakout year for Opel, and Manuel won the opening round. Being a rare European non-F1, non-btcc driver that I knew of, I was happy that the "ex-Brock co-driver" went through a purple patch and won the 96 DTM (I know it was called the ITC att). In hindsight, it's disappointing we didn't see him at Bathurst more, especially since 92 was a miserable result. The guy is pretty tall as well.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.