No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Other Open Wheelers
 FT5000!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Sonic

Australia
17724 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  12:43:05  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reckon this has some potential... would certainly be a fan favourite (based on what I see at the fenceline with historic F5000)

(pics are also on the linked page)

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/03/31/modern-formula-5000-category-launched/

Moves are underway to establish a modern version of Formula 5000 in Australia and New Zealand.
The brainchild of historic Formula 5000 racer Chris Lambden, the proposed category has been dubbed Formula Thunder 5000.
It will feature a Swift Engineering chassis originally designed for Japanese Formula Nippon, fitted with a locally developed 5.0 litre Ford Coyote based V8 engine.
A prototype car is currently in the final stage of build at Borland Racing Developments’ workshop in Melbourne ahead of initial track testing.
Working on the project for almost two years, Lambden hopes that today’s public launch will draw firm orders for cars, which are expected to cost around $240,000 each.
The category’s centrepiece will likely be a seven-round Tasman Series across New Zealand and Australia each December/January.
“Ever since I had the opportunity to race a historic F5000 car myself, everywhere we went, the reaction was the same,” explained Lambden of his reason behind creating the class.
“That is, that this was the best thing ever in Australian motorsport and what a shame there wasn’t something like it now.
“I eventually started to take that on board and decided to see if there was any way a sensibly cost-controlled, modern version of the greatest openwheeler formula in Australia’s motorsport history, outside of F1, might be possible – and that’s what I believe we’ve come up with.
“Hopefully, a new generation of talented young drivers will get to experience the kind of mind-blowing performance that Alan Jones, Kevin Bartlett, Warwick Brown, Frank Matich, and the other stars of that 70s generation did … and which motorsport fans loved.
“The FT5000 car will be a seriously challenging, powerful, fast, openwheeler race car to drive and the sight and sound of a grid full of them getting off the line should be awesome.”
Although relatively tame aerodynamically for modern standards, the new cars are expected to lap quicker than the originals, one of which currently holds the outright lap record at Sandown.
Stressing a focus on low costs and close competition, Lambden has utilised a number of Australian companies to put together the technical package, which will be frozen for at least the first four seasons.
The 570bhp, quad-cam Coyote engines will be supplied sealed by Roger Higgins’ InnoV8 firm, fitted with a Motec electronic management system.
Power will be fed to the road through a six-speed sequential Holinger gearbox, while Oscar Fiorinotto’s Adelaide-based SupaShock will supply the control dampers.
The carbon fibre elements of the chassis are meanwhile being done in Melbourne by ex-McLaren Formula 1 engineer Lee Cason.
Wheels are being supplied by New Zealand-based Arrow, while tyres are being specifically made for the category by Chinese giant Giti.
Never entertaining designing a chassis for the class from scratch due to costs, Lambden says the deal with Swift to acquire the ex-Nippon design and manufacturing tools was a vital step.
“In reality, has allowed the project to proceed,” he said of the deal.
“The design is fully FIA crash-test compliant, so it’s right up there in terms of safety standards – and it’s a cool-looking car.
“We wanted to create a car which would provide a challenge.
“With around 570bhp in a car weighing around 680kg, the FT5000 car will provide the same sort of power-to- weight ratio, sight, and V8 sound, that the original F5000 cars did.
“That’s what motorsport fans want.”
Lambden says that FT5000 will likely run at standalone race meetings over the summer, with particularly strong support expected from the enthusiastic Kiwi racing community.
“While there will undoubtedly be a few one-off events through the regular Australian motorsport season, the desire to focus on a December/January summer Tasman series was logical,” he said.
“Apart from separating what we’re doing from that regular Australian domestic season, which should allow teams with existing ‘infrastructure’ to relatively easily take part, we’re hoping it will also attract drivers, and teams from the northern hemisphere – much like NZ’s TRS (Toyota Racing Series).
“There’s no clash between the two. We have specifically set an 18 year-old age minimum for FT5000, to emphasise that it’s not a development category, but something for drivers to take on once they’ve got that bit more experience.”
Lambden says that CAMS has been supportive of his plans for the class, which will officially run under the generic ‘Formula Libre’ openwheel classification.
Interested parties are being urged to register for more information through FT5000@bigpond.com.

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  14:38:49  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I can't articulate my thoughts about it ATM. I have mixed feelings about it. I suppose it has potential to dent fields of national level classes. I wouldn't be surprised if the AGPC are looking at it as a support for the GP already.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17724 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  14:42:50  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they wouldn't be game JR... this would be the highlight event of the MelbGP and they wouldn't want to take the gloss away from their own little side show.

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  15:12:41  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's no way they're taking the gloss off F1. For all the complaining about F1. Even if it lost heaps of popularity, it'll still be the most popular motorsport competition by a long, long way from anything else. I'm not denying FT5000 won't be a popular support class, but that's what it'll be. A support.

It does appear it potentially can be a good addition to the whole of Aus motorsport. If they ended up being on the Shannons program. How many more people would turn up?

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17724 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  15:39:59  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think it would make a difference JR... as much as the Shannons show puts on some good stuff it also puts on some 'why bother' (in my opinion)... we had the Swifts, fun to watch but never grew a grid... the F3's never got double figures... and the enduros of recent years that couldn't get to 15 cars for 3-4 hour races...

For whatever reason it has not got the crowd coming in... perhaps because of poor advertising?

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11511 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Going by what Chris Lambden has said in the article, CAMS are very supportive of this idea. That is a change of tune on their part.

I think he is also setting it up the right way by going for a current chassis and repurposing it similar to Formula Holden.

I already like this more than the winged Formula Fords.
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  17:17:10  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm just saying that now this class everyone has fantasised about is now real. It should equate to some popularity amongst the fans equally to attendance. So if it was on the Shannon program. Race meetings that get the same attendance as state rounds (maybe even less?), Then I would say an extra 2000 per round should turn up. That would be a success. Otherwise I see it as a popular support class at the GP, similar to what a celebrity race (with genuine celebrities) would be.

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10632 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  18:40:36  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This looks absolutely fantastic. I assume the ultimate aim in addition to the Tasman Series mooted would be for these cars to compete for the CAMS Gold Star and Australian Drivers Championship?

I could get abit 'negative' and say it is a little too "spec" for my liking, but F3 and F4 are exactly the same, and i would much prefer to watch a full field of these than them!

As for the Shannons Series... part of the problem with attracting fans is the marketing of it. They seemed to advertise it all as "come to the Shannons Series" and treating all the categories equal, rather than picking a category as the headline with others as the supports...
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  19:28:43  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter about the SN. The point is. These cars should increase attendance to meetings that otherwise don't attract any significant attendance.

Edit: Thinking about it further. I think where this class may thrive is that it attractive for a wider type of competitor. A young up and comers mat like to compete in this, and they can. And the older, wealthier amateur who would be out off competing in F3 because it's aimed at younger drivers, and chooses to race a Porsche, Utes or whatever else may prefer this to those other classes?

Edit2: Realising that these cars are using are a Ford. I'm just wondering if it occurred to these guys to take the wings off these cars and create FORMULA FORD MEGA!!!

Edited by - journeyman racer on 08 Apr 2016 22:29:20
Go to Top of Page

SuperMono
Formula Ford Driver

459 Posts
joined 02 Oct 08

Posted - 31 Mar 2016 :  23:55:51  Show Profile Send SuperMono a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
FT5000, Sports Sedans, Proddy cars, F3 and FF on the bill at state and national level...... we just need some sportscars and I'm living in the 70's again.

I like the simple aero and I'm guessing the tyres will do more than 1 meeting as well.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11511 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  20:23:48  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The promoting body formerly known as V8 Supercars, has for some unknown reason, decided they want their own.

http://www.motoring.com.au/motorsport-supercars-planning-v8-racer-103277/
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17724 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:39:33  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
if it smells weird....

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10632 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  21:40:23  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

The promoting body formerly known as V8 Supercars, has for some unknown reason, decided they want their own.

http://www.motoring.com.au/motorsport-supercars-planning-v8-racer-103277/

Just crazy isn't it....

Can barely get F4 into double figures, can't get F3 into double figures....but lets get two high level open-wheel series going....
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  22:12:02  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd like to see this happen. So we can have 3 medium/big open wheel series, each with 6 car fields, so it gives us more reason to rip into v8sc. If I'm not mistaken. During his time at MNews, Lambden has contributed to the embellishment of v8sc? If so. Well, he can suck on it.

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11511 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  22:28:12  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The only explanation that I can see is that James Warburton is Noah reincarnate. Rather than two of every animal, why not two of every category?
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10794 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 30 Jul 2016 :  01:05:38  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So what's next, are they going to create a new, unique category that features touring cars from the 60s and 70s, but they'll have all the modern safety gear. Just think, they could have Mustangs, and Falcons like the XY and the XC! And the GM guys could have Toranas, Monaros, Camaros and we can even have some old Valiants! It'll be just like the old days! This category could be great for Australia!

Oh wait...

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds.