No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 General
 Sandown to close?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3372 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  20:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heard a murmur this arv that Sandown is done after November... apparently sold to Chinese investors to be broken up for housing... inevitable, but sad...

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  22:00:00  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Big call with the horse track there as well plus the lake. They would have paid a tidy sum if they did.

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3372 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  22:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bundy1

Big call with the horse track there as well plus the lake. They would have paid a tidy sum if they did.

apparently enough to invest tidily in refurbishing and glittering-up a number of other Victorian (horse) race tracks...

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  22:23:50  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Henry

quote:
Originally posted by bundy1

apparently enough to invest tidily in refurbishing and glittering-up a number of other Victorian (horse) race tracks...

Wow - who are these "Chinese investors"? The Chinese Government?!

Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7434 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  23:29:33  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bugger all horse race fixtures there now.

Hope they announce before the 500.
Would make me go

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 27 Apr 2016 :  23:46:39  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05

Bugger all horse race fixtures there now.

Hope they announce before the 500.
Would make me go

You might have to take the punt. But in saying that the planning process to reconfigure the land can take a couple of years so racing might still be able to be held there as long as the new owners want it and they probably would to offset the costs in purchasing it.

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11469 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  00:49:05  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The rumours have been around for some time, although Henry's one is a bit more advanced from some of the ones I've read. The one I've seen doing rounds was that it would be sold off after the Sandown 500 contract expires.

Suppose the Chinese Investors could leave Sandown alone and instead buy a nice, picturesque locale out towards Bendigo, which is apparently worth $10mil in its current, rustic, time capsule state.
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10757 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  03:04:33  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read an article somewhere a few weeks ago about the issue. It suggested that they were safe for another five years or so. I really do hope what you heard is wrong.

I've never been, but I'll definitely go to the 500 this year if there's anything announced before then about it.

It just ****s me. We have these great race tracks, then everyone builds houses all around them, complains about the track, then we sell the land and build more ****ing houses. It pisses me off so much. We have that much god damn ****ing useable free land in this country, but because every man and his dog wants to live in the big city, we destroy great race tracks.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  08:16:05  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

I read an article somewhere a few weeks ago about the issue. It suggested that they were safe for another five years or so. I really do hope what you heard is wrong.

I've never been, but I'll definitely go to the 500 this year if there's anything announced before then about it.

It just ****s me. We have these great race tracks, then everyone builds houses all around them, complains about the track, then we sell the land and build more ****ing houses. It pisses me off so much. We have that much god damn ****ing useable free land in this country, but because every man and his dog wants to live in the big city, we destroy great race tracks.

Agree.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17584 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  10:48:34  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Last I had heard it is contracted for v8 meets til 2019? so I guess that would be the last one if that is correct...

**cues Queen... and another one bites the dust...

Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3372 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  15:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you have Historic contacts, cast the net and see what comes up...

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17584 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  16:17:47  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do... but you never know what you are going to get fed... who knows what Sandown owners have up their sleeves...

I'm just going to be bummed that a track 15 minutes from home will be gone... with such a simple design though you'd hope someone would replicate it...

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10577 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  20:21:11  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

We have these great race tracks, then everyone builds houses all around them, complains about the track, then we sell the land and build more ****ing houses.

Or in Amaroo's case, build two houses and a bunch of paddocks...
Go to Top of Page

Bloopy
V8 Champion

New Zealand
1244 Posts
joined 20 Oct 11

Posted - 07 May 2016 :  16:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Bloopy's Homepage Send Bloopy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

Last I had heard it is contracted for v8 meets til 2019? so I guess that would be the last one if that is correct...

Contracts can be bought out. I guess any outstanding contracts would have to have been addressed as part of the sale. Otherwise the old owners could find themselves in breach and needing to make a big payout.
Go to Top of Page

murph_fan51
Team Manager

New Zealand
8301 Posts
joined 13 Dec 02

Posted - 21 May 2016 :  09:44:31  Show Profile  Visit murph_fan51's Homepage  Send murph_fan51 a Yahoo! Message Send murph_fan51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Does this tie in with this?
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/04/07/v8-teams-weigh-up-retro-colours-for-sandown/

Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3372 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 22 May 2016 :  11:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Warburton's in the news saying that their contract is up this year, but they're looking to extend for three more, Racing Victoria's in the news saying the proceeds of the sale of Sundown will put lights at other horse racing venues... I won't be surprised to hear news that this year's the end...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds.