No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 Alex Zanardi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  12:27:44  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ex F1 driver Alex Zanardi, who lost both his legs (and almost his life) in an horrific champcar crash 15 years ago, has won his third Paralympic gold medal in handcycling.

Awesome stuff, even if he did beat Aussie Stuart Tripp to do it.

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  15:20:56  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Did see that Karter...

And still remember that awful crash ... some just don't leave you...

Proof of the mindset of a champion

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  19:57:32  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

Proof of the mindset of a champion.

Exactly this. The will power and detirmination of those at the top of anything is something that must be applauded.

Congrats Alex.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  22:06:15  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMz33lc7Dc

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10713 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  01:16:47  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great to see him win another gold. I'd never actually seen the crash (I was 6 at the time) so I just looked it up. Amazing that he survived that and to this day competes in the paralympics and I believe still car races in specially modified cars from time to time. Amazing stuff.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  17:16:12  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just over 20 years since "The Pass" as well (September 8), the most defining moment i would say of Zanardi's car racing career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEW7cCxxjk

Fantastic to see his wonderful results in Rio.

Edited by - Fast by Ferracci on 16 Sep 2016 17:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  17:47:35  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
while it was an 'entertaining move' it was anything but a pass... he was so far off the racing track it was ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22605 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  18:37:28  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Personally I don't think what Zanardi has achieved is really much different to what any of the Paralympic athletes have.
Look at Curtis McGrath who had his legs blown off by an IED just 4 years ago to name one other. young Reed McCracken, Dylan Alcott...
Look at any of them - they're all champions who are overcoming adversity at the highest level.
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  21:42:36  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Of course you're right LG, but erm.. this IS the F1 forum...
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10713 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  22:00:46  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I do agree Gerry, and it's a shame that they don't get even near the media coverage or the funding that the regular Olympics do.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22605 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  22:15:17  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

Of course you're right LG, but erm.. this IS the F1 forum...

Yeah I know that mate.

I nearly moved it
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10471 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 16 Sep 2016 :  23:24:24  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

while it was an 'entertaining move' it was anything but a pass... he was so far off the racing track it was ridiculous.

In 2016 that is probably true

In 1996, when track boundaries were rarely if ever paved, and the word track limits hadn't even been invented, it wasn't an issue.

At the time the move was lauded as a brilliant pass that caught Herta napping. Herta nor Team Rahal ever complained or protested the move, it was a non-issue at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

Personally I don't think what Zanardi has achieved is really much different to what any of the Paralympic athletes have.
Look at Curtis McGrath who had his legs blown off by an IED just 4 years ago to name one other. young Reed McCracken, Dylan Alcott...
Look at any of them - they're all champions who are overcoming adversity at the highest level.

Agree wholeheartedly

In comparison to any other athlete at the Paralympics he is no more a hero than any of them.

When you are a motor racing fan though, the likes of Zanardi & Sieders are the athletes who are going to be noticed first in a place like this.
Go to Top of Page

GoobaFish
Team Manager

Australia
1915 Posts
joined 25 Apr 08

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  10:36:40  Show Profile Send GoobaFish a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was massively into CART back in the day, and was gutted in 1999 when Greg Moore lost his life in that crash. I didn't see that one, the local network never showed the event out of respect. I did, however, see Zanardi's.

I thought he was gone for all money. His return to racing, walking, and competing as an Olympian is nothing short of heroic, like many other people who suffer injuries such as his.

Always get goosebumps watching Docos on him.
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  14:19:36  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It goes to show just how much of an effect his motorsport career has on his competitiveness levels to achieve what he has done in the Paralympics.

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17342 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 18 Sep 2016 :  19:47:16  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Like you Gooba, losing Greg Moore was a kick in the guts... never met the guy but he always came across as 'one of the likeable' ones... And I watched every CART race like clockwork... on the same time every race made it easy to remember...

And I saw it and it is ingrained in my memory

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds.