No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Nostalgia
 Motorsport Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11429 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Oct 2016 :  21:50:27  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The V8 Sleuth had decided to do things differently with the 10th anniversary of PBs passing and published a book featuring the histories of the cars that he raced at in the Bathurst 500/1000.

What were peoples thoughts on it?

EDIT: Topic changed with Wrighty's suggestion.

Edited by - CP on 07 Sep 2017 23:51:16

Sonic

Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 11 Nov 2016 :  23:43:09  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thought for a second this was going to be a thread on all of PB's liveries on the VF Commie....

haven't seen the book...

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10745 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 12 Nov 2016 :  00:36:19  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it was for sale at Muscle Car Masters. Only time I've seen it. I don't think it's in stores.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11429 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Nov 2016 :  12:47:17  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is available on Noonz's website, and it I found it quite an interesting read. The upcoming HRT book should be good too.

EDIT: There will be a magazine featuring every Ford Falcon supercar. It should be a good read for those who have the Brock magazine, and those that were smart enough to pre order the HRT book.

Edited by - CP on 05 Sep 2017 22:04:28
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22656 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  10:53:48  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought it was going to be Wally's cars!
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  14:32:55  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The HRT book is pretty good. Got it today

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7383 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  14:40:06  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05

Worth the $150 price tag? I'm always of the assumption that there won't be much in it that I didn't already know - or find out with little research.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  15:15:06  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

quote:

Worth the $150 price tag? I'm always of the assumption that there won't be much in it that I didn't already know - or find out with little research.

Yeah not sure about that. I knew most of it, but there's obviously been plenty of work put into it.
There's some good yarns in there that I wasn't aware of. Haven't finished it yet either.

RIP05

_Mholden

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  15:35:22  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah not sure about that. I knew most of it, but there's obviously been plenty of work put into it.
There's some good yarns in there that I wasn't aware of. Haven't finished it yet either.

Thanks for letting us know.

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:18:40  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

$150??!!

Don't mind paying for a good product but that is a huge price tag!

Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:23:43  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:

quote:

$150??!!

Don't mind paying for a good product but that is a huge price tag!

But HRT fans are notoriously good merchandise purchasers - so if any team could command such a price for a book it would be for this one...

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  18:54:25  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's a bit of a read, 400 pages long.

And it was a birthday gift too so it didn't cost me a cent! Although the purchaser was a bit pissed off. I told her it was $120. Didn't realise there was $30 of postage whacked on there too.

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7383 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  20:30:38  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

It's a bit of a read, 400 pages long.

And it was a birthday gift too so it didn't cost me a cent! Although the purchaser was a bit pissed off. I told her it was $120. Didn't realise there was $30 of postage whacked on there too.

At $120 they had me sold. I figured $10 postage... after I went through the cart I pulled out.
Figured my real car could probably use the $150 more.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Edited by - skaifeman on 06 Sep 2017 20:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  21:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I didn't realise the first Walkinshaw Commodore was the Brock HDT VK raced at Spa in 1986.

I've also recently read the Win Percy biography and that's a pretty good read. Not sure if it's widely available in Australia

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10529 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  23:22:13  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I didn't realise the first Walkinshaw Commodore was the Brock HDT VK raced at Spa in 1986.

Was that the car that after Spa went to GM Dealersport in for Vince Woodman & John Cleland to drive in the 1986 TT?

I guess I should buy the book for this info, so the Herbie Clips VL that Walkinshaw & Allam drove in the 1987 WTCC at Nurburgring was this car as well? There was another '87 spec one as well that never raced (in 1987 anyway)

quote:

I've also recently read the Win Percy biography and that's a pretty good read. Not sure if it's widely available in Australia

I've got the Percy book too (my one came with the Silk Cut Jaguar cover rather than the HRT cover though), it really is a great read.

The story of his 1992 year certainly raised my eyebrows
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2017 :  23:45:39  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah Cleland drove the 05 after it was left there after Spa. And it was the Herbie Clips car.

Yeah the Percy book was good. 1992 was interesting. But I couldn't agree with his thoughts that he should've won Bathurst in 1994 and 1995.

Edit: can we maybe change the topic title to "Motorsport books" if that's ok with the original poster? Or should we start another?

Anyway, Allan Moffat has an autobiography coming out which is written by John Smailes. Climbing the Mountain. I will be getting that too. Fascinating career. I do remember a Moffat book in 1977ish. Not sure if there's been one since? Others would know.

RIP05

_Mholden

Edited by - Wrighty05 on 07 Sep 2017 21:42:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds.