No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 General
 Webber To Retire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  23:57:40  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/webber-announces-retirement-from-racing-after-2016-838165/

I was actually really surprised to read this! He's on top form in the WEC and it's a shame that he'll no longer have the chance to win Le Mans, unless of course Porsche will run a third car with him as one of the drivers, but I doubt that.

It'll be interesting to see who replaces him. Perhaps Mitch Evans? He'll no doubt be trying to keep the F1 dream alive with another year in GP2, but unfortunately I don't think he's going to make it to F1. Plus he's in Formula E now, so any WEC drive would depend on any clashes and if Jaguar would allow him to.

Maybe Jenson Button? I do believe he's had an offer from Porsche before, and now on his "sabbatical" it's a good chance. Maybe even Felipe Massa. He's keen to keep racing I believe.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9580 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  10:03:36  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very surprised. Definitely thought he'd stick around to win Le Mans. It's almost inevitable that he would so why not stick around?
Go to Top of Page

bundy1
BANNED

2179 Posts
joined 02 Mar 16

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  19:10:48  Show Profile Send bundy1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

Very surprised. Definitely thought he'd stick around to win Le Mans. It's almost inevitable that he would so why not stick around?

Well he probably won't stay retired for long.

Well said - sums up the hypocrisy of LG and the fordies -
http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39351&whichpage=11#875389

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  20:33:15  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I honestly thought he'd stay at least until he won Le Mans. He's absolutely in the right team and he, Bernhard and Hartley are an absolutely brilliant trio.

2014 I remember he was leading with I think less than two hours to go, and the car decided to die.
2015 he was unlucky with the penalty that Hartley got them, and probably more unlucky that Hulkenberg, Bamber and Tandy had no problems whatsoever.
2016 I can't remember what happened because I only watched the first hour this year, but I believe they were out front when their car had a mechanical.

I would've loved to see him win Le Mans. I remember when David Brabham won in 2009, it was the first year I watched Le Mans.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
6806 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A real pioneer for the modern Aussie racer who wanted to go overseas.

Surely Earl Bamber has to be in the mix to replace him in that car.

The great 2019 poll about whether Tricky should be banned or not ended in favour of Tricky staying, 75% to 25%
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  23:07:27  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Muz

A real pioneer for the modern Aussie racer who wanted to go overseas.

Surely Earl Bamber has to be in the mix to replace him in that car.

You'd imagine he's a shot, though there's several good candidates. Remember too that Juan Pablo Montoya expressed interest in doing it, and I think tested the 919. He's been dropped by Penske in IndyCar, no current plans. I wouldn't rule him out.

Also I've heard rumours that Marc Lieb in the other Porsche is out at the end of the year, so maybe two free seats. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that one though.

_Mford

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.