No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 General
 LeMons events
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SuperMono
Formula Ford Driver

459 Posts
joined 02 Oct 08

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  15:56:56  Show Profile Send SuperMono a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here been involved as a competitor at one of these LeMons '24H' events?

Have been asked to join in with some friends and wondering about realistic costs to compete.
Although it is meant to be a $999 dodgy car plus safety equipment, looking at the field running at Wakefield it looks more like $3K cars plus preparation.

So is it realistic to say a $999 dodgy car that is acceptable is really....
$2-3K for the car.
$3-5K for safety equipment, initial setup and first set of consumables.
$5-8K to be on the line plus entry fees to be on the line for first event.

Thoughts?

Edited by - SuperMono on 02 Nov 2016 20:55:19

Sonic

Australia
17499 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  17:29:17  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
do you know Lachlan (Motormouth)?

he has an Excel I think in this current one coming up... he could give you an idea.

Go to Top of Page

27GV
Team Manager

5249 Posts
joined 20 Jul 08

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  17:38:05  Show Profile Send 27GV a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://24lemons.com.au/

They seem to suggest that $999 is the base car and then extra for safety modifications.

It is motorsport so always add an extra zero to your expectations, lol.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver

680 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  15:22:25  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've not been a competitor (yet!) but I have been to three of the races as an official. They are the best thing since sliced bread. I attend about 35-40 race meetings a year, and I genuinely mean it when I say these are the best ones I go to.

My first recommendation if you were thinking of doing it is this: If you are going to race hard, bang doors and try to optimise your car to eke out the last tenth of second; these events probably aren't for you. If you want to have a fun weekend away with mates, race around a track, nurse your car to the finish and then dream about doing it again, then this is right up your alley. LeMons is more like Variety Bash at a racetrack than a minuture Bathurst 12hr.

As for the cars... When the event was brought out from the US, the organisers had expected the same culture of ****boxes to come as well. What they didn't expect was for teams to go to an auction, buy a late model statutory write off for under $1k and then go to town. As such, they are tweaking a rule slightly so that it isn't actually paying a grand for your car, it's going to be based on value (like in a red book or similar)

Budget a grand for your car, and then the safety equipment is 'supposed' to be reused when you change cars for your next event.

Supercars isn't a sport.

Its a category of motor racing.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17499 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  16:13:08  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
statutory write off is very clever... but for sure doesn't fit the spirit of what it is supposed to be...

council auctions could also be a good place to pick up something reasonable at a cheap price...

or maybe go to a place like Melbournes Cheapest Cars for a bomb trade in?

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11452 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  16:45:46  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Since it was announced, I've been looking for sub $1000 ****boxes (just out of interest). Would the AASA, or CAMS allow some of the contraptions like the upside down cars and the Cessna?
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver

680 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  20:58:45  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

Since it was announced, I've been looking for sub $1000 ****boxes (just out of interest). Would the AASA, or CAMS allow some of the contraptions like the upside down cars and the Cessna?

Yes, the event would allow them. Have a look at how they are built (both by Speedycop) and you will see how they are legal.

This is the closest that anyone has got to a real LeMon so far... https://www.facebook.com/24HoursofLeMonsAustralia/photos/a.1828157260745907.1073741829.1811443145750652/1869792309915735/?type=3&theater

Supercars isn't a sport.

Its a category of motor racing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.19 seconds.