V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Speedway
 Tony Loxley books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11204 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  17:50:37  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was in Big W today and they had Tony Loxley's latest book on sale for $20. It did look like an appealing read but I couldn't flick through it as it was in shrinkwrap.

What are his speedway books like to read?

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17821 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  20:42:22  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
mainly photos I thought, since that's his job....cheap tho

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10376 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 09 Dec 2016 :  18:19:37  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
$20 is VERY cheap.

I've got most of his books, absolutely fantastic reads.

There are lots of photo's, but also alot of good text in them, particularly the "Tasman Cup" and "F5000 Thunder" books, all featuring plenty of words from the drivers at the time in those era's. The Parramatta & Liverpool books are fabulous too, I can't recommend his efforts highly enough

Here is his website

http://www.fullthrottlepublishing.com.au/
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11204 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  11:33:37  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I suggested it to a friend as a Christmas present so he bought for himself. Speedway is quite an enjoyable read and a great pictorial book to see where the sport has come from.

It's still a wild sport, but jeez, seeing some of the action shots and reading about the fatalities in the 50s and 60s is both interesting and chilling.

It's a fascinating bit of history too with shots of Lone Star JR and Super Tex in action.

Edited by - CP on 13 Jan 2017 11:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10376 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  16:33:55  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great to hear CP

Tony has a new book out now called "Caged Heat", covering alot of the recent Sprintcar years
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11204 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  18:16:56  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In the 70s chapter, there was a picture of a McGrath Holden backed Torana Super Sedan which was said to have a lot of HDT involvement.

What was the story there?
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10376 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 13 Jan 2017 :  19:36:17  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

In the 70s chapter, there was a picture of a McGrath Holden backed Torana Super Sedan which was said to have a lot of HDT involvement.

Possibly Peter Crick's? (Father of Rodney)?
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11204 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 14 Jan 2017 :  12:12:56  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

quote:
Originally posted by CP

Possibly Peter Crick's? (Father of Rodney)?

Looking back though it, yes it was.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10376 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  01:44:05  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah i recall AMC doing an article on this car a while back.

From memory Harry Firth gave Crick access to parts etc... and was very helpful with information, but didn't have a lot to do with the actual running of the car. It was painted in the 1974 HDT Barhurst colours. Peter McKay test drove it at Liverpool for a magazine article too.

Peter later built a similiar L34 Torana Sports Sedan for son Rodney to get his start in racing.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11204 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  09:16:44  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've been reading his latest book titled "Speedway Action". Its a good read so far.

It does have a little snippet about Derek Warwick enjoying himself in a Sprintcar at Speedway City.

Edited by - CP on 29 Jan 2019 23:05:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds.