V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CAMS National Racing Series
 General CAMS Series
 CAMS TCR in 2019 target
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldtimer
Team Manager

4285 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  21:50:56  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
CAMS will open expressions of interest for the promotion of TCR in Australia after signing a five-year agreement with the category’s parent company.

TCR (Touring Car Racing) is an international touring car category formed in 2015 by former World Touring Car Championship boss Marcello Lotti.

It features front-wheel driven, production-based cars with turbocharged engines of capacity up to 2.0 litres, allowing maximum torque around 420Nm and maximum power around 350 horsepower.

Commercial rights would be licenced to an organisation external to CAMS, which would retain responsibility for sporting organisation, akin to how the Australian GT Championship operates, for example.

“This is an exciting development for Australian motor sport,” said CAMS CEO Eugene Arocca.

“TCR Australia will provide the opportunity for affordable, competitive action in cars that are direct derivatives of popular road going cars.

“We are looking forward to working with manufacturers and competitors to ensure the success of this category.

“The worldwide interest in TCR has been very encouraging and we anticipate that the competitive Australian car buying market will see a number of manufacturers support the category.”

This year, the formerly known World Touring Car Championship (now World Touring Car Cup) will run to TCR regulations for the first time as part of the category’s expansion around the world.

There are over a dozen other TCR series around the world, as well as options to run TCR cars in classes of other events/series.

“We are absolutely delighted,” said Marcello Lotti, CEO of TCR owner WSC Ltd.

“The deal with CAMS, which is the driving force behind the success of Australian motor sport, adds a fourth continent to those – Europe, Asia and the Americas – where TCR series have already been established.

“This is also a great challenge, because motor sport is hugely popular in Australia and the local fans are enthusiastic and competent.

“We are confident that they will soon learn to love TCR just as has happened with their fellow fans across the rest of the world.”

TCR has enjoyed huge manufacturer interest since its conception, with Audi, SEAT, Volkswagen, Ford, Alfa Romeo, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lada, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Skoda, and Subaru, all having developed cars for the category.

Audi Australia had its RS LMS TCR car on display at last May’s Shannons Nationals meeting as it evaluated whether or not to run the car locally.

Expressions of interest for the commercial management agreement with CAMS are open from now until Friday March 16 at 1700 AEST.

http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/post.asp?method=Topic&FORUM_ID=71

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  21:58:48  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm curious as to whether we see any reaction from Supercars?
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4285 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  22:02:10  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CP

You will be one of many.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17271 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  22:12:05  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
another Improved Production category...

did have a chuckle at "the deal with CAMS, which is the driving force behind the success of Australian motor sport"... lol... guess they haven't asked the competitors out here what they think of CAMS :P

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4285 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  23:58:52  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
TCR regulations explained
The TCR technical regulations cater for front-wheel-drive, four/five-door saloons or hatchbacks using turbocharged production engines with a capacity of between 1750-2000cc and with a maximum power output of 350bhp.

No fewer than 19 TCR-based championships or series exist around the world while several manufacturers have, or are in the process, of homologating TCR cars including Alfa Romeo, Audi, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, KIA, LADA, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, SEAT, Subaru and Volkswagen. To date, more than 600 TCR racing cars have been built and sold to customer teams.

https://www.fiawtcc.com/wtcc-becomes-wtcr-from-2018-new-rules-more-cars-more-races/

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10648 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  00:01:24  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wouldn't mind seeing an Australian TCR series to be honest. The more variety we have in our motorsport the better I say.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  11:52:29  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They had a few TCR races on Speedweek a last year or the year before and it looked like an enjoyable category to watch. The thing is, like GT3, you can race the cars anywhere you want in any series that has GT3 rules.

Want to race TCR here, sure why not? Get sick of racing in Aussie TCR, take the car to Asia or the US.

The TCR cars can also be optioned with an endurance package as they are raced in the Dubai and Nurburgring 24 Hours. In endurance trim, they could easily fit into a race at Bathurst that is happening next weekend, or maybe even that one in October.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7094 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  14:26:51  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

I wouldn't mind seeing an Australian TCR series to be honest. The more variety we have in our motorsport the better I say.

Or are we spreading ourselves too thin...

"Ford’s Bathurst winning bonus didn’t even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10648 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  01:01:16  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

quote:

No I don't think so. Supercars will still be what gets the public's attention I have absolutely no doubt. TCR wouldn't be as popular here. But if it were to for instance be a support category for Supercars then would that be so bad?

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10395 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  10:55:16  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

quote:

We've been spreading ourselves too thin for decades in Australia, why stop now?

At least TCR is something different and not another one-make series, or another V8 series.
Go to Top of Page

minheim
Transporter Driver

Australia
60 Posts
joined 09 Feb 09

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  16:47:16  Show Profile Send minheim a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With no interest from Ford in (V8) Supercars, probably no new interest from other manufacturers. and the Falcon being long gone in sales and relevance by 2019, I can see TCR ultimately ousting (V8) Supercars. It will allow cars that are at least more linked to road cars and so encourage manufacturer interest. Teams can readily race or source a car locally and/or overseas. It increases the range of competitive co-drivers familiar with the class for endurance events like Bathurst. Given we have no local manufacturers now I think it is the future for tintop racing.
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10648 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  23:15:43  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by minheim

With no interest from Ford in (V8) Supercars, probably no new interest from other manufacturers. and the Falcon being long gone in sales and relevance by 2019, I can see TCR ultimately ousting (V8) Supercars. It will allow cars that are at least more linked to road cars and so encourage manufacturer interest. Teams can readily race or source a car locally and/or overseas. It increases the range of competitive co-drivers familiar with the class for endurance events like Bathurst. Given we have no local manufacturers now I think it is the future for tintop racing.

I can't. I can understand the points you're trying to make but Australians won't get behind TCR while we've got Supercars. Sure you'd have plenty of motorsport fans watch it but the general public? It's hard enough to get them to watch Supercars let alone something much smaller, not as fast and not as loud. TCR won't take over from Supercars.

_Mford

Go to Top of Page

minheim
Transporter Driver

Australia
60 Posts
joined 09 Feb 09

Posted - 28 Jan 2018 :  09:59:59  Show Profile Send minheim a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

I agree supercars are faster and louder etc, but if Supercars becomes a one make series or has no potential winning Ford presence then it is going to lose its motorsport fan base (and sponsorship support) and die. For my part no Ford then no interest and I don't buy the driver following alterative.
Australians like tintop racing and if the TCR series features a good mix of cars with relevance to what are on our roads then it will pick up motorsport fans and the general public with the inevitable demise of Supercars. I would be happy with Supercars continuing but only if Ford and other makes are there and agree it would then hold off TCR but really what are the cahances the way the series is modeled and run these days.

Edited by - minheim on 28 Jan 2018 10:01:25
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11238 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 28 Jan 2018 :  11:49:16  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Like GT3, TCR cars can either be built by the manufacturer or an approved tuner/team of a manufacturer. It is also frowned upon for full factory teams to be in TCR (kinda like in GT3), but your little team, from Melbourne, or even Ivanhoe can have factory support.

Good news for Blue Oval fans, this exists.

EDIT: CAMS are now looking at the EOIs for the category.

The prospect of a TCR Australia Series in 2019 will enter its next phase with the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) set to evaluate “strong” interest received from prospective promoters.
CAMS signed a five-year agreement with the popular global touring car class in January in a move to establish the category in Australia from 2019.
Expressions of interest to promote the category have since been sought with proposals lodged by candidates for evaluation following last Friday’s deadline.
The production based 2.0 litre front wheel drive set of regulations have sparked a glut of national series with the rules also incorporated by the World Touring Car Championship.
Manufacturers Audi and Hyundai have already indicated their interest in the possibility of an Australian series, while 63.5 percent of Speedcafe.com readers in a recent poll voted in favour of a series being set up.
CAMS CEO Eugene Arocca has confirmed that the process of finding an appropriate promoter for a national TCR Series is underway.
“We have received some very strong interest from potential promoters and CAMS will now work through these applications to identify the most appropriate party to promote the Series,” read a statement issued to Speedcafe.com from Arocca.
“We will announce the next steps of the process shortly.”
While the details of the the proposals remain confidential, Speedcafe.com understands Supercars is not among the potential promoter candidates.
Supercars CEO Sean Seamer says the category wishes to concentrate on building up its exisiting support categories rather than expand its portfolio for 2019, but the former MediaCom boss refused to rule out possible involvement in a TCR series in the future.
“From what I’ve seen, they look more close in spec to a GT4 car, from what I can tell; I’ve not seen a car, I’ve not seen a race, so I will reserve any judgement on the product until I’ve actually seen it,” Seamer told Speedcafe.com.
“Right now, in this year in particular, and probably 2019, we’re really focused on making our existing support categories work, and the existing calendar that we’ve got.
“As I said before, our focus is on executing brilliantly what we’ve got this year.
“Never say never, but our focus is on the product portfolio that we’ve got now.”
TCR has proved a hit with manufacturers since its introduction in 2015, with Audi, SEAT, Volkswagen, Ford, Alfa Romeo, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Lada, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Skoda, and Subaru, all having developed cars for the category.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/03/20/cams-evaluate-tcr-australia-2019-proposals/

Edited by - CP on 20 Mar 2018 10:44:45
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1619 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  22:49:07  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've only just recently noticed this thread, with it being in a quieter part of the site.

quote:
Originally posted by CP

Based on history, it'd be a cynical one.

quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

another Improved Production category...

If you're dismissing it as another IP class, I would disagree.

This class seems to have all the criteria (listed or otherwise) to bea ble to be a good alternative professional class or as the premier class.

quote:

No I don't think so. Supercars will still be what gets the public's attention I have absolutely no doubt. TCR wouldn't be as popular here. But if it were to for instance be a support category for Supercars then would that be so bad?

It'd be horrible, and stunt any potential popularity the class could get, even kill it off.

In the supercars circus, it'd literally be **** on by the fans and subtly by the industry and not allowed to propser. On top of that, if someone were to be interested specifically in this class, they'd have to attend a supercars race and pay bigger entry fees.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds.