No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Sports
 Football - NRL, AFL, Soccer, etc...
 SoO 2018
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 19 May 2018 :  17:58:28  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of retirements and unknowns this year.
There's also the fact that NSW with a new coach that no-one seems to know which way he'll go.

Possible/probable Qld Team

Slater
Gagai
Chambers
Inglis
Oates/Holmes
Munster
Cherry-Evans
Arrow
Cooper
Kafusi
Scott
McCullough
Napa

Hunt
Hess
Wallace
Papali

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 19 May 2018 19:21:38

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 19 May 2018 :  18:33:19  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You're missing a winger there LG. And don't they run the teams in order 1-13 up there in QLD?
I'd have Hunt in at 7 and Morgan as 14, dropping your mate DCE.

It worries me that Freddy is talking Mitchell Moses...
I do like his new blood mentality though - will really hurt the Dragons.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Edited by - skaifeman on 19 May 2018 18:33:51
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 19 May 2018 :  19:25:52  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Skaifeman.
Fixed now.

Hunt won't be #7 as he doesn't have the ability to actually lead a team around the park.
He will do Morgan's job at #14
Morgan is not even in the picture this year - form is not good enough.

The whole of Australia used to be 1-13 but the NSWelshmen kept on getting confused.
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
3110 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  07:44:25  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Baby blues put on a reasonable show however I think Freddy is extremely lucky to take the reigns the year all the big guns have retired. No Slater I think hurt qld a little but apart from 1 or 2 players in each side I think they were both pretty good sides.

Teddy was at his best, Malony proved me wrong and stepped up to the plate. Even though I canít stantbthe bloke, Inglis was tough, played well and a great choice for captain. Was a little worried about NSWs defence but they did well numerous times to keep Qld from scoring after tough repeat sets.

This is not the first time NSW have been in a good place heading to game 2 as qld always come back harder and faster. This year is anyoneís series but if Freddy sticks with most these guys they will be more competitive in future years then anything we have had in the last 11 years.

Bring on Game 2.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  08:02:41  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think game 2 will be a bit different.
Qld has to make changes - Billy will be back and he will hold the defence line together much better and Matt Scott hopefully will satisfy Walters with his fitness. He will be the glue for the forward pack.
Billy will also follow the ball carriers to enable offloads, something we were missing terribly. I saw Inglis in particular looking for someone to pass to and seeing no-one.
I'd even think of putting Morgan in the centres and dropping Chambers.
For Qld to do as well as they did with a couple of players being overawed by the occasion and really stupid mistakes by a couple of the experienced ones was pretty good.

Tedesco unfortunately did have a great game and Maloney had more positives than negatives. He threw a few forward passes which he got away with but I don't think it would have changed the result.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  20:53:19  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

I think game 2 will be a bit different.
Qld has to make changes - Billy will be back and he will hold the defence line together much better and Matt Scott hopefully will satisfy Walters with his fitness. He will be the glue for the forward pack.
Billy will also follow the ball carriers to enable offloads, something we were missing terribly. I saw Inglis in particular looking for someone to pass to and seeing no-one.
I'd even think of putting Morgan in the centres and dropping Chambers.
For Qld to do as well as they did with a couple of players being overawed by the occasion and really stupid mistakes by a couple of the experienced ones was pretty good.

Tedesco unfortunately did have a great game and Maloney had more positives than negatives. He threw a few forward passes which he got away with but I don't think it would have changed the result.

Slater will make a world of difference in Game II.
I was live at the game, so you miss a little bit, but Morgan didn't seem to offer much attacking prowess.

Having said that, I'd think NSW might be safe, the only legitimate tries came from NSW with QLD scoring from an intercept and a kick. The NSW defence could just absorb.

We need to turn it on for Game II, if we were heading to Suncorp as a decider and Billy's final it probably won't go our way.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  06:28:28  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think NSW managed to absorb the Qld attack because it wasn't very flash.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  15:17:40  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So easily written:
NSW will go in with the same team with either James/Prior/Sims replacing Reagan Campbell-Gillard. I'd expect Vaughan to then start, and one of these guys come off the bench.

QLD the same except Ponga coming in for Milford and Glasby understudy to Napa.

Not sure about Ponga on the bench, I feel he needs to be there the whole game or at least at a fullback role, and I can't see him swapping with Billy (nor should he). Now that Morgan is gone, I'd go with what you were suggesting earlier LG - DCE to 7 and Hunt to 9, with Hunt playing the final 10-15 of each half for McCullough to try and do what Cook did to QLD. That very well may be how they use Ponga, with Hunt shifting to 9, and Ponga coming on in the halves, but you lose a organiser in all that.

Ponga deserves to be there, just unsure how he'll be used... I liked the idea of a 'handing over' between Billy and Kalyn after this series.

---

And there you go.

Edited by - skaifeman on 25 Jun 2018 08:52:37
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  07:36:04  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DCE got the call last night for round 3 Skaifeman.
The delayed team announcement will probably be around 10:00 am today.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  09:45:49  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

DCE got the call last night for round 3 Skaifeman.
The delayed team announcement will probably be around 10:00 am today.

Good luck to him. The team does look a little more dangerous with Hunt at #14, who will have impact for McCullough.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  09:53:45  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He was pretty pumped last night. I just hope he (and the rest of the guys) have a good game now.
It might just put an end to a lot of the untrue crap he cops.

There's talk of Gagai to the centre with Oates on the wing but I can't confirm that yet.

Edited by - Legendary Gerry on 02 Jul 2018 09:55:04
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  11:26:05  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's exactly whats happened:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/02/cherry-evans-in-new-look-queensland-maroons-team-for-state-of-origin-iii/
Looking forward, I'd probably be holding Gagai in the centres for next year with Chambers out.

Matt Prior has been hard done by I think, losing his spot to Tariq Sims, and even if Cordner pulls out, Ryan James will play.

Edited by - skaifeman on 02 Jul 2018 12:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  12:40:36  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah I don't understand the Prior/Sims change.
Go to Top of Page

Whatthe
Team Manager

Australia
1714 Posts
joined 16 May 06

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  14:47:11  Show Profile Send Whatthe a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Doesn't matter who they pick, it will still be a blue rinse......

Sometimes it's good to be BLUE!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22648 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 02 Jul 2018 :  17:04:34  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Whatthe

Doesn't matter who they pick, it will still be a blue rinse......

I wouldn't be so sure...
But I guess you can dream.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7345 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  09:36:25  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well done to your man DCE, LG. Played a very, very good game. And it really worked with Hunt at 9 too.
I knew QLD wouldn't let us have that last one, not at Suncorp and not with Billy's last game.

Next year will be a fantastic series.

One gripe... Slater player of the series... missing game one may have helped his cause because it showed how much they missed him.
Tedesco or Cook would be my pick. Seems the selectors have short memories.

Edited by - skaifeman on 12 Jul 2018 09:38:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds.