V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 F1 2019
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

tusker
Formula Ford Driver

346 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 24 Jun 2019 :  22:17:48  Show Profile  Visit tusker's Homepage Send tusker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, I not only saw the interview, but read the whole story. At the most elite level of motorsport, he said that he didn't care about the consequences, which is just wrong.

As I said earlier, I don't think Ricciardo had any intention of going off in the first incident for which he got the first 5 second penalty. I get it that he's prepared to send it while still developing a feel for the Renault and that is probably why he went off. But the second incident when he passed Kimi by exceeding the track limits was because he deliberately drove there. It was not a case of him losing traction. And he didn't care about that.

The full quote makes it look even worse: ďWhen the trackís so wide youíve got to improvise a little. It was a fun last lap. To be honest whatever happens, I donít really care. I think it was fun and itís better to have a fight and see what happens than to just sit behind and be a loser, so yeah, I enjoyed it.Ē

Yes, it is better to have a go than timidly sit behind another car. But it's foolhardy to squander all he and the Renault team were about to achieve by driving off the track to pass Kimi.

So with all the effort, the hundreds of thousands or millions that went into the engine upgrade to get a tenth or so more out of the car, the upgraded UK factory, the pressure from the factory to perform, the this and that and he doesn't care?

Edit: typo

Edited by - tusker on 24 Jun 2019 22:19:57
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1119 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  02:05:56  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The second penalty.... eh.... how do you gain an advantage by exceeding track limits on a straightaway? It happens on the starts of many races when you see drivers jigging down the inside going towards the first corner?

Too bad of recent times that penalties have to come into play to decide outcomes. But it is what it is.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  07:48:25  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The first penalty was harsh, I though. There was room for a car on the outside when he rejoined.

The second one was just stupid. He could have passed Kimi on the other side.
Go to Top of Page

tusker
Formula Ford Driver

346 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  08:50:10  Show Profile  Visit tusker's Homepage Send tusker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikeamerica84

The second penalty.... eh.... how do you gain an advantage by exceeding track limits on a straightaway? It happens on the starts of many races when you see drivers jigging down the inside going towards the first corner?

Too bad of recent times that penalties have to come into play to decide outcomes. But it is what it is.

Here's a clip of the two incidents, with the second one starting from 0:15 sec. There is no grass or curbing to slow Ricciardo down if he exceeds track limits by going 4 wheels off to the right to pass Kimi. It's just a painted surface that I believe offers more grip than the plain tarmac. So this is how he got an advantage.

Exciting, yes. But I was gutted to stay up late to watch Dan almost make it with a somewhat satisfying result, to throw it away like this in the dying moments.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1142822260593569792
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1119 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  23:06:48  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

It's just a painted surface that I believe offers more grip than the plain tarmac. So this is how he got an advantage.

Yes.... I guess I can buy into that logic. The Paul Ricard runoff is unique.

Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7211 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 25 Jun 2019 :  23:28:20  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I canít stand that track

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1119 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  07:28:13  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty05

I canít stand that track

If memory serves me right, the French GP moved to Magny-Cours in the 80s. This was a very unpopular move with regards to the French fans. Circuit Paul Ricard is situated/located in a much better area of France, down by the Med.

Personally, I never thought much of Magny-Cours. I think Paul Ricard just LOOKS confusing with all of the different layouts in front of you and all of the blue and red striping.

Bring back Istanbul!

Go to Top of Page

tusker
Formula Ford Driver

346 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  08:24:10  Show Profile  Visit tusker's Homepage Send tusker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Paul Ricard is confusing to me too. At first it looks striking in an artistic French flag sort of way, then the run-off areas start to look to me like a weirdly misshapen carpark with bits of racetrack drawn on it. So not a favourite of mine, either.

I also think Ricciardo was lucky that Kimi was decent enough to move over and let him back on track after he drove on the blue zone. Not all Supercars drivers would do that!
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6907 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  11:49:26  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikeamerica84

quote:

It's just a painted surface that I believe offers more grip than the plain tarmac. So this is how he got an advantage.

Yes.... I guess I can buy into that logic. The Paul Ricard runoff is unique.

I think it's more to the point that if there were grass there, or even a wall, he wouldn't of got it done.

@ tusker - Kimi probably knew what was to come.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

tusker
Formula Ford Driver

346 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  14:23:13  Show Profile  Visit tusker's Homepage Send tusker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
@Skaifeman Kimi's got a wise head to go with his wise cracks!
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1119 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  07:26:47  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like Dan will have a long day ahead of him tomorrow, coming out of the 12 hole.

Good job Ferrari & Leclerc.

Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  07:53:50  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
3 grid position penalty for Lewis. Isn't the FIA supposed to be working for Mercedes?
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6907 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  18:41:25  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Geared to be a good race with 5 teams in the top 6 spots.
Expecting Sainz and Kvyat to make some moves from the back too.

Don't think this is the track for Renault. Getting in the points will be a win.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  07:10:46  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was a good race! Thankfully Ferrari's objections to the pass on LeClerc were ignored. There was nothing in it, really.

Gasly lapped by Verstappen. You'd have to think RedBull will be looking for another driver.
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1583 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  11:10:13  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And you're wrong again.

It'd be good for genuine race fans if Verstappen could pass someone hitting an apex (As opposed to other cars).

Leclerc didn't chomp down hard on Verstappen. He took the wider line for a faster exit. But was denied an opportunity to pass due to Verstappen corraling him off track.

It's exactly like what you see on ovals where a car may take a high line because it's better for them overall. The trailing car may go on the inside, but that doesn't mean they have a right to the exit and brush off the guy they're attempting to pass.

But it's understandle that people get caught up in the moment, and maintain a tough man persona. Even though it's not really tough.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18  Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.