V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 F1 2019
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10342 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 24 Mar 2019 :  15:44:48  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

How do you know Vettel is more likely to challenge for the title? (Apart from being screwed by team orders?)

quote:
Originally posted by TheArrow

A few more strategy screw ups combined with some ... almost typical Vettel mistakes, and a clean run for Leclerc would very quickly change that.

Bit naive to say at this stage that Leclerc should be behind Vettel all year.

It is how it works in F1, though...

quote:
Originally posted by karter

It's how it works in FERRARI, clearly. Which is a real shame, because I was quite interested to see how the LeClerc vs Vettel contest would pan out. But if Ferrari is issuing team orders from race 1, it's not going to happen.

Vettel panned Le Clerc all weekend, and the only reason Le Clerc was in any position to challenge Vettel at the end is because Ferrari themselves screwed up Vettel's strategy

Le Clerc made more mistakes in the race than Vettel as well. It's only his second year in F1 so that is understandable, it's also understandable that Ferrari will back a guy in his 12th full season of F1 over a guy in only his second

Edited by - Fast by Ferracci on 24 Mar 2019 15:45:25
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1583 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 26 Mar 2019 :  12:49:51  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm perplexed how a guy can follow F1 for many years either not get team orders, or understand when it's not a big deal when it's applied?

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 26 Mar 2019 :  14:54:12  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sure there are many things you find perplexing.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10342 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 26 Mar 2019 :  17:07:01  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How has Liberty come to the conclusion that the Australian GP last week was the 998th F1 race?
Go to Top of Page

meha
V8 Champion

Australia
901 Posts
joined 13 Apr 06

Posted - 27 Mar 2019 :  15:39:34  Show Profile Send meha a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I actually wondered that myself. I would have thought that there was a lot more races than that.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10342 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 27 Mar 2019 :  16:51:11  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meha

I actually wondered that myself. I would have thought that there was a lot more races than that.

My records have it at 972 World Championship F1 races
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6907 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 27 Mar 2019 :  21:51:31  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

quote:

You have your own records?

"Ford’s Bathurst winning bonus didn’t even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10585 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  10:44:06  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Are they counting some of the old non-championship Grands Prix from many years ago? That might be the difference.

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2517 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  11:41:19  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

quote:

You have your own records?

Beatles, ac/dc etc etc
Go to Top of Page

Kytabu
First of the losers

Australia
2698 Posts
joined 31 Dec 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  13:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Kytabu's Homepage Send Kytabu a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

Are they counting some of the old non-championship Grands Prix from many years ago? That might be the difference.

Liberty are counting races that have contributed to the World Championship, not Formula One races. This includes the two seasons of Formula Two (17 races) and the eleven Indy 500s that were part of the World Championship.

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4023 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  15:01:34  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Radical change suggested as Aussie Grand Prix slammed
By Brett Graham
4 hours ago

A leading Formula One journalist has cast doubt on the suitability of the Albert Park circuit to host the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Joe Saward, who has covered the sport for more than 30 years, says the circuit has “zero overtaking” and as the first race of the season, there’s “pressure” on organisers to fix the problem.

With the exception of 2006 and 2010, Melbourne has kicked off the F1 season every year since 1996, and Saward argues that the first and last races of the season need to be held at tracks that put on a good spectacle.

The respected journalist has even offered a radical solution, claiming organisers could eliminate the first two turns on the Albert Park circuit.

“Australian wants to be the first race, but it has zero overtaking,” Saward told the Missed Apex podcast.

“It’s not as bad as Monaco, but it’s not far short of that.

“There’s pressure on for them to do something about it, and they can do something about it, it’s just going to cost money.

“Basically turn three would become turn one, and you’d arrive with cars at screaming amounts of speed, braking heavily for turn three.

“You could than have a straight long enough to make a difference, which is what they haven’t got at the moment. The straights are too short. They need an overtaking space, I think that’s one good way of doing it.”

The Melbourne track is notorious for providing limited overtaking opportunities. In this year’s race, Red Bull driver Pierre Gasly spent much of the race stuck behind Dani Kyvat’s Toro Rosso, while Alfa Romeo’s Antonio Giovanazzi also held up a number of cars in the midfield.

Complaints about the Albert Park circuit are nothing new. In 2018, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said changes “should be looked at,” suggesting the braking zones were too small to allow cars to overtake.

The start of this year's Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne. (AAP)
Five-time world champion Lewis Hamilton also weighed in, saying “they definitely could make adjustments.”

Regulation changes this year were designed to allow cars to pass each other more easily, although before the season began a number of teams expressed doubt over whether this would actually be the case.

Saward says Albert Park simply doesn’t provide the quality racing that should be on show in the opening round of the championship.

“It’s not a good racetrack, it’s a good track to drive, but it’s not a good racetrack. The fact is Formula One is a show, it’s a sport, it’s a competition, and you want to have a real competition, not just people sitting behind one another going ‘why can’t I overtake?’

“The first and last race have a long shadow, so I think we need to have first and last races that are really exceptional from a racing point of view, and Australia isn’t. As much as I like Australia, I don’t think the racing is right.”

https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/australian-grand-prix-slammed-for-lack-of-overtaking/a09eb4dc-f216-4ae7-b056-b0f93fc5f390

https://www.google.com/search?q=albert+park+f1+map&rlz=1C1AVSF_enAU769AU769&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=J2ULgIZlk1043M%253A%252CNfgMdiXyewBmfM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ73Co8fzIDoBj0QfSvjQp7QGSnAQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiq-8Gt-KPhAhXLXCsKHUZdB1kQ9QEwAHoECAcQBA#imgrc=J2ULgIZlk1043M:
Go to Top of Page

TheArrow
formerly known as Spree

Australia
6384 Posts
joined 14 Jan 08

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  16:51:27  Show Profile Send TheArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To be fair, I think about 75% of the circuits don't provide good racing but how much of that is the circuit and how much of that is the cars?

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1583 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  20:29:27  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Joe Saward is a nerd. The people who respect him are those that are less knowledgeable than him. I've heard lots of garbage from him.

His opinion is to say the first/last race are special. They're not.

There's no point in making suggestions to improvement the superficial aspects of F1 til you see what it's like once you get rid of all the artificial aspects of F1 first. No more mandatory pitstops, no mandatory use of multiple compounds, then no drs.

If Joey was a knowledgeable motorsport journalist, he'd know that. But he doesn't.

Edited by - journeyman racer on 28 Mar 2019 20:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10342 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  23:18:56  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kytabu

quote:
Originally posted by DJRford

Liberty are counting races that have contributed to the World Championship, not Formula One races. This includes the two seasons of Formula Two (17 races) and the eleven Indy 500s that were part of the World Championship.

They need to stop promoting the races as the "998th F1 Race" as they did in Melbourne then

quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

If Joey was a knowledgeable motorsport journalist, he'd know that. But he doesn't.

I recall he was quite vocal in his own views about the 1987 James Hardie 1000, back when he worked for Autosport and was their touring car reporter
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1583 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  15:06:03  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know what those view were, and he was likely to be wrong.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18  Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 8.44 seconds.