No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 Carlos Sainz to McLaren
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1346 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  03:14:29  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://racer.com/2018/08/16/mclaren-confirms-sainz-for-2019/

McLaren confirms Sainz for 2019

McLaren confirmed Thursday that Carlos Sainz will race for its team in the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship. Sainz replaces fellow Spaniard Fernando Alonso – who announced earlier this week that he would not return to F1 next year – on the team. McLaren says it has signed the 23-year-old Sainz to a multi-year deal.

“We’re incredibly excited to have Carlos join us as a McLaren driver,” said team CEO Zak Brown. “We’ve been assessing him for some time now and rate him very highly among the next generation of young talent emerging through the ranks in Formula 1.

“Carlos brings with him the perfect blend of youth and experience. Although he’s just 23, he’ll be starting his fifth season in the sport with us and will bring with him a huge amount of racing experience, both in Formula 1 and with our partner Renault.

“It’s no secret that Carlos is a huge admirer of Fernando’s, and it’s fitting that he will be stepping into his seat as a Spaniard with a legendary name in motorsport. We think he’ll be a great fit for McLaren and we’re really excited to have him join us from next season and beyond.”

Sainz, who is currently racing for Renault, indicated a McLaren seat had been his goal for some time.

“I’m delighted to finally be able to confirm that I’ll be a McLaren driver from the 2019 season. It’s something I’ve been looking at for a while and I’m very excited about this next chapter in my career,” said Sainz. “I’ve been a McLaren fan for as long as I can remember. It’s a great name in the sport with an incredible heritage, and the list of drivers that have raced for McLaren over the years are among the heroes of Formula 1.

“Fernando is of course one of them, so it’s particularly special that I’ll be taking his seat as part of the next generation of Spanish racing drivers behind the wheel of a McLaren.

“Finally, I’d like to thank everyone at McLaren for giving me this opportunity to fulfil a childhood dream. The team has a long-term plan for the future and I’m very much looking forward to playing a key role in its journey back to success.”

McLaren did not confirm whether Stoffel Vandoorne will return in its second car next season. “McLaren will communicate its full driver line-up for the 2019 season in due course,” the team stated.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9580 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 19 Aug 2018 :  18:43:22  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Swapping a talented Spanish brat for an untalented Spanish brat is not the fix McLaren needed. Give it 10 years and they’ll be the new Williams. Sad.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 19 Aug 2018 :  19:33:52  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

Swapping a talented Spanish brat for an untalented Spanish brat is not the fix McLaren needed. Give it 10 years and they’ll be the new Williams. Sad.

Sainz was more often than not pushing (or getting the raw end of the stick) when he and Verstappen were at Torro Rosso.

He certainly isn't the silver bullet, and probably won't do much more than Alonso, but he certainly won't let the team down.

Time is the only thing that will help McLaren, I don't think there's a quick fix there. A rule change will be the thing they look forward to most.

"Ford’s Bathurst winning bonus didn’t even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 19 Aug 2018 :  20:58:21  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As he had another year on his RedBull contract, I am surprised that I have not seem a Redbull release announcement.

Considering that RedBull are currently rather annoyed with McLaren, they might just spite them by placing Carlos in a Torro Rosso.
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7382 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 20 Aug 2018 :  14:33:36  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Haha Sainz is not untalented

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10713 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 20 Aug 2018 :  22:45:22  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sainz is a good driver. Probably not champion material, but he's a solid driver.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.