V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Silly 2020.............
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Mechz
Pit Crew

139 Posts
joined 16 Mar 09

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  09:08:09  Show Profile Send Mechz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Without Ludo, do we really think Chaz would be actually contending with SM for a title in the same team? Hard to say but doubtful.

Go to Top of Page

ignition
Terminator

2355 Posts
joined 30 Jan 08

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  09:16:25  Show Profile Send ignition a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
taking a stab in the dark:

chaz has been promised a healthy pay check at walkinshaw
primary driver
guaranteed money pumped in to make the cars competitive
performance clause
freedom to race with BMW whenever events don't clash

etc etc

meanwhile at Penske, he'd be second fiddle, unhappy, and unmotivated with limited overseas drives and his future hanging on to the rumour that Scotty is moving elsewhere

i know what i'd choose if i was in the same situation

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4035 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  09:52:39  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There might be big changes planned.

Ever since Tom's death, the team has been going backward as Mommy put her son in charge.

It is often stated that Ryan is the owner. At best he is only a minority 40% owner, if any.

The other 60% is owned by hard nose businessmen who are involved heavily in international racing. It may seem strange, but businessmen like to see results and profits when they invest.

How long before they say "Move over Sonny", we are putting an experienced competent boss in to run WAU, and while we are at it, an injection of new personnel with international racing experience.

Getting one of possibly top 5 Supercar drivers into the team would be a good start, in fact, an essential start.

And I don't count on the continuing support of HSV since it lost it's main profit stream modifying V8 Aussie built Commodores and seemingly became a left/right converter selling low volumes of very expensive trucks and cars. There could be big changes there too, if it even continues in it's current form.

Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager

Australia
14226 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  11:36:13  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Iíve read in a couple of articles that it would not be great for the sport to have Chaz and Scotty running around in DJRTP Mustangs...while I can kinda see their point, Chaz is the only person to really show the ultimate speed to challenge Scott now, to have him at the back of the ten with Frosty, I think will detract from the show....and what now for the 55? Tickford need a gun..

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6909 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  13:45:55  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

Ever since Tom's death, the team has been going backward as Mommy put her son in charge.

It is often stated that Ryan is the owner. At best he is only a minority 40% owner, if any.

The other 60% is owned by hard nose businessmen who are involved heavily in international racing. It may seem strange, but businessmen like to see results and profits when they invest.

How long before they say "Move over Sonny", we are putting an experienced competent boss in to run WAU, and while we are at it, an injection of new personnel with international racing experience.

Getting one of possibly top 5 Supercar drivers into the team would be a good start, in fact, an essential start.

And I don't count on the continuing support of HSV since it lost it's main profit stream modifying V8 Aussie built Commodores and seemingly became a left/right converter selling low volumes of very expensive trucks and cars. There could be big changes there too, if it even continues in it's current form.

It worries me that 'businessman' might be prioritise profit over results.
What makes you think that Ryan is calling the shots there? I think Matt Nilsson has more direction in performance. Ryan et al. would just have a say in the makeup of the team.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4035 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  14:36:12  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

It worries me that 'businessman' might be prioritise profit over results.
What makes you think that Ryan is calling the shots there? I think Matt Nilsson has more direction in performance. Ryan et al. would just have a say in the makeup of the team.

I did write results and profit". Don't forget the result bit.

Also, apart from being businessmen, they are also racing enthusiasts.

Clearly, whatever they have been doing, it isn't working and hasn't been working for a long time.

New owners invest in struggling Supercar Teams and they get to the top.

888 buying Briggs.

Penske buying into DJR.

Now we have a 60% buy in to this team and Michael and Zac will want to emulate Roland and Penske.

Nothing wrong with that.

I am sure that the current staff are trying to do their best, but it is surely time for a new direction.

But seriously, this is a significantly Ford leaning Forum, so I would expect that there will not be great support for improvements at WAU, while it remains a GM team.
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9572 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  15:07:44  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At first I thought the WAU was a ploy to divert attention away from CMís certain move to DJRTP but I can now genuinely see how it could be an attractive option. Sure, heís been sold a dream because there is nothing about WAU currently that would even make you consider them for a second but Zak and Andretti arenít investors because they like a place to stand while the V8s race at AGP, they surely want to win. Now theyíve seen how Penske has done it so they know itís possible. Iíd say thereís a massive influx of capital for next year and McLaren will in some way contribute to improved performance just as surely Penskeís American operation has. Theyíve probably got a 3 year plan as DJRTP did. I get it now.

Tickford are a very good team in my opinion - not at the level they once were but still very good. They need a superstar though. Courtney ainít it, nor is Pye (much less so). I donít know who else there is. Chaz really is the man - if you can have SM or the RBR duo - so id say theyíre in for some lean times. I rate Waters but he isnít quite there yet.

Edited by - HRTKLR on 11 Jul 2019 15:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  15:15:54  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
who would want to race against scotty in the same gear ?....you would have to be very confident in your speed to do that

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9572 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  15:33:51  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

who would want to race against scotty in the same gear ?....you would have to be very confident in your speed to do that

Agreed. But it would only be temporary as SM will go to USA. Besides, I reckon Chaz would go alright against him. He lacks Scottís consistency but heís definitely one of the fastest guys on the grid.

On a selfish note my 3 fav drivers will soon all be in Opels: Chaz, Reynolds and Frosty. Thatís a bit ****.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10343 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  17:46:43  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

quote:

Agreed. But it would only be temporary as SM will go to USA. Besides, I reckon Chaz would go alright against him. He lacks Scottís consistency but heís definitely one of the fastest guys on the grid.

On a selfish note my 3 fav drivers will soon all be in Opels: Chaz, Reynolds and Frosty. Thatís a bit ****.

I personally doubt SM will ever make the move to the USA, with Penske anyway

He'd be late-20s by the time he left, starting from scratch, and Penske's NASCAR team already has a stable of young drivers for the future. You can't make a career in Supercars if you start from scratch at that age these days, how can you do it in NASCAR, especially with the heat that would be on him as a Penske entry. At least Ambrose was low-key with lower teams as he learnt the craft

He's never raced an open-wheeler to my knowledge which counts him out of an Indycar seat, and the Sportscar programs these days usually rely on ex-open wheeler or experienced Sportscar hands.....where does he fit in?
Go to Top of Page

fordie
Pit Crew

239 Posts
joined 13 Jul 08

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  19:36:14  Show Profile Send fordie a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If I was DJR Penske I would try and get De Pasquale on a multi year deal! Or a dark horse Will Brown......
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  19:37:34  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fordie

If I was DJR Penske I would try and get De Pasquale on a multi year deal! Or a dark horse Will Brown......

I agree....that boy is the future

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Muz
Team Manager

Australia
6643 Posts
joined 06 May 08

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  19:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Muz's Homepage Send Muz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

quote:

I personally doubt SM will ever make the move to the USA, with Penske anyway

He'd be late-20s by the time he left, starting from scratch, and Penske's NASCAR team already has a stable of young drivers for the future. You can't make a career in Supercars if you start from scratch at that age these days, how can you do it in NASCAR, especially with the heat that would be on him as a Penske entry. At least Ambrose was low-key with lower teams as he learnt the craft

He's never raced an open-wheeler to my knowledge which counts him out of an Indycar seat, and the Sportscar programs these days usually rely on ex-open wheeler or experienced Sportscar hands.....where does he fit in?

I don't disagree, but I do know that Penske's USA drivers really rate McLaughlin highly. Not that it counts for seats, but that might be general sentiment.

McLaughlin later described the final corner: "I don't know what happened there. I just plucked it in first, gave it some jandal and **** yeah!"
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2524 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  21:22:21  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fordie

Yep, this
Go to Top of Page

murph_fan51
Team Manager

New Zealand
8086 Posts
joined 13 Dec 02

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  18:11:17  Show Profile  Visit murph_fan51's Homepage  Send murph_fan51 a Yahoo! Message Send murph_fan51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/mclaughlin-us-future-up-to-penske/

"Things do happen, eventually, maybe, maybe not; I may be here to annoy you guys [in the media] a bit longer.

"Or I might go somewhere, I'm not sure. It's totally up to them.

"If the call comes, it comes, if not I'll keep going.

"I've got an awesome job down under and I'll enjoy my life here."

....As FbF was hinting towards.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 9.52 seconds.