No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Open Wheelers
 Japanese motorsport?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1701 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  07:28:43  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How come Japan has a decent domestic Open wheel series? It's pretty impressive of their motorsport culture that they could imo.

They don't have a conventional domestic touring car class, but I think GT (Super GT) is in effect in place of that?

What is it about them?

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!

Sonic

Australia
17490 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  16:06:04  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Aus does too with Formula Ford...

CAMS just chooses to not do their job and promote it...

Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
BANNED

Vatican City
17982 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  19:13:47  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

How come Japan has a decent domestic Open wheel series? It's pretty impressive of their motorsport culture that they could imo.

They don't have a conventional domestic touring car class, but I think GT (Super GT) is in effect in place of that?

What is it about them?

Is surprising...they should all be working for Suzuki like their fathers I would have thought

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1701 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  22:18:01  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmm, definitely no stereotyping there...

quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

Aus does too with Formula Ford...

CAMS just chooses to not do their job and promote it...

Nah man, you can't compare fford with Super Formula? fford is an open wheel class, but it doesn't count because it's entry level/amateur. Super Formula is a small size F1 series. It can be used as a stepping stone, but it's its own thing.

What is it about their motorsport culture that that occurs, and it doesn't anywhere else?

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7394 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 20 Sep 2018 :  11:13:56  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Hmm, definitely no stereotyping there...

Cleary a reaction to your Doohan comment. Not what you're thinking.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 20 Sep 2018 :  11:58:58  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

What is it about them?

If one was to check population numbers, Japan would have a few more people than Australia and it therefore follows more people interested in competing in motorsport.

Japanese companies are also, quite possibly, the major sponsors in may international motorsport classes.

I remember a Japanese racer visiting Australia year after year, (probably) in the 1950s.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10552 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 20 Sep 2018 :  16:51:36  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just think the amount of money the car makers, tyre manufacturers and electronic companies are willing to pour in is what makes their scene so healthy, and has done for 30+ years

While there is less money in Australia, we still should have the ability to have a much higher level of investment than we have currently, but the powers that be are too interested in control parts, control tyres, one make racing etc etc which chokes investment from anyone wanting to learn something.

quote:

Their GT series, now Super GT as you say, was effectively formed out of the end of Group A. In 1994 the Japanese Touring Car Championship switched from Group A regs to Class 2/Super Touring regs, so the likes of the GTRs, Supra's etc... moved into the newly-formed GT series (with more freedoms obviously)

The JTCC died after 1998, but the GT series went from strength to strength
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1701 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 20 Sep 2018 :  20:01:39  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've looked that up and it's true. I never picked up on that development. I've also looked up that their sportscar championship ended in 1992. So I suppose GT filled the void of two classes?

Something else I noticed having looked up the schedule of both GT/Formula series is that there are no date clashes. Two major motorsport series in one country, and no date clashes? Compare that to the unflushed toilet that is motorsport in this country?

I think Fbf has made the point about the money manufacturers are willing to invest in the series to make it work. Although it also has delved into parity a little bit.

Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10751 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  01:36:38  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They certainly do have a good domestic motorsport scene. Considering Super Formula is one of the closest categories to F1 in terms of cars, it's somewhat surprising we don't have more Japanese drivers around F1. But then it does seem to bring in some good international drivers like Andre Lotterer for instance. And I believe Pierre Gasly did a season there after winning GP2 before he got to F1.

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds.