No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 General
 truck stunt show spectator injuries
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 27 Oct 2018 :  22:33:49  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A MONSTER truck show in Brisbane’s south has gone horribly wrong, with a vehicle rolling into the crowd, injuring at least three people.

Families were packed into the Mt Gravatt Showgrounds for the Ultimate Monster Truck Show on Saturday night when the accident occurred about 30 minutes into the show, police said.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/crime-and-justice/mt-gravatt-monster-truck-rolls-into-crowd-three-hurt/news-story/b076a65237ee297d27540066dd11f914

This is rather like the Surfers event organisers were worried about when CAMS stopped the leaping trucks.

Sonic

Australia
17499 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 27 Oct 2018 :  23:13:41  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
can't see it... locked content...

found a different link... https://en.mogaznews.com/World-News/1060816/Ultimate-Monster-Truck-Show-accident-at-Brisbane-leaves-young-girl-injured.html

if the pic in that is correct it is nothing like the SST... Monster Trucks are a different beast altogether.

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22676 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  06:11:14  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like totally inadequate fencing...
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
3130 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  10:34:53  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pretty pathetic safety fence! Might as well used nothing.
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4501 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  11:19:21  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Considering that the Qld. Government has been talking tough about OH&S with entertainment and rides etc., I wonder how they managed to get permits to stage the event with such rudimentary safety fencing.

There will be some tough questions from the government and opposition.

It was still better than the safety fencing (lack of) for Robbie Gordon's Darwin display.

Here is a new report.
quote:

By Jocelyn Garcia
28 October 2018 — 10:09am

Monster truck show-goers sprang into action to lift a rally car off a mother and two children after a failed car stunt left children traumatised in Brisbane’s south.

The woman and two children were injured, including a girl who was taken to the Mater Private Hospital with a suspected broken ankle, after reports they were struck by the car.

According to police, a car lost its steering after going over a jump, before crashing through a fence and into the crowd at the Mount Gravatt Showgrounds about 6.30pm on Saturday.

Spectators were shocked by the lack of response from organisers and questioned safety provisions.

Edited by - oldtimer on 28 Oct 2018 11:23:40
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17499 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  13:15:35  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
does remind me of a mudbash I was photographing in Gippsland when one of the high powered vehicles had a stuck throttle going around a left hander and drove straight up the embankment... there was only a few hay bales really in the path between him and us but being on a pretty vertical rise I at no time felt unsafe... he unfortunately hit 6-7 people from memory and the poor bloke was distraught even though he did all he could to stop the car :(

I was one of the fortunate ones being missed by around a metre or so

Edited by - Sonic on 28 Oct 2018 13:18:42
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11452 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 28 Oct 2018 :  17:14:58  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just saw the footage on Ten News. It was fairly **** fencing that wouldn't even stop a human stampede.

Edited by - CP on 28 Oct 2018 17:16:04
Go to Top of Page

PVDA
Team Manager

2565 Posts
joined 02 Nov 02

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  21:28:46  Show Profile Send PVDA a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember the Melbourne CBD F1 demo laps a few years ago that used water barriers but no water in them so they would've been useless in a collision.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.