V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Australian
 Other Open Wheelers
 S5000 debut ## caution, possible spoilers##
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldtimer
Team Manager

4041 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 19 Nov 2018 :  17:45:04  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Aussie version of F5000 is here.

The third reboot model makes it's racetrack debut.
quote:
The first completed S5000 single-seater has been officially revealed alongside plans for a six round series on the Shannons Nationals bill for its inaugural season next year.

Series organisers took the covers off the car at an official launch at Sydney Motorsport Park where the bespoke chassis logged its first public laps.

The bespoke Onroak-Ligier chassis powered by a sealed 5.0 litre, 560hp V8 Ford Coyote ‘Aluminator’ engine has been dubbed as Australia’s answer to IndyCar and is set to break lap records across the country.

A host of Supercars identities are expected to witness the car’s first laps today including Ryan Walkinshaw, Brad Jones, and Todd Kelly.

Nissan Motorsport’s Andre Heimgartner and former Supercars full-timer Jason Bright were also present at the launch.

The series is yet to announce entrants for 2019 but has attracted plenty of interest.

“This is the motorsport category that is going to shake up the industry,” said Matt Braid, director of promoter Australian Racing Group (ARG).

“For many years, we’ve been yearning for a local, cost-effective, premier open wheel motorsport category, and we have no doubt that the S5000 package is the car to deliver what is needed.”

ARG confirmed that the series will begin at the Shannons Nationals Sydney Motorsport Park season opener from May 17-19 alongside TCR Australia.

The news arrives having investigated the possibility of running as a support series at Supercars events.

S5000 will also take in rounds at Phillip Island, Winton, Sandown, as well as two visits to The Bend Motorsport Park.

The open wheel category is also investigating opportunities to hold non-championship events, pending discussions with other racing promotors.

Other possible calendar inclusions could also see the revival of a Tasman Series, including events in New Zealand over the summer.

Category manager Chris Lambden is hoping the launch will trigger the first confirmed entries, while revealing that talks to feature at Supercars events in the future are ongoing.

“The revealing of the S5000 is truly a landmark day for Australian motorsport,” said Lambden.

“There is now the certainty that teams and drivers have been looking for to enable them to commit and plan for 2019.

“S5000 is going to offer the ‘big-bang’, serious open wheeler racing that Australia hasn’t seen for decades, and there’s no doubt that the car and competition package will excite people.

“Confirmation of the CAMS Australian S5000 Championship schedule for 2019, headlining the Shannons Nationals, is great news all-round.

“It’s the ground base on which the future of S5000 will be built.

“There are discussions also going on with Supercars, among other promotors, with a view to S5000 running at some of their events, which will certainly add some icing to the cake.”

The car is set to make its full public debut at this weekend’s Coates Hire Newcastle 500, where it will be driven by Greg Murphy and John Bowe.

S5000 2019 calendar

Round 1 Sydney Motorsport Park 17-19 May
Round 2 Phillip Island 6-9 June
Round 3 The Bend Motorsport Park 12-14 July
Round 4 Winton 31 August-1 September
Round 5 Sandown 20-22 September
Round 6 The Bend Motorsport Park 15-17 November

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/11/19/s5000-reveals-car-2019-calendar-at-series-launch/

That's car 1.
They will need at least a dozen initial entries by May, so there is a lot of work to do.

I would like to see a summer series so that drivers from overseas can gain Superlicence points for Formula 1.

S5000 should be among the top 4 fastest open wheeler categories in the world. I think all (or most) are introducing new chassis for 2019. But, the V8s will revive great memories of the introduction of F5000 to Australia and others will sound like noisy vacuum cleaners..

Formula 2: 620 hp
Super Formula: 543 hp
Indycar: estimated 550–750 hp
S5000: 560 hp

E&OE.

Just an extra thought: Will Rusty French's $100,000 deposit transfer to one of the new cars?

quote:
The first Super5000 single seater has been sold ahead of a planned launch for the new category next year.

Prodrive Racing Australia co-owner Rusty French has acquired the first chassis which he plans to field for rising Australian open wheel driver Thomas Randle.

The sale was confirmed at the Wilson Security Sandown 500 where French handed over a $100,000 deposit for the car.

quote:
“I have always been interested in the 5000s, from back in the old days when they were running the Tasman Series and I think it is a fantastic series to be involved in,” said French.

“I have agreed to put Thomas (Randle) in one of these cars in the new category, the Super5000, and I believe that if we could end up with a grid of 16 or 18 of these cars it would be fantastic racing.

“The car that I have purchased is this car, there will be some variation to the mechanical side of it.

“I believe the chassis aero will stay the same, it could very well be that Chris Lambden’s engine could be the choice of the engine package to run, which would keep the cost of these cars down, but for the price of these cars they are similar money to a Carrera Cup car.

“For anybody that wants to go racing in open wheelers and have a big banger V8, I think they are fantastic.”

French sees the category as a perfect opportunity for young drivers like Randle, whom he has backed for several seasons, to hone their skills.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/15/first-super5000-car-sale-confirmed/

Edited by - oldtimer on 22 Sep 2019 11:09:39

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 19 Nov 2018 :  18:44:57  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hopefully signing them to the Shannons calendar isn't a premature death knell before it even gets off the ground...

not much point in the 'next best thing' being completely out of sight and out of mind...

why did Supercars even bother if they didn't want it on their calendar? or did they use all their money on the SnoozaUtes? lol

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1584 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 01 Dec 2018 :  14:13:03  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They did it to counter any traction FT5000 would've got. They don't care if it fails.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager

Australia
10586 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 01 Dec 2018 :  23:52:41  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm actually pretty disappointed. I pretty much missed it at Newcastle. On Saturday I was having lunch down near the hairpin watching the big screen when it ran around. Disappointed to not actually see it. Sunday I went off to grab lunch. Could hear it running around and knew that'd be it. Sounded awesome. On the way I spotted the back of it running through the staircase section. Looked cool, but I wish I had have seen it properly.

"Holden name goes, T8 and HRT band together and become: Chevrolet United National Team Sports, has a nice ring? Headed up by Roland of course!!" - REM

_Mford

"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11165 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  12:58:28  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Judging by the amount of news thats been pumped out by ARG, S5000 is full steam ahead?
Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1584 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  15:46:14  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Petty funny that Macrow went off and damaged the car in a demo as PI.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  17:25:55  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
it was the 'lightest' off at that (at least to start)... he was only about 1 tyre width wider than he should have been and unfortunately the car bounced and he took a slide down to t2 corner...

have to say though that with the speeds he was doing if there is contact at that point of PI it is going to be one nasty shunt :S

Go to Top of Page

Jam3s
Team Manager

2773 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  18:48:47  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by journeyman racer

Petty funny that Macrow went off and damaged the car in a demo as PI.

Hilarious....

Shame about the incident but that's the sport, particularly when drivers begin gaining confidence and pushing hard.
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4041 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  16:32:29  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
With the series start due in September, there is little information about any teams or drivers running these cars.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  16:53:44  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

With the series start due in September, there is little information about any teams or drivers running these cars.

think an interview with Garry said 14 cars would be ready... if we could have 10 for the first event that would be a good rumble to feel.

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4041 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  19:11:35  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
S5000 is a true parity series and the cars are being built.

Are there any teams buying orm racing the cars? Maybe one: GRM.

Are there any drivers signed? Maybe one: Tim macrow.

Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver

615 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  20:48:01  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I hate doing this, but there is apparently a list as long as Conrod Straight for people who would like to drive them, but the purchase line seems to be missing somewhere....

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'
-George Santayana
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10344 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  22:09:42  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Didn't Rusty French say that he would enter Thomas Randle a good while back?
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4041 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 14 Jun 2019 :  22:57:32  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fast by Ferracci

Didn't Rusty French say that he would enter Thomas Randle a good while back?

I understand Rusty placed a $100,000 deposit on a car, but that was a previous attempt at prototype.

It may apply to the current version, but uncertain.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17198 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 15 Jun 2019 :  22:09:57  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

talking with Tim over the weekend and I don't believe anything is guaranteed for him even at this point in time.

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4041 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  18:30:49  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The car tested at Ipswich, had a lot of front wing shake.

Surely that needs to be strengthened.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 9.07 seconds.