No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 Rule Changes to End Dominance?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  09:57:11  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are people who belive the upcoming major change in engine rules will "level the plauing field" or bring an end to Mercedes dominance ".

But will that really be the result?

I'd argue that the powerplant advantage Mercedes enjoyed for the first few years of the hybrid era were CAUSED by the major rule change.

Prior to that, in the V10/V8 era, the engines were fairly evenly matched.

And in the last couple of years of the hybrids, Mercedes' advantage in power has been reducing, to the point where many believe Ferrari have effectively caught up.

To me, this makes obvious sense. When there's a major change, it's the best funded teams who can afford to adapt to it best. After a few years (if the rules remain stable) other teams can catch up, while the majors are chasing diminishing returns.

So next year we're looking at yet another major change in powerplant rules, supposedly aimed at evening things out again.

I doubt it will work. Either Mercedes or Ferrari are going to be able to get the most out of the changes. Because they have the biggest budgets.

And yet there's every chance 2019 will be a very competitive year. Ferrari has pretty much caught up. The Honda engines seem to have been improving and RBR has a great chassis.

IMO it's when they STOP changing the rules that the competition gets closest, not when they keep bringing out changes supposed to even things up.

Edited by - karter on 14 Jan 2019 10:13:17

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22605 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  10:10:07  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My guess is that they think it will bring about a more level playing field but we all know that the better teams will still be fighting it out and the minnows, well, they will still be the minnows.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7281 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  12:09:42  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Case and point is our dinosaur spec Supercars. Run the same thing for 20 years and it'll be damn close (aero parity aside).
But even with the close racing we get the dinosaur nametag.

This is something F1 cannot have, so unfortunately the rules will forever change to at least appear to be the cutting edge of motoring technology (I say appear, because I don't think F1 will ever go 'full' electric, which will soon enough be 'the cutting edge' - there still needs to be some theatre).

At the crux of it you're right. A major rule change will filter the ones who did it better (generally with $$$) to the ones who did it worse. A damn good debate.
I bet Dan is hoping that the Renault comes out strong in 2020 - apart from the solid wage, that's what he'd be banking on with the move.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  15:27:12  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

My guess is that they think it will bring about a more level playing field but we all know that the better teams will still be fighting it out and the minnows, well, they will still be the minnows.

Yes, but I actually think that big changes, while well intentioned actually make things worse for the smaller teams.

If you consider engines, Mercedes have done a brilliant job with the hybrid. 50% thermal efficiency.

But now, after a few years, they'd be chasing tiny gains, while guys like Renault and Honda can make bigger gains, and close the gap, partly because they know it's possible. Mercedes might be looking for power gains where no gains are possible. (A litre of petrol contains a finite amount of energy)

I'm thinking the best way to get more teams competitive would be to leave the rules alone.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22605 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  18:08:46  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with you about leaving things alone to perhaps assist the smaller teams but there is the thought that F1 must be at the cutting edge of development.
If they don't move forward then there's that chance that they could lose relevance.
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 15 Jan 2019 :  04:13:42  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
True, but the new powerplant regs seem to be a step backwards. Getting rid of the turbo generator, which you would think would be a very useful technology for hybrid systems.

Edited by - karter on 15 Jan 2019 04:14:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.