V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 NZ PM, Jacinda Ardern
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  19:13:37  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

Yes he is. I realise you're in full hero-worship mode, and will find even the tiniest HINT of criticism completely intolerable but don't you think, if you DON'T want to have someone tried as a terrorist, it might be good idea for the leader of the government to avoid calling him a terrorist?

No, I enjoy criticism, both giving and getting, although some of us are better at both than others - and here's another "No": Jacinda Ardern knew what she was saying before she spoke those words.

I have advice from legally qualified people with expertise in the NZ Crimes Act 1961 (latest issue coincidentally: March 12th 2019). Let's not get bogged down in legal talk when neither you nor I are legally qualified, but I won't be worrying about any legal defence for this bloke (even if he ends up with legal defence) arguing that the PM influenced the jury by describing him as a terrorist instead of a murderer.

Thank you for your interest.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17525 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  19:59:55  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No too sure what your trying to achieve zaccy

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 20 Mar 2019 20:17:53
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  20:18:03  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Legendary Gerry

I thought it was the other way round in Australia.

That would make more sense I'd think.

Zac, I'm pretty sure you're not so stupid as to really think l was suggesting the PM's statement would affect the jury's verdict in this case. It's not like there's any shortage of evidence. He even filmed himself.

But it might support a pre-trial argument from the defense that he be tried as a terrorist, given that that's actually what he is, "and even the PM says so."

Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply omit the first sentence?

Edited by - karter on 20 Mar 2019 20:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9776 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  22:01:48  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Zac, I'm pretty sure you're not so stupid as to really think l was suggesting the PM's statement would affect the jury's verdict in this case.

Thanks for that. I was thinking that you're not so stupid either.

I'm willing to debate for as long as you want, but this thread "is getting a bit far off now". It was only to praise the leader of a country handling an awful situation well. "Full hero-worship mode" to use your kind words. Let's leave it at that, and if we want to debate the legal points of the future trial of the terrorist, we can start another thread.

Let's stay on topic, just like Trickyonne was doing so well:
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne
Yeah that's um,....yeah anyway...probably least said the best

I agree she has done a very good looking from the outside at least
I wish I'd said that.

Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2084 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  11:20:56  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She gets way more credit simply because of her gender. Left wing journos are tripping over themselves rushing to give her OTT praise.

triggered snowflake xox
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  16:20:41  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tommo11

She gets way more credit simply because of her gender. Left wing journos are tripping over themselves rushing to give her OTT praise.

If a woman said that, it might be arguable.
But a man saying it just comes across as a sexist pig.
Ironic sexism.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2084 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  17:15:44  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There are many contradictions in that regard when it comes to gender.

Aside from perhaps my wife, I don't really care about women being annoyed at some hard truths.

Maybe it is self aware "sexism"? If refusing to crawl up a womens arse to hand out praise for everything they do is sexist, I'm guilty as charged.

Jacinda seems to be a good PM who has done well in handling this awful situation. Tougher gun laws are a good but obvious step. She isn't a miracle worker or the second coming of Christ or Allah, which is the impression I get while reading sites such as the Guardian.

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 21 Mar 2019 19:27:04
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  18:13:01  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's a dilemma for you Tommo

Erdogan praised Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for her leadership.

"All Western leaders must learn from the courage, leadership and sincerity of New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12214589

_Mford

Edited by - djr18fan on 21 Mar 2019 18:13:54
Go to Top of Page

Bloopy
V8 Champion

New Zealand
1129 Posts
joined 20 Oct 11

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  19:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Bloopy's Homepage Send Bloopy a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

don't you think, if you DON'T want to have someone tried as a terrorist, it might be good idea for the leader of the government to avoid calling him a terrorist?

No, but it might be a good idea for the leader to examine why our laws have led to this situation and whether they need to be changed. But putting the terrorist away with the charges that give him the least amount of voice first is the priority.

quote:

More a case where the media is reflecting the inspiration that people are genuinely feeling out there. She's refreshing compared to the boring old male banker/finance types who hardly inspired anyone's daughters at all.
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2084 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  19:26:13  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There is nothing inspiring about listening to people, particularly women, tell me how great Jacinda Ardern is just because she is a woman. She isn't a more empathetic person just because she doesn't have a snake.

It isn't hard for a leader to look inspiring after a national tragedy. George Bush's approval went through the roof after 9/11 and history shows he was hardly an inspiring leader long term.

triggered snowflake xox

Edited by - tommo11 on 21 Mar 2019 19:32:59
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  04:19:53  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

There is nothing inspiring about listening to people, particularly women, tell me how great Jacinda Ardern is just because she is a woman. She isn't a more empathetic person just because she doesn't have a snake.

It isn't hard for a leader to look inspiring after a national tragedy. George Bush's approval went through the roof after 9/11 and history shows he was hardly an inspiring leader long term.

Who, other than you, has said she's inspirational or empathetic because she's a woman?

It sounds a lot like you don't like her because she's a woman.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

tommo11
Team Manager

Indonesia
2084 Posts
joined 12 Dec 09

Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  11:36:08  Show Profile  Visit tommo11's Homepage Send tommo11 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And this is the bull**** assumption we constantly get.

The reason we don't rate a woman is because she is a women. It means they become immune to criticism.

triggered snowflake xox
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  14:55:32  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

Here's a dilemma for you Tommo

Erdogan praised Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for her leadership.

"All Western leaders must learn from the courage, leadership and sincerity of New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12214589

Isn't that more of a dilemma for you? The guy who reckons he'll murder Aussies and send their bodies back in boxes says she's doing good. Is he what you'd consider a good judge?
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 22 Mar 2019 :  15:05:24  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Who has said she's inspirational because she's a woman?

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  07:56:20  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That nasty Sultan of Brunei has posed such a dilemma for Jacinda.

The wonderful "Religion of Peace" and the brutal barbarism of sharia law.

How can it be? How?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.58 seconds.