V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 Interesting facts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  13:54:45  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...then I'm religious.
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  14:53:01  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

If atheism is a religion...

Atheism is the lack of belief in god(s) Atheism is to religion what vacuum is to matter.

It's non-religion.

Virtue signaling sheepism is becoming the new leftist religion.

Edited by - karter on 09 Jun 2019 14:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  15:06:14  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is it leftist because the left one is lower than the right one or is there another reason...
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1729 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  16:27:58  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

Here's another interesting fact. 97% consensus ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/11/20/the-latest-meteorologist-survey-destroys-the-global-warming-climate-consensus/#499736e618c3

That was 6 years ago.

I dare you to read, in full,what the American Meteorological Society is saying now
https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/about-ams/ams-statements/statements-of-the-ams-in-force/climate-change1/

_Mford

Edited by - djr18fan on 09 Jun 2019 16:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:08:05  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Virtue signaling sheepism is becoming the new leftist religion.

I thought sheepism was an old religion long before virtue signalling became trendy. I've read the book.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He led out his people like sheep, and guided them in the wilderness like a flock.
But we the people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever.
I have gone astray, as a lost sheep.
All we like sheep have gone astray.
..like a lamb led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that is before its shearers is silent.
All the flocks of Kedar will be gathered to you, and the rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you.
Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture.
For thus says the Lord God: I will search for my sheep and seek them out.
I will set them together like sheep in a fold, like a flock in a pasture.
He had compassion for them because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves...
He will separate people, one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
For it is written: I will strike the shepherd and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.
...for you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the shepherd.
Jesus said: I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his flock.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

...then I'm religious.

Yes you are, and way more than you may think

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:20:51  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You could be right, but I don't think so. My father was a Methodist minister, I grew up in the Church of England, I joined the 'Lay Institute For Evangelism', I was a Sunday School teacher, I sang tenor in St Andrews for a few years - but that was all a long time ago.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:33:07  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

You could be right, but I don't think so. My father was a Methodist minister, I grew up in the Church of England, I joined the 'Lay Institute For Evangelism', I was a Sunday School teacher, I sang tenor in St Andrews for a few years - but that was all a long time ago.

I think any reasonable person who have read your posts would be aware that you have some very strong views on many things and you have many values in, life which you hold close.

Those values and beliefs are your religion....your religion has no god as such but you still live your life with those values and beliefs

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:50:11  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:

Here's another interesting fact. 97% consensus ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/11/20/the-latest-meteorologist-survey-destroys-the-global-warming-climate-consensus/#499736e618c3

That was 6 years ago.

I dare you to read, in full,what the American Meteorological Society is saying now
https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/about-ams/ams-statements/statements-of-the-ams-in-force/climate-change1/

That's what an organization says, and is likely pretty similar to what they would have said 6 years ago. But does it reflect the view of 97% of the members, as is always claimed?

Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:52:09  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally quoted by Trickyonne
...your religion has no god as such but you still live your life with those values and beliefs.

Having no religion isn't a religion, and having values and beliefs (well, things I know rather than just believe) doesn't need a religion - but these aren't interesting or facts. They're just JMHO.

Edited by - Zac on 09 Jun 2019 17:58:52
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  17:56:44  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

Having no religion isn't a religion, and having values and beliefs (well, things I know rather than just believe) doesn't need a religion - but these aren't interesting or facts. They're just JMHO.

Ok...so what happens when you die and how do you know ?

Generally speaking atheists believe in evolution..... evolution has not been proven as yet, despite what many believe...so you need faith to believe in it. They generally are mostly pro choice and we could talk about when life starts ect but you need faith to know for sure when....they generally believe in no after life...again, they donít know that for sure

These are just a few examples...Iím not saying that there is necessarily anything wrong but itís a fact....but not only do most atheist believe this, they stand up and support their views.....

How is that not a religion?

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 09 Jun 2019 18:05:27
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  18:07:35  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't know what happens when (after?) we die. None of us do, although some believe that they know they do. That's where religion comes in, but...

I don't believe that after we die, once our body stops breathing, heart stops pumping, brain stops functioning, and we get cremated, buried or just decompose that we (some non-material part of us, at least) floats away up to God's heaven to live for eternity. Furthermore, I don't want to live in a some non-human form for ever and ever amen anyway. I'd rather believe it was the salmon mousse, and that's it.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  18:16:11  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I don't know what happens when (after?) we die. None of us do, although some believe that they know they do. That's where religion comes in, but...

I don't believe that after we die, once our body stops breathing, heart stops pumping, brain stops functioning, and we get cremated, buried or just decompose that we (some non-material part of us, at least) floats away up to God's heaven to live for eternity. Furthermore, I don't want to live in a some non-human form for ever and ever amen anyway. I'd rather believe it was the salmon mousse, and that's it.

What if, when you die you go to a place which is way better @nd your physical body is in peak condition ?

This is interesting
https://creation.com/atheism-a-religion

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 09 Jun 2019 18:26:39
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot

Australia
11160 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

What if, when you die you go to a place which is way better @nd your physical body is in peak condition ?

This is interesting
https://creation.com/atheism-a-religion

That's more hypothetical than "interesting fact".
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack

Australia
9779 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  18:29:44  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Our physical body goes to heaven as well - and in peak condition? Is there some new religion that believes that?

BTW, evolution is evidence based while creationism is definitely not. If evolution is not yet proven, how much proof do Christians want? Christianity and other religions have spent the past century or so grudgingly accepting evolution and coming up with 'theistic evolution'. That is, reconciling their beliefs with the evidence. OTOH, I haven't seen atheists grudgingly or otherwise giving up evolution and accepting the Bible's version of the beginning of humankind with the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve.

I read the link: https://creation.com/atheism-a-religion
If he wants to call atheism a religion, that's fine. People interpret words in their own ways, but FWIW: I have checked various dictionaries, from the Oxford English Dictionary to the Australian Concise Oxford Dictionary, to the Macquarie Dictionary to Webster's and Merriam's dictionaries. They all define 'religion' as: "The belief in a superhuman controlling power, esp. in a personal god or gods entitled to obedience and worship" or similar words to the same effect. Those same dictionaries define 'atheism' as: "The theory or belief that God does not exist". According to those dictionaries, atheism is the opposite to religion and vice versa. It doesn't matter really. If someone wants to call atheism a religion, then they're entitled to their view.

Edited by - Zac on 09 Jun 2019 19:59:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds.