V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 Interesting facts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

Jam3s
Team Manager


2769 Posts
joined 02 Mar 13

 offline

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  23:11:09  Show Profile Send Jam3s a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

our life then has little or no point...what is the point of life ?..be good to each other ?...why ?...whats the point ?



There really is no point, other than to enjoy what we have and make the most of the opportunity we have been given. It's not depressing to believe in no afterlife or no god, there's certainly no connection between a lack of faith and depression for example. People just live for what they have.
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager



New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  06:49:12  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne



so if you have no religion, then what are your laws based on ?
who sets the parameters ?



We use our imagination. Just like people that believe in god.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager


11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  07:43:31  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

So if our ancestors are 2 rocks.....were did our morals come from ?



Empathy, T1. We know how we like to be treated. It makes sense that If we treat others that way, they'll treat us the same.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  07:46:09  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We have now moved from 'Interesting facts' to 'Interesting beliefs', and trying to find answers to the big questions: Why are we here? How did life and the universe begin? Is there a God?

I don't think a thread in 'General chit-chat' on V8 Central will come up with the answers, but so far we have some support for God, and not just any god, but the God of Christianity. The reasoning for a belief in God, like most of the other gods is "I can't explain these questions, so there must be a god." That leads to the next question: "Who created God?"

I like the idea of there being a God, and having been brought up in a Christian society in the 20th century, I didn't have much choice which god to believe in. There have been plenty of gods going back over the centuries: Apollo, Zeus, Isis, Buddha, Krishna, Allah, Vishnu, Thor, Odin, etc, hundreds and hundreds of them, including gods in some societies where they had different gods for different things. Then there are all the local gods of various tribes in Africa and elsewhere. I quite like Isis, the god from ancient Egypt who spread into Roman civilisation - although I don't really believe she existed, and I know there is a big supporter of Odin on this forum.

Let's keep following the god and religion we were brought up to follow, or choose our god and religion, or choose to listen, read, research and look for answers to those big questions. Mankind has been doing all of those since forever.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22226 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  07:54:35  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

We have now moved from 'Interesting facts' to 'Interesting beliefs', and trying to find answers to the big questions: Why are we here? How did life and the universe begin? Is there a God?

I don't think a thread in 'General chit-chat' on V8 Central will come up with the answers, but so far we have some support for God, and not just any god, but the God of Christianity. The reasoning for a belief in God, like most of the other gods is "I can't explain these questions, so there must be a god." That leads to the next question: "Who created God?"

I like the idea of there being a God, and having been brought up in a Christian society in the 20th century, I didn't have much choice which god to believe in. There have been plenty of gods going back over the centuries: Apollo, Zeus, Isis, Buddha, Krishna, Allah, Vishnu, Thor, Odin, etc, hundreds and hundreds of them, including gods in some societies where they had different gods for different things. Then there are all the local gods of various tribes in Africa and elsewhere. I quite like Isis, the god from ancient Egypt who spread into Roman civilisation - although I don't really believe she existed, and I know there is a big supporter of Odin on this forum.

Let's keep following the god and religion we were brought up to follow, or choose our god and religion, or choose to listen, read, research and look for answers to those big questions. Mankind has been doing all of those since forever.




Haha!
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  08:26:34  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne



so if you have no religion, then what are your laws based on ?
who sets the parameters ?



We use our imagination. Just like people that believe in god.



ok...so we imagine that murder,rape is wrong ?

or do you imagine that your are related to a rock ?

honestly...does that sound even remotely logical ?

anyway, I agree with Zac...I doubt this discussion will be proven here

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager


11736 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  09:46:09  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne



so if you have no religion, then what are your laws based on ?
who sets the parameters ?



We use our imagination. Just like people that believe in god.



ok...so we imagine that murder,rape is wrong ?

or do you imagine that your are related to a rock ?




So you believe you are the product of incest?

Anyway, your question is pointless. Nobody has suggested life evolved from rocks.
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  09:50:04  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karter

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne



so if you have no religion, then what are your laws based on ?
who sets the parameters ?



We use our imagination. Just like people that believe in god.



ok...so we imagine that murder,rape is wrong ?

or do you imagine that your are related to a rock ?




So you believe you are the product of incest?

Anyway, your question is pointless. Nobody has suggested life evolved from rocks.



big bang theory ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  10:31:18  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

anyway, I agree with Zac...I doubt this discussion will be proven here

To put it more clearly: I know this thread won't come up with the answers.

There's been quite a few links put up here for various reasons. Here is a long (48 minute) video relevant to this discussion. By coincidence, the guest speaker (Richard Dawkins) is debunking Islam, but his reasoning on religion in general is thought provoking, regardless of your own personal beliefs/opinions. For most of you, it will test your attention span, just as karter's link to the video of a journalist speaking at a council meeting in England tested mine. Join in around the 24 minute mark and just watch a few minutes if it's too long for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-Y5NWV9kc



Edited by - Zac on 27 Apr 2019 10:34:22
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  10:40:43  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
love listening to Dawkins, a brilliant mind...Christopher hitchens is another...brilliant minds, and very grumpy sad men

interesting tho, watch this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjhfKmRCZw

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 27 Apr 2019 10:43:34
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  11:27:44  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't find either Dawkins or Hitchens very grumpy or sad. Hitchens died some years ago, but both usually appear happy enough to me when discussing serious matters. I don't know about their emotional states or levels of happiness, but you could let me know. On the other hand, the proponents of most religions appear to be grumpy or sad to me. Are they?

I watched the link. (BTW, any link that is described as "Person A owns or destroys Person B" rarely does either.) Ravi Zacharias loses me when he tells us that Christianity is unique in being able to answer the four big questions of the origin of the universe, the meaning of life, morality and destiny. It has its own answers - as long as you believe and have faith. That is not unique, it is religion.

Edited by - Zac on 27 Apr 2019 11:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  11:44:31  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I don't find either Dawkins or Hitchens very grumpy or sad. Hitchens died some years ago, but both usually appear happy enough to me when discussing serious matters. I don't know about their emotional states or levels of happiness, but you could let me know. On the other hand, the proponents of most religions appear to be grumpy or sad to me. Are they?

I watched the link. (BTW, any link that is described as "Person A owns or destroys Person B" rarely does either.) Ravi Zacharias loses me when he tells us that Christianity is unique in being able to answer the four big questions of the origin of the universe, the meaning of life, morality and destiny. It has its own answers - as long as you believe and have faith. That is not unique, it is religion.



Thatís an interesting point of view...and yes I agree about the title, couldnít find the original clip

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager



New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  15:40:53  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I don't find either Dawkins or Hitchens very grumpy or sad. Hitchens died some years ago, but both usually appear happy enough to me when discussing serious matters. I don't know about their emotional states or levels of happiness, but you could let me know. On the other hand, the proponents of most religions appear to be grumpy or sad to me. Are they?

I watched the link. (BTW, any link that is described as "Person A owns or destroys Person B" rarely does either.) Ravi Zacharias loses me when he tells us that Christianity is unique in being able to answer the four big questions of the origin of the universe, the meaning of life, morality and destiny. It has its own answers - as long as you believe and have faith. That is not unique, it is religion.



Thanks for that synopsis Zac. My time will be better spent watching trailers of superhero movies. They are more believable.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17526 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  15:53:05  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by Zac

I don't find either Dawkins or Hitchens very grumpy or sad. Hitchens died some years ago, but both usually appear happy enough to me when discussing serious matters. I don't know about their emotional states or levels of happiness, but you could let me know. On the other hand, the proponents of most religions appear to be grumpy or sad to me. Are they?

I watched the link. (BTW, any link that is described as "Person A owns or destroys Person B" rarely does either.) Ravi Zacharias loses me when he tells us that Christianity is unique in being able to answer the four big questions of the origin of the universe, the meaning of life, morality and destiny. It has its own answers - as long as you believe and have faith. That is not unique, it is religion.



Thanks for that synopsis Zac. My time will be better spent watching trailers of superhero movies. They are more believable.



And thatís fair enough....so what do you believe then ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager



New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

 offline

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  07:22:12  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Anglican Preachet slams behaviour of some Christians

Darryl Ward, an Anglican lay preacher from Paraparaumu, urged Christians to instead show love and care "for our Muslim brothers and sisters"
Ward said Christianity had never been the "sole faith tradition" in New Zealand.
"Maori spiritual beliefs preceded the arrival of Europeans and Christianity, and other faith traditions from overseas soon followed," he said.
"While Christianity has been the dominant faith tradition since colonial days, its position has been eroding."
The Pew Research centre is predicting that by 2050, the proportion of Christians in New Zealand would slump from the current 57 per cent of the population to 44.7 per cent.
Ward said the increasing diversity made some uncomfortable.

He said Christians had more in common with Muslims than with followers of many other religions.

"As Jews, Christians and Muslims, we all worship the same God, the God of Abraham," Ward said.
"Muslims also recognise Jesus as a prophet and accept us as 'People of the Book'."
He said the phrase "Allahu Akbar" - used in the opening to the Muslim call to prayer meaning "God is great" - was also used in Palestinian churches.

"It is not our job to judge and exclude our Muslim brothers and sisters, or for that matter, anyone else because they worship God differently from us," Ward said.

"Jesus gave us two simple commandments; to love God and to love others. He also made it quite clear that it is through helping those in need that one gains eternal life."
"If we are to be true and faithful followers of Jesus the Christ, we should be showing love and compassion to our Muslim brothers and sisters, because right now they really need it,"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=12225738

_Mford

Edited by - djr18fan on 28 Apr 2019 07:33:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40  Topic Next Topic  











Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4.48 seconds.