V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 25 Years Ago...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karter
Team Manager

11580 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  15:17:03  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was the San Marino GP weekend in which both Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna died.

Thankfully F1 is much safer now.

Edited by - karter on 01 May 2019 19:51:02

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
16885 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  15:32:17  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
wow time goes by so fast.....imagine how fast it must go for Zac !!

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

karter
Team Manager

11580 Posts
joined 21 Sep 04

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  16:09:48  Show Profile Send karter a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember seeing a replay of the qualifying crash and Senna's crash live, and neither looked bad enough to be fatal, particularly Senna's where it was a fairly solid hit but mostly he just seemed to slide along the wall.

Safety standards have improved out of sight since those days.

Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7150 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  18:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I remember immediately thinking Senna was dead. I wouldnít have thought that normally, but the Ratzenger accident made you think differently that weekend. It was in the front of your mind.

It was an awful weekend. Rubens has his crash on the Friday, then Roland. Then there was a start line crash where wheels flew into the crowd. Then obviously Sennaís crash. Then finally I think it was Albereto who came down pitlane, lost a wheel and it plows through Ferrari mechanics. Just a shocker.

But from it came a renewed focus on safety that remained intact up until the death of Bianchi.

I remember going to bed that night going to bed and praying. I was a young kid and in no way religious. And finally falling to sleep hoping for a miracle. I woke up, heard the news and cried. Was in a **** mood at school that day and didnít want to talk to anyone. Mum and dad had to convince me to go.

Dad could relate with me though. Same thing happened with him and Jim Clark.

I will reminisce today and read some tributes that will no doubt pop up on line. He was brilliant, ruthless. One of a kind. And heís still missed. And so is Roland for that matter. A battler who got himself to the pinnacle. Just a terrible weekend.

Hard to believe itís 25 years, bloody hell iím getting old

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.

Edited by - Wrighty05 on 01 May 2019 18:25:13
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
16885 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 01 May 2019 :  18:28:15  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah it was a weird day...and when the news came out that he had passed away it was not unlike princess diana

I watched the senna movie recently and it brought back a lot of memories, and I remember watching the accident and expecting him to climb out....he was the best we have seen IMO and was on top of his game

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1048 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  19:02:46  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We the family bowed our heads and put our hands over our hearts that day here in SW Michigan.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds.