V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 National Anthem
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

abhibeckert
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
263 Posts
joined 10 Jan 18

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  15:42:47  Show Profile  Visit abhibeckert's Homepage Send abhibeckert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Betty has complained that Supercars didn't have the National Anthem "again" at Ipswich. Presumably that means the same has happened at other recent rounds?

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/29/erebus-boss-outraged-by-national-anthem-snub/

There was also a reference to anthems only ever happening on the Sunday race - not the Saturday races.

I've also heard somewhere recently (can't remember where) someone arguing that Supercars should treat the anthem similar to various football events - where anthems are played before international games and a few big local games but not every round. Basically they felt the anthem should be reserved for races like Bathurst, the Formula 1 support round, the ANZAC weekend round, etc.

I'm curious how the community feels about this? Which races should and shouldn't have an anthem? To me the "Sunday races only" tradition used up until recently seems arbitrary.

Edited by - abhibeckert on 30 Jul 2019 15:43:16

JD
V8 Champion

1051 Posts
joined 09 Mar 05

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  16:27:13  Show Profile  Visit JD's Homepage Send JD a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pffffffffffffft

No idea why Betty's getting her knickers in a knot about this as it's not necessary.

IIRC the anthems not sung at basic footy or cricket matches etc etc so why Supercars as they're nothing special.

Bathurst would be the only race to consider it as long as its sung by a hottie
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  16:39:00  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Love betty and the anthem

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager

10343 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  16:56:23  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The anthem should be played before the start of the day's racing, not just before a Supercars race
Go to Top of Page

LotusCortina
Transporter Driver

39 Posts
joined 07 Nov 16

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  17:39:30  Show Profile Send LotusCortina a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They can ditch the God botherer and the prayers as well. If I want religion I can go to a church.
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2524 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  18:03:22  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LotusCortina

They can ditch the God botherer and the prayers as well. If I want religion I can go to a church.

She was not happy 2 or so rounds ago about the Chaplin has been left out either
Go to Top of Page

TheArrow
formerly known as Spree

Australia
6385 Posts
joined 14 Jan 08

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  18:36:41  Show Profile Send TheArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds like the whinging attitude is contagious at Erebus...

Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2524 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  19:02:59  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by TheArrow

Some people just can't handle change
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry

Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  19:41:54  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

The "God botherer" you denigrate is a chaplain.
I believe he's non denominational and is there to support everyone in whatever way he can. I don't believe he tries to bother people but his ears are always open if someone wants to chat about anything.

The National Anthem is played at the beginning of most motorsports events.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17197 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  19:44:23  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

I am sure God isn't bothered by the chaplain's prayers lol :)

Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4035 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  19:46:27  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by TheArrow

You are entitled to your opinion, so is Betty, as are others.

However, Betty is a shareholder in the Supercars organisation and her comments add more weight IMHO.

The question is also about trust, and whether and undertaking was made by the CEO to a shareholder and to a major sponsor.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17197 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  19:50:58  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
for me the anthem is one of the most under-inspiring songs on the planet... I feel nothing at all when it is played other than a longing for it to be over perhaps...

if I had to choose when it should be played I would suggest Bathurst as that is our 'pomp and ceremony' but I really wouldn't even bother at any other round.

Go to Top of Page

bigcol
Team Manager

Australia
13314 Posts
joined 06 Feb 04

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  20:24:17  Show Profile Send bigcol a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just wish they'd ditch Advance Australia Fair.
It would have to be the crappest national anthem going.

I got in trouble at Primary School for not singing God save the Queen. ( another crap national anthem)
When i was asked why, i said i don't believe in God and why should i want to save the Queen from a foreign country

ONLY LITTLE BOYZ WEAR BOWTIES
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17530 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  20:41:03  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

I got in trouble at Primary School for not singing God save the Queen. ( another crap national anthem)
When i was asked why, i said i don't believe in God and why should i want to save the Queen from a foreign country

Showing your age col mate

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4035 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  22:42:43  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by bigcol

Showing your age col mate

It was God save the KING when I was introduced to it.
Go to Top of Page

bigem
A polar bear

Australia
15994 Posts
joined 22 Jun 04

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  22:47:22  Show Profile Send bigem a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am more concerned as to why Supercars has got rid of the chaplain and the anthem! Is it to appease non-bacon eaters? I think that is where it's at! If they don't like our way of life, we shouldn't be changing it for them, they can **** off back to the it sand ****hole!

New Commodore Hey! So you used your own money? Would you like to buy a used bridge?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 15.7 seconds.