V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics
 General Motoring
 Possible Commodore replacement
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldtimer
Team Manager

4030 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  22:03:08  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Possible Commodore replacement lands in Australia
By Alex Rae, 06 Aug 2019 News

quote:
General Motorsí all-new Cadillac CT5 sedan has touched down in Australia in production trim, not wearing any camouflage and previewing a potential replacement for the Holden Commodore.

This particular model, spotted fresh off the plane from the US in Melbourne, is the CT5 Premium Luxury AWD, recently announced in General Motorsí home market to start at $41,690 USD and available in either a rear- or all-wheel-drive layout.

With Holdenís replacement for the German-sourced Commodore in question after PSA Groupís purchase of GMís operations in Europe, Cadillac seems a logical replacement for the rebadged Opel Insignia. The US maker planned to introduce the marque here in 2008, but pulled out at the eleventh hour when the global financial crisis hit.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/possible-commodore-replacement-lands-in-australia

(I would add the photo if I knew how!)

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9571 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  22:25:08  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like sedans, I even kind of like Cadillacs BUT that C pillar treatment completely ruins the car; itís dreadful but more to the point why does GM and GM-H for that matter even bother with sedans? Theyíre dead (sadly). Why does there even need to be a Commodore replacement?
Go to Top of Page

djr18fan
Team Manager

New Zealand
1728 Posts
joined 06 Jul 06

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  04:34:04  Show Profile Send djr18fan a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

I like sedans, I even kind of like Cadillacs BUT that C pillar treatment completely ruins the car; itís dreadful but more to the point why does GM and GM-H for that matter even bother with sedans? Theyíre dead (sadly). Why does there even need to be a Commodore replacement?

Because some people like sedans.
And if you can make one in mass for a global market, selling small numbers of those in Australia and elsewhere becomes profitable.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2521 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  07:03:17  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by djr18fan

quote:
Originally posted by HRTKLR

Because some people like sedans.
And if you can make one in mass for a global market, selling small numbers of those in Australia and elsewhere becomes profitable.

Still plenty of people like and want sedans, that is why Holden sales plummeted once the Commodore was replaced.

And people did not believe me when I said Holden will be changing to a US based GM line up. It's coming, like it or not.
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6909 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  09:50:02  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There's been a lot of talk around HSV possibly bringing the CT6 (4.2L V8TT) Cadillac over, so this may not be far off the mark.
But just like 3 years ago, the Commodore name has to go. Buyers associate it with 'Australian made' and the new Commodore is just a reminder that it isn't.

The name brings more cons than pros.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4030 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  10:19:44  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
On the other hand, it may be that Holden is just doing test and development on the car, something they regularly do for GM worldwide.

Go to Top of Page

Kieron302
Team Manager

Australia
6295 Posts
joined 14 May 03

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  16:41:31  Show Profile Send Kieron302 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

On the other hand, it may be that Holden is just doing test and development on the car, something they regularly do for GM worldwide.

This.

Reuss said to get into the Euro market you need a RHD for the UK. UK/Europe aren't into big sedans so I just can't see them making a business case for a large RHD sedan
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4030 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  18:27:43  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kieron302

quote:

This.

Reuss said to get into the Euro market you need a RHD for the UK. UK/Europe aren't into big sedans so I just can't see them making a business case for a large RHD sedan

This cars is LHD.
Go to Top of Page

Coyote302
V8 Champion

Australia
1007 Posts
joined 16 Dec 09

Posted - 13 Aug 2019 :  07:10:09  Show Profile Send Coyote302 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just wishful thinking by a few Holden fan boys in the media. Sedan sales have been declining in Australia for years. Those buyers have moved to SUV's and utes That's why local manufacturing stopped. With the current poor sales of the re-badged Opel why would GM waste money developing this car for Australia when it's likely only a few will be sold?

Member 6,356,453 Church of Ambroseology

If you can't beat them, sook until you get the rules changed.

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
6909 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  11:19:37  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seems as though the PSA deal will continue to keep the Commodore name moving:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holden-psa-deal-still-on

Not sure the nameplate is doing them any favours, as stated here numoerous times by many.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

HRTKLR
No.1 Ford Fan

Australia
9571 Posts
joined 20 Dec 02

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  15:29:59  Show Profile Send HRTKLR a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

Seems as though the PSA deal will continue to keep the Commodore name moving:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/holden-psa-deal-still-on

Not sure the nameplate is doing them any favours, as stated here numoerous times by many.

I think it was a mistake calling the car Commodore (because it pissed so many people off) but I understand why they did it (establishing a new nameplate is a bloody hard task). I don't actually believe calling it anything else would've helped it. In fact nothing can help this car. It's decent to drive, reasonably cost effective to buy and run (although depreciation is a killer), it's a bad segment to be in with Camry the only real mover. The only thing that would've worked is if it was actually a real Commodore and it truly catered to Australian tastes but even then it wasn't selling in volumes to continue justifying its existence.
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2521 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  16:11:02  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
At least 3 year supply of ZBs stuck in yards, docks, warehouses etc.

The new GM branding will kick off alongside the ZB and other current models if it arrives

Edited by - troy01505 on 06 Sep 2019 16:12:18
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager

4030 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  18:14:30  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by troy01505

The new GM branding will kick off alongside the ZB and other current models if it arrives

is that opinion or fact or just trolling?
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17527 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  19:07:35  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Will be interesting how Holden plays this out...clearly the ZB and the astra have been a disaster and both cars are very good cars but people just arenít buying them.....do they keep flogging a dead horse ?

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2521 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 07 Sep 2019 :  08:41:03  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by troy01505

is that opinion or fact or just trolling?

There is actually 3 years worth of supply spread across the world based on sales numbers a couple months after production was halted. Predicted sale calculations were obviously wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds.