V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 Uluru to climb or not to climb
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17861 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  13:27:23  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What your thoughts on climbing the rock ?

I against it personally....I wouldnít want people climbing over my house, so ...

Thoughts?

Ford 2018 champions

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17266 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  13:42:39  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am open to it. To me it is just another rock. Sure it is an impressive rock but nothing more. I climbed it something like 25 years ago and it was worth the effort.

The more recent 'offensiveness' that has been proclaimed by the indigenous muddies the water for some. What makes that a joke to me is that I was listening to the radio a few days back and, from memory it was Pauline Hanson was in talks with the elders and she was going to be climbing Uluru with their blessing. Make up your mind. Either it is sacred or it isn't.

Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver



620 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  14:08:32  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The traditional owners don't want anyone climbing their sacred site. Fine, I won't. It means nothing to me, but it means a lot to them.

Same as a church....just a pile of rocks that is sacred to someone.

I think it is important to note that according to the Uluru website, climbing the rock started way back in 1936. We only looked at Aboriginals as fauna then, right up until 1967, so their point of view wouldn't have even been considered when the climbing started.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'
-George Santayana

Edited by - bludvl on 27 Aug 2019 14:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17861 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  14:13:14  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bludvl

The traditional owners don't want anyone climbing their sacred site. Fine, I won't. It means nothing to me, but it means a lot to them.

Same as a church....just a pile of rocks that is sacred to someone.




that's my line of thought too

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22443 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  14:38:44  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I climbed it nearly 50 years go.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9932 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  15:06:03  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If anyone really wants to climb Uluru, you've got 60 days left.

To climb or not to climb... I wouldn't, and I think our attitudes have changed over the past 50 years. Less than 20% of people who visit Uluru climb it these days, down from 80% about 20 years ago, and for most, it seems like something to tick off their bucket list more than anything else.

Bludvl said it best for me:
quote:
Originally posted by bludvl

The traditional owners don't want anyone climbing their sacred site. Fine, I won't. It means nothing to me, but it means a lot to them.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot



12738 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  15:29:28  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

I am open to it. To me it is just another rock. Sure it is an impressive rock but nothing more. I climbed it something like 25 years ago and it was worth the effort.

The more recent 'offensiveness' that has been proclaimed by the indigenous muddies the water for some. What makes that a joke to me is that I was listening to the radio a few days back and, from memory it was Pauline Hanson was in talks with the elders and she was going to be climbing Uluru with their blessing. Make up your mind. Either it is sacred or it isn't.



It's polite to ask to enter someones place and not just barge in.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers



Tonga
7296 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

 offline



Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bludvl

The traditional owners don't want anyone climbing their sacred site. Fine, I won't. It means nothing to me, but it means a lot to them.




This

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17266 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  15:59:00  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

I am open to it. To me it is just another rock. Sure it is an impressive rock but nothing more. I climbed it something like 25 years ago and it was worth the effort.

The more recent 'offensiveness' that has been proclaimed by the indigenous muddies the water for some. What makes that a joke to me is that I was listening to the radio a few days back and, from memory it was Pauline Hanson was in talks with the elders and she was going to be climbing Uluru with their blessing. Make up your mind. Either it is sacred or it isn't.



It's polite to ask to enter someones place and not just barge in.



that is true Albert. but we are talking about a rock, not your house.

I guess the question can extend then of what becomes "someone's place" because if you extend that and say that Suburb X is considered to be sacred ground then how would that be addressed?

Perhaps being in the middle of Oz and a place that not too many folk can make the trek to is a good thing to minimise the issue?

Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22443 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  16:21:02  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It seems, like a lot of other indigenous issues, that there's some who do and some who don't want it climbed.
Just like everything else in society, there's 2 sides to the story.

When I climbed it, it was with a number of aboriginals and other Aussies of British and European descent.
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9932 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  17:01:06  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

To me it is just another rock. Sure it is an impressive rock but nothing more.
Wasn't it Dick Johnson who said that?
Go to Top of Page

troy01505
Team Manager



Australia
2815 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  17:51:06  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It seems to be mostly the younger indigenous and those that are only a percentage. Every elder I know says it is not theirs but then most elders have a totally different view t6o the younger generations.

Edited by - troy01505 on 27 Aug 2019 17:51:58
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22443 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by troy01505

It seems to be mostly the younger indigenous and those that are only a percentage. Every elder I know says it is not theirs but then most elders have a totally different view t6o the younger generations.



Funny that hey!
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17861 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  18:17:34  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I climbed it when I was a kid....and thought it was pretty cool, but I remember going to the Olgas and we all said it was weird feeling there, so I do get the spiritual thing ...I think...Iíve been back to the the rock a few times but didnít climb it again

I own a little bit of land and if I was told people could walk through my property and I didnít have a say in it, Iíd be upset....I guess they own the rock so they can do what they like with it too

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot



12738 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  19:23:56  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

I am open to it. To me it is just another rock. Sure it is an impressive rock but nothing more. I climbed it something like 25 years ago and it was worth the effort.

The more recent 'offensiveness' that has been proclaimed by the indigenous muddies the water for some. What makes that a joke to me is that I was listening to the radio a few days back and, from memory it was Pauline Hanson was in talks with the elders and she was going to be climbing Uluru with their blessing. Make up your mind. Either it is sacred or it isn't.



It's polite to ask to enter someones place and not just barge in.



that is true Albert. but we are talking about a rock, not your house.

I guess the question can extend then of what becomes "someone's place" because if you extend that and say that Suburb X is considered to be sacred ground then how would that be addressed?

Perhaps being in the middle of Oz and a place that not too many folk can make the trek to is a good thing to minimise the issue?

Your logic is flawed.

It's someones place when they have the title to it. Religious/Sacred or not.

Other wise we can all camp out in your yard and you have no say in it. After all it's just the ground and not your house.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

falcon_cobra
Kiss Fanatic



Sweden
8823 Posts
joined 02 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  19:34:53  Show Profile  Click to see falcon_cobra's MSN Messenger address Send falcon_cobra a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wouldn't climb the rock, not for any cultural reasons, but because we are destroying one of the 7 wonders of nature. we only have one, you can not replace it.

_Mvolvo

Edited by - falcon_cobra on 27 Aug 2019 19:36:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  











Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds.