V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Series
 Formula One
 Miami - Second US GP Proposal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeamerica84
V8 Champion

USA
1208 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 01 Nov 2019 :  00:00:38  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could care less one way or another how this pans out, but I did find something interesting in this article. The jist of this is a second USGP in a parking lot and on the streets around the Miami football stadium, in 2021 at the earliest. Events like this have been run in Houston around the Astrodome and in New Jersey around the Meadowlands stadium, but those were both Indy Car adventures.

A stumbling block here is taking over some public roads for the weekend. There is pushback from city council members, which is not unexpected, for not all agree on things like this. But the bottom line (no pun intended) is that the Miami-Dade County Mayor, who is for this race, has the ultimate power to veto all pushbacks and subsequently approve the race for a go. I was shocked that one official in the city had that much power.

Of course, he could be voted out afterwards, or given a more extreme form of criticism - shot. I mean, this IS America. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, and everyone packing heat.

------------

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/10/31/f1-still-engaged-with-miami-despite-new-planning-challenges/

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey says that the championship is still ‘engaged’ with plans for a Miami street race despite new planning challenges which threaten the event.

However, Miami-Dade County commissioners passed two significant resolutions at a public meeting earlier this week.

One necessitates another public hearing before the event can be approved, and another allows commissioners to prohibit road closures for the event.

The latter could impact on the current circuit proposal, which falls largely within the car park of the Dolphins’ Hard Rock Stadium but still incorporates some public streets.

Speaking about the setbacks in a Formula 1 Group investor meeting, Carey said, “Miami, we are still engaged.

“There are clear hurdles to get over, we have to address; we had a vote yesterday that created new issues for us to try and address.

“I wasn’t in Miami, so I don’t have the details as what are the steps from here to there, but we do have hurdles to overcome now to put the race in Miami, but that is ongoing.”

Former county commissioner Betty T Ferguson had led the pushback from a group of residents against the F1 grand prix in the meeting, claiming that it would have “deadly effects” on those who live and study nearby.

Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver Gilbert stated at the meeting, “We forget that there’s a whole community of people who will be impacted by this.

“I’m not against events at the stadium, but let’s be clear – all events are not equal and all events are not welcome.”

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez, however, supports the grand prix and said, “It’s a world class event, like having a Super Bowl here in Miami Dade County every year.”

Miami Gardens is a city within the Miami-Dade County, and Mayor Gimenez does have a power of veto which could pave the way for the event.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life

troy01505
Team Manager

Australia
2827 Posts
joined 25 Feb 08

Posted - 01 Nov 2019 :  12:09:15  Show Profile Send troy01505 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I’d prefer US street race over another boring circuit race being add or swapped on the calendar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.