V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Vale Mike Raymond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7297 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  10:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news to report on the passing of Mike Raymond yesterday.

A lot of us would’ve felt we knew Mike with him being in our lounge rooms every second weekend.

40 years since the introduction of race cam, Mike was instrumental in that. He understood how to promote the sport to the masses. And he loved his speedway!

It will be a somber mood at Sandown this week. Appropriately it’s retro round where we can reminisce on the profound impact Mike had on the sport.

Condolences and thoughts to his family.

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.

jamolad
Premenstrual Icelandic Wombat

Australia
1262 Posts
joined 08 Dec 06

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  10:58:37  Show Profile Send jamolad a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very sad news indeed and echo condolences and thoughts to family.

Such a recognisable voice - like Fanfare for the Common Man, to hear his voice just immediately takes me back Those Days.
Go to Top of Page

Mechz
Pit Crew

248 Posts
joined 16 Mar 09

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  11:01:48  Show Profile Send Mechz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Bugger, he was the best voice in motorsport for decades. I can still hear him say "HE'S GONE OFF THE TRACK AND INTO A TREE!" so vividly.

Go to Top of Page

Henry
Jaded Old Coot

Australia
3363 Posts
joined 12 Feb 04

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  11:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Henry's Homepage Send Henry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He was often criticized from some corners for his Americanisms, which reflected his love of speedway. He was the figure standing at the centre of the changing of motor racing commentary from hushed, almost golf-like reverence, to reflect the rising tension and excitement of the on-track action.

Definitely an unforgettable part of my memories of Australian racing from my formative years, sad to hear he’s left the booth. Vale.

Dad once said "son, arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. Even if you're a grand master, playing at your best, the pigeon is just going to **** on the board and then walk around like it won".
Go to Top of Page

ASH_03
Team Manager

Australia
1976 Posts
joined 26 Oct 08

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  12:08:17  Show Profile  Click to see ASH_03's MSN Messenger address Send ASH_03 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Really could feel the emotion from Crompo in sharing the news of his passing as well, clearly the biggest influence in his career.

As someone who enjoyed Mike Raymond's commentary post the era when he did his best work - his voice will always be the backing track to my favourite moments I found from diving back into the late 80's and early 90's touring car racing! Vale Mike Raymond

Penske | Prodrive

_Mford
Go to Top of Page

Tasv8
Fujitsu Driver

Australia
746 Posts
joined 17 Mar 09

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  12:29:28  Show Profile Send Tasv8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This Bathurst start has always stuck with me together with his "get your backside trackside" comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbU3gRfAZrs

Edited by - Tasv8 on 08 Nov 2019 12:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God

Vatican City
17867 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  12:56:58  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
huge supporter of speedway too

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

drivexby
Pit Crew

Australia
173 Posts
joined 19 Sep 02

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  13:01:13  Show Profile  Visit drivexby's Homepage Send drivexby a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mike certainly added to the excitement of a race. I recall Doug Mulray once describing him as the "round mound of sound". Vale Mike.
Go to Top of Page

mosscano
Fujitsu Driver

Australia
653 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  14:22:04  Show Profile  Visit mosscano's Homepage Send mosscano a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

The word "legend" get thrown around far too easily these days but in the case of Mike Raymond it is richly deserved. His contribution to broadcasting and motorsport can not be undersold.

Thank you for providing so many fond memories, Vale Mike Raymond.

Go to Top of Page

Sonic

Australia
17268 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  14:23:39  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Would love for the fella to be laid to rest at a permanent racetrack somewhere... to permanently have his "backside trackside"

Have started to try to see if I can find a red jacket to wear for the weekend in his honour.

Go to Top of Page

Darren351
Team Manager

Australia
5120 Posts
joined 12 Jul 04

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  18:48:34  Show Profile Send Darren351 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
RIP Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7297 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  20:16:07  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was pretty upset last night when I found out and have been checking out various videos today

https://youtu.be/eeEnSK8mRQ8

RIP05

_Mholden

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

Go to Top of Page

journeyman racer
Team Manager

Australia
1608 Posts
joined 12 Nov 13

Posted - 10 Nov 2019 :  10:08:39  Show Profile Send journeyman racer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
People inevitably pas away. But this is one of the genuinely **** days of Australian motorsport.

RIP.

No1 fan of James Courtney's ex-wife!
Go to Top of Page

tusker
Formula Ford Driver

357 Posts
joined 29 Nov 07

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  18:30:52  Show Profile  Visit tusker's Homepage Send tusker a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
RIP Mike Raymond. He was an essential part of when I first got interested in Australian motorsport during the 80s. As a matter of fact, it was his passion for the sport that stoked my own.

Thanks for the passion and the vision, Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers

Tonga
7297 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

Posted - 13 Nov 2019 :  22:14:58  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mike was laid to rest today

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/13/raymond-remembered-as-the-sound-of-a-generation/

RIP05

_Mholden

Go to Top of Page

slugger
Transporter Driver

41 Posts
joined 19 May 04

Posted - 14 Nov 2019 :  14:07:22  Show Profile  Visit slugger's Homepage Send slugger a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whilst Mike Raymond may have been instrumental in the rise of Supercar, and the demise of Group A, he was also instrumental in the death of Australian Motorsport as we knew it.
Bye bye Miss American Pie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds.