No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8 Supercar Fantasy League
 2020 V8CFL - Chat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1259 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  07:55:15  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As 2020 has arrived, it is my intention to continue with running the V8 Central Fantasy League.

Please use this thread as a chat room for all issues and topics associated with the aforementioned league. As time goes by, signups, registration, team roster changes, etc., will be associated with the proper threads to be created soon.

A few things I would like to point it is that the basic format of the V8CFL will remain the same. There will be some tweaks, however. I would like to hear some of your feedback with respect to what I am thinking of doing for 2020. The tweaks center around tiebreakers.

Now, the last thing I want to happen is a tie for any round. The 2019 tiebreaker was the Group F drivers. This worked well, however, when identical team rosters meet, the tiebreaker was decided in favor of the lower ranked team on the table amongst the tied.

For 2020, I would like to change this up a little, and said idea came to me while watching BTCC. BTCC uses ballast weight. The higher up the ladder you are, the more ballast you have to carry. The V8CFL can do this with "points ballast". I am thinking of giving out one point more, per round, based on where the competitor is on the table.

Last year we had 21 members. So, a typical race, before any points are tallied, would be to issue an inverted number of points per position.

1st - none
2nd - 1
3rd - 2
4th - 3..... and so on to
19th - 18
20th - 19
21st - 20

This will eliminate ALL ties EVERY race. However, it will also keep the field tighter, as some members will be getting up to 20 points extra for each race of that weekend. Some may like this idea, some may not. It is a tad gimmicky, but it will work. I also think that the ballast points will even out over the course of the season, too. Should we use them for the mano-o-mano Tournament, though?

If we do not do THIS, my next option would be, for identical teams, to somehow determine which Group F driver would be the first tiebeaker. Not so much the higher finisher per race in Group F, but a designated Group F #1.

Let's say the tied competitors have Jack Smith and Macauley Jones as their Group F pilots. We'll rotate the first Group F driver every round, whereas one week one competitor will have Smith as their first Group F driver, while the other has Jones as their's. The next round, we flip flop them - as long as the rest of the rosters are identical. This format might also spread the identical camps out a bit over the long haul.

We could also include MORE Group F drivers, but when rosters are identical, rosters are identical.

I could also step in and make the rosters NOT identical by negating a roster move, but I would rather not have to step in like that. The less government, the better, in this case. However, I might have to implement this option if we come out of the gates with identical team rosters for two or more competitors.

So early on, tiebreakers are my main issue.

The life of a Tsar is tough sometimes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I mean, look what happened in Russia to Nicholas II back in 1917:

The riled up Bolsheviks stormed his Winter palace and the next thing you know, our good mate Nick received the highest form of criticism - assassination.

I would like to suggest that there no need for such violence in the V8CFL. If anyone wants to try for a revolt or coup, without putting up a fight, I will give you the V8CFL, the palace, the crown, the jewels, and even my old lady. Just let me slip out the back door with a few beers.

Chat on men, and let us enjoy the upcoming 2020 season.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life

SportsExtra_Motorsport
V8 Champion

New Zealand
917 Posts
joined 29 Nov 08

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  09:50:32  Show Profile  Visit SportsExtra_Motorsport's Homepage  Click to see SportsExtra_Motorsport's MSN Messenger address Send SportsExtra_Motorsport a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
might be left of field but what about implementing a blast from the past. when i first joined up the fantasy league was either a single driver or two drivers and you picked up a "manufacturer(team)" and had x amount of dollars to spend. this with the weight penalty could spice it up too :)

Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1259 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 16 Jan 2020 :  03:31:42  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SportsExtra_Motorsport

might be left of field but what about implementing a blast from the past. when i first joined up the fantasy league was either a single driver or two drivers and you picked up a "manufacturer(team)" and had x amount of dollars to spend. this with the weight penalty could spice it up too :)

I remember that format very well, SEM. Like you said you could have two drivers or be a privateer and run one. Two separate tables.

The format in itself was great. To set that up at season's launch the moderator would have to be very good at putting dollar amounts on drivers and manufacturers/teams. If I also remember correctly, the dollar values would be adjusted part-way through the season.

That type of formula is well above me - setting dollar values. I can clump a few drivers together and let the chips fall where they may. My formula is a lot simpler.

But for me to set a dollar level for all, and then a maximum amount for each team owner, I do not have the confidence in myself to do this properly. One would have to clip the values perfectly enough and then determine the max value allowed to have the whole thing fall in order.

The formula I use now is actually one we used at work here in the States, starting in 1994, for a NASCAR Fantasy League. I got it out of Winston Cup Scene - a periodical newspaper. Thus I am comfortable with it.

However, with you mentioning the old formula, perhaps we can bring back part of that era with privateer teams. Something like only choosing a few drivers well low on the table which will gain minimal points as privateer teams generally do when compared to factory teams. Leave the Red Bull Holdens and DJRTPs away from these choices. Not this year, mind you, but maybe down the stretch.

Thanks for you input, but like I said, I do not have the confidence in myself to utilize a formula as we recall from years back.

And besides, those leagues back then rarely made it from start-to-finish. I can manage my formula easily enough to do so. A league moderator owes it to the members to at least finish it off properly.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life

Edited by - mikeamerica84 on 16 Jan 2020 03:33:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.