No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8 Supercar Fantasy League
 2020 V8CFL - Chat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  07:55:15  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As 2020 has arrived, it is my intention to continue with running the V8 Central Fantasy League.

Please use this thread as a chat room for all issues and topics associated with the aforementioned league. As time goes by, signups, registration, team roster changes, etc., will be associated with the proper threads to be created soon.

A few things I would like to point it is that the basic format of the V8CFL will remain the same. There will be some tweaks, however. I would like to hear some of your feedback with respect to what I am thinking of doing for 2020. The tweaks center around tiebreakers.

Now, the last thing I want to happen is a tie for any round. The 2019 tiebreaker was the Group F drivers. This worked well, however, when identical team rosters meet, the tiebreaker was decided in favor of the lower ranked team on the table amongst the tied.

For 2020, I would like to change this up a little, and said idea came to me while watching BTCC. BTCC uses ballast weight. The higher up the ladder you are, the more ballast you have to carry. The V8CFL can do this with "points ballast". I am thinking of giving out one point more, per round, based on where the competitor is on the table.

Last year we had 21 members. So, a typical race, before any points are tallied, would be to issue an inverted number of points per position.

1st - none
2nd - 1
3rd - 2
4th - 3..... and so on to
19th - 18
20th - 19
21st - 20

This will eliminate ALL ties EVERY race. However, it will also keep the field tighter, as some members will be getting up to 20 points extra for each race of that weekend. Some may like this idea, some may not. It is a tad gimmicky, but it will work. I also think that the ballast points will even out over the course of the season, too. Should we use them for the mano-o-mano Tournament, though?

If we do not do THIS, my next option would be, for identical teams, to somehow determine which Group F driver would be the first tiebeaker. Not so much the higher finisher per race in Group F, but a designated Group F #1.

Let's say the tied competitors have Jack Smith and Macauley Jones as their Group F pilots. We'll rotate the first Group F driver every round, whereas one week one competitor will have Smith as their first Group F driver, while the other has Jones as their's. The next round, we flip flop them - as long as the rest of the rosters are identical. This format might also spread the identical camps out a bit over the long haul.

We could also include MORE Group F drivers, but when rosters are identical, rosters are identical.

I could also step in and make the rosters NOT identical by negating a roster move, but I would rather not have to step in like that. The less government, the better, in this case. However, I might have to implement this option if we come out of the gates with identical team rosters for two or more competitors.

So early on, tiebreakers are my main issue.

The life of a Tsar is tough sometimes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I mean, look what happened in Russia to Nicholas II back in 1917:

The riled up Bolsheviks stormed his Winter palace and the next thing you know, our good mate Nick received the highest form of criticism - assassination.

I would like to suggest that there no need for such violence in the V8CFL. If anyone wants to try for a revolt or coup, without putting up a fight, I will give you the V8CFL, the palace, the crown, the jewels, and even my old lady. Just let me slip out the back door with a few beers.

Chat on men, and let us enjoy the upcoming 2020 season.

The V8CFL - Without fantasy, life is simply life

SportsExtra_Motorsport
V8 Champion

New Zealand
932 Posts
joined 29 Nov 08

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  09:50:32  Show Profile  Visit SportsExtra_Motorsport's Homepage  Click to see SportsExtra_Motorsport's MSN Messenger address Send SportsExtra_Motorsport a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
might be left of field but what about implementing a blast from the past. when i first joined up the fantasy league was either a single driver or two drivers and you picked up a "manufacturer(team)" and had x amount of dollars to spend. this with the weight penalty could spice it up too :)

Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 16 Jan 2020 :  03:31:42  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SportsExtra_Motorsport

might be left of field but what about implementing a blast from the past. when i first joined up the fantasy league was either a single driver or two drivers and you picked up a "manufacturer(team)" and had x amount of dollars to spend. this with the weight penalty could spice it up too :)

I remember that format very well, SEM. Like you said you could have two drivers or be a privateer and run one. Two separate tables.

The format in itself was great. To set that up at season's launch the moderator would have to be very good at putting dollar amounts on drivers and manufacturers/teams. If I also remember correctly, the dollar values would be adjusted part-way through the season.

That type of formula is well above me - setting dollar values. I can clump a few drivers together and let the chips fall where they may. My formula is a lot simpler.

But for me to set a dollar level for all, and then a maximum amount for each team owner, I do not have the confidence in myself to do this properly. One would have to clip the values perfectly enough and then determine the max value allowed to have the whole thing fall in order.

The formula I use now is actually one we used at work here in the States, starting in 1994, for a NASCAR Fantasy League. I got it out of Winston Cup Scene - a periodical newspaper. Thus I am comfortable with it.

However, with you mentioning the old formula, perhaps we can bring back part of that era with privateer teams. Something like only choosing a few drivers well low on the table which will gain minimal points as privateer teams generally do when compared to factory teams. Leave the Red Bull Holdens and DJRTPs away from these choices. Not this year, mind you, but maybe down the stretch.

Thanks for you input, but like I said, I do not have the confidence in myself to utilize a formula as we recall from years back.

And besides, those leagues back then rarely made it from start-to-finish. I can manage my formula easily enough to do so. A league moderator owes it to the members to at least finish it off properly.

29/1:

As you work on your 2020 liveries, The Arrow, who runs the Media Center, has requested that you also make your liveries on a white background for submital to him for the annual end-of-the-season contest. Liveries can be of any nature for the Media Center posts, but if not on a white background please submit a white background one to him via PM.

Edited by - mikeamerica84 on 29 Jan 2020 21:54:23
Go to Top of Page

Helix
Formula Ford Driver

Australia
271 Posts
joined 09 Dec 07

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  21:58:47  Show Profile Send Helix a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
how about a system where eg. scotty svg jdub davy be in group 1, then like fabs and rick and chaz and that group in group 2 and then the rest are tie breaker drivers so if arrow and myself chose scotty and chaz as our main 2 then i might have lebroq, he might have hazelwood so we would never tie, u could monitor who chose what and make it know if there was any conflicts with duplicate teams.

its seems like a bit of a first in best dressed setup but its just an idea and presents alot of different team options.

i also like the current format if i can be a fence sitter lol

2017 V8C Fantasy league series champion

2018 Enduro Cup Champions: Shogun Autosport / Helix and TGI Racing / Professor

2020 V8C Fantasy league E-series champion
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 01 Feb 2020 :  10:41:28  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Helix

how about a system where eg. scotty svg jdub davy be in group 1, then like fabs and rick and chaz and that group in group 2 and then the rest are tie breaker drivers so if arrow and myself chose scotty and chaz as our main 2 then i might have lebroq, he might have hazelwood so we would never tie, u could monitor who chose what and make it know if there was any conflicts with duplicate teams.

its seems like a bit of a first in best dressed setup but its just an idea and presents alot of different team options.

i also like the current format if i can be a fence sitter lol

An interesting idea - using drivers higher up the chain to decide tiebreakers.

Said idea will be tabled. Thanks for your input, H.

All: Look for the formation of the 2020 V8CFL to hit the forum within a week, probably early next week. That will give all ~ two weeks to sign up and create their rosters.

Edited by - mikeamerica84 on 01 Feb 2020 10:53:31
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7394 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 01 Feb 2020 :  12:20:36  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Iím probably no help, happy to sit on the fence with whatever way you want to run it, Mike.
You do a fantastic job year after year.

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 03 Feb 2020 :  18:28:53  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
2020 rules and format are posted, men.

Some notable changes:

Five groups. Not all cars/drivers are listed - only 18.

Group E is the tiebreaker group, but with drivers of a higher caliber than last season.

Groups A-D score for non-enduro rounds. For Enduro Rounds, all groups, A-E will score.

Four total changes for Groups A-D throughout the season. Two total changes for Group E.

If any identical teams are formed, for tiebreaking purposes, a success ballast formula will be implemented. Prior to each round, additional points will be given to each team based on their table position:

1 +1 point
2 +2 points
3 +3 points
4 +4 points
5 +5 points
6 +6 points, and so on.

Said ballast will be added prior to the round, affecting all teams in one way shape or form, and not changed throughout that round. Now, this is only if we have any identical teams.

So...... let us not try for identical teams.

Any questions, feel free to fire away.

4/2:

A little clarification on the format for 2020, as I have been asked a few times via PM:

The reason I left out the Garry Jacobsons, Bryce Fullwoods, Jack Smiths, etc., is because I wanted the tiebreakers to be settled in a "higher" class of drivers. Nothing against the aforementioned.

As signups go on, there could be an issue arising where we could get identical teams right off the bat. If that is the case I will have to come up with some type of team difference for Adelaide and I may employ the Garry Jacobsons, Bryce Fullwoods, Jack Smiths, etc., in some way, shape, or form. For Round 1 I cannot use success ballast.

I wanted the Enduro Rounds to stand out from the rest, too, hence the scoring of the Group E drivers. Now, for the Enduros, I could possibly put the Garry Jacobsons, Bryce Fullwoods, Jack Smiths, etc., back in the mix and use THEM for the tiebreakers, but that will be determined down the line. I hate to change the format now that I have started the campaign, but I have the capability to do so. Maybe when we start closing in on the Enduro Rounds I'll bring in a Group F for those three rounds? I have amended the rules to note this possibly occurring. Perhaps after a few rounds we could take up a vote to bring in Group F for the Enduros? To be continued....

Thanks for starting the Paint Shed, Arrow. That will only help the V8CFL.

SportsExtra Motorsport, your Nissan SUV morph is fine with me. Not a car, but.... close enough. Besides, with your livery abilities, you could enter a school bus and it would look like a race car.

But we are off and running men. You don't know what hurdles you are going to hit until you do so.

5/2:

I have created a Current/Approved Teams thread for all members. All cars per team are shown along with the choice comparison for all groups. It will be updated as we go, of course. Please check your rosters for errors.

Edited by - mikeamerica84 on 07 Feb 2020 23:31:55
Go to Top of Page

SportsExtra_Motorsport
V8 Champion

New Zealand
932 Posts
joined 29 Nov 08

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  12:23:39  Show Profile  Visit SportsExtra_Motorsport's Homepage  Click to see SportsExtra_Motorsport's MSN Messenger address Send SportsExtra_Motorsport a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ignition

it's been a few years since I decided to participate in livery designing, so...

Ford Performance Racing's 2020 Fantasy League livery

thought i'd continue the tradition

Actually love this one!

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7394 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  12:59:17  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That wins.
Maybe a blue edition for the sister car?

"Fordís Bathurst winning bonus didnít even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977
Go to Top of Page

ignition
Terminator

2486 Posts
joined 30 Jan 08

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  13:20:00  Show Profile Send ignition a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by skaifeman

That wins.
Maybe a blue edition for the sister car?

might work on a 2000 spinoff for the second car me thinks

thank you for the kind words gentlemen!

edit:

Edited by - ignition on 06 Feb 2020 21:28:37
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  23:23:07  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Early signups for the V8CFL are progressing well. No duplicate teams.

A couple of things, though: If the Tekno/Sydney deal goes sideways and Courtney loses his ride, whoever has chosen the 19 car will be short a car. If this becomes the case, I will assign any team who "lost" the 19 car with whatever car has been chosen the least in Group E at that time, free of charge, and without penalty. I feel that would be fair.

Also, I am playing it by ear with respect to identical teams for Round 1. If that is the case I can implement Group F effective immediately. However that could hit a snag for all Team Principals will have to submit a Group F (choices) and that might not get done before the round starts.

I'll come up with something. Anyone with any ideas for a Round 1 tiebreaker? After that, if I have to go to ballast, it will work itself out. Only Round 1 will be the tricky one.<-- Did I just say that?

Go to Top of Page

SportsExtra_Motorsport
V8 Champion

New Zealand
932 Posts
joined 29 Nov 08

Posted - 07 Feb 2020 :  17:40:32  Show Profile  Visit SportsExtra_Motorsport's Homepage  Click to see SportsExtra_Motorsport's MSN Messenger address Send SportsExtra_Motorsport a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

trying out some things

Edited by - SportsExtra_Motorsport on 11 Feb 2020 02:02:48
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 07 Feb 2020 :  23:21:29  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have come up with a solution for tiebreakers. Please follow along:

I have immediately instituted Group F cars into the V8CFL. These are cars 2, 3, 4, 22, 34, and 35. Six cars.

Everyone will choose ALL SIX cars in Group F and put them in an order, 1-6, with your first preference 1 and last preference 6. Like this:

1- 34
2- 4
3- 2
4- 22
5- 35
6- 3

If there are identical team rosters and Group E does not break the tie, Group F will be used with the preferred car (1) used first and the next car (2) used second, and so on. If rosters are identical with respect to Group F also, I will shuffle the order to make sure a tie can be broken. I hate to do this, but I will.

So, for all non-enduro rounds, Group E is not scored and used to break ties. If identical rosters are present, Group F will break the tie as noted above. Now this is only for identical rosters. If there are no identical rosters, Group F will NOT be used.

For Enduro Rounds, Group E will score points as noted in the rules, and Group F will be the tiebreakers. At no time will Group F ever score points - only break ties as noted above.

Now, this eliminates me having to implement a success ballast formula.

However, it also means that the following members must go back to the Team Formation Thread and choose your order of preference for all Group F drivers. If you do NOT do this, I will do it for you. This must be done prior to Adelaide.

ignition
skaifeman
TheArrow
Professor
CP
Helix
mikeamerica84
SportsExtra Motorsport

Group F will also have unlimited changes for re-shuffling the order of preference for each round.

I hate to have to go back and have all who have signed up re-do their rosters, but this will head off what I can see as a freight train coming right at us after a few rounds.

The Rules thread and the Team Formation Thread have been updated to reflect this change. I also listed it as an amendment.

Thank you for your understanding. Believe me, this is better than success ballast and will prevail in the long run, along with getting the rest of the V8 cars in the V8CFL. I think I erred when I came up with my original format but feel this will play out well.

Edited by - mikeamerica84 on 10 Feb 2020 22:22:07
Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7394 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  10:12:30  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Noted, and done.

I guess just one for splitting hairs... can we swap the order of our Group F throughout the year, at the price of a single trade (per re-shuffle), or free? Or not at all?

Edited by - skaifeman on 08 Feb 2020 10:38:13
Go to Top of Page

mikeamerica84
V8CFL Tsar

USA
1485 Posts
joined 11 Jan 08

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  12:41:10  Show Profile Send mikeamerica84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

Noted, and done.

I guess just one for splitting hairs... can we swap the order of our Group F throughout the year, at the price of a single trade (per re-shuffle), or free? Or not at all?

Group F has unlimited shuffling allowed. Now, if the second Tekno car falls through, wherever you have the 22 car in for order will just be deleted and the next car will move up to that spot - if the 22 car is not on the bottom to begin with.

Go to Top of Page

skaifeman
Team Manager

Australia
7394 Posts
joined 01 Aug 09

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  13:49:19  Show Profile Send skaifeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikeamerica84

quote:

Noted, and done.

Group F has unlimited shuffling allowed.

You keep writing these rules, and I keep neglecting to read them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds.