No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 V8Supercars Australia
 V8Supercar Series
 Supercars are go at NT!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14497 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  19:18:17  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.motorsport.com/general/news/motorsport-to-resume-in-the-northern-territory/4786895/

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.


Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  20:55:54  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
hope so...

can't believe they still haven't officially canned Winton... with it being run with gov't money for the region and subsidised a bit by BAC on a regular year, I don't know that BAC could take the financial loss of running the event without a crowd?

at any rate I can't see Cap'n Dan allowing over 1000 people to congregate up the road in 5 weeks time when he is only starting to think about letting you have a mate over for a beer...

Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot



Australia
11429 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  22:54:48  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Its only club and state level for now.
Go to Top of Page

AlbertM
Crackpot



13016 Posts
joined 15 Jan 03

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  22:56:32  Show Profile  Visit AlbertM's Homepage Send AlbertM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Qld teams and fans might have a bit of trouble getting back into their State. Unless border restrictions are lifted by then.

Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver



674 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  23:13:33  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Until all the state borders are open, there will not be any Supercar racing.

Supercars isn't a sport.

Its a category of motor racing.
Go to Top of Page

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  23:14:33  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

Qld teams and fans might have a bit of trouble getting back into their State. Unless border restrictions are lifted by then.



as well as teams heading there from Melb... is it still 2 weeks lockdown in SA and Qld? if so I wonder which rout the trucks would take?

Go to Top of Page

Wrighty05
Last of the Big Bangers



Tonga
7424 Posts
joined 25 Aug 03

 offline



Posted - 01 May 2020 :  23:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see Wrighty05's MSN Messenger address Send Wrighty05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Winton would be one of the first picked in the current climate I reckon. Theyíll sort a deal out. Maybe not for the scheduled date, but there will be a round there if they do start again

RIP05

_Mholden

RIP LJ - loved and never forgotten.

"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

The Peter Brock trophy is now where it belongs.

Edited by - Wrighty05 on 01 May 2020 23:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  09:54:46  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
one of the things seemingy overlooked in all of this restart talk, especially the mid-week racing, is who the hell will be there to flag?

flaggies are a volunteer bunch. would you give up leave/work in this environment to go away and do this? a weekend may be doable but to expect people who are already in a tight spot to come and work for you for nothing costing them even more than it normally does may be pushing the friendship a bit much?

Go to Top of Page

Mechz
Formula Ford Driver



321 Posts
joined 16 Mar 09

 offline

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  13:42:40  Show Profile Send Mechz a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

one of the things seemingy overlooked in all of this restart talk, especially the mid-week racing, is who the hell will be there to flag?

flaggies are a volunteer bunch. would you give up leave/work in this environment to go away and do this? a weekend may be doable but to expect people who are already in a tight spot to come and work for you for nothing costing them even more than it normally does may be pushing the friendship a bit much?



You might get more interest as they will be some of the select few allowed into the venue.

666
Go to Top of Page

abhibeckert
Formula Ford Driver



Australia
436 Posts
joined 10 Jan 18

 offline

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  18:31:14  Show Profile  Visit abhibeckert's Homepage Send abhibeckert a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

quote:
Originally posted by AlbertM

Qld teams and fans might have a bit of trouble getting back into their State. Unless border restrictions are lifted by then.



as well as teams heading there from Melb... is it still 2 weeks lockdown in SA and Qld? if so I wonder which rout the trucks would take?


It is two weeks in QLD but there are exemptions available and the list of who exactly is exempt will likely include sport soon, if the NRL are to be believed.

As for which route, the A2 route out of Brisbane goes pretty much a straight line from Brisbane to the Stuart Highway and then itís another thousand clicks up the Stuart to Darwin.

As for flag marshals it is being talked about, from the sounds of it theyíre likely to start at tracks like Winton where you can see more of the track and need fewer marshals. Tracks like Bathurst with all the blind corners probably canít happen under current restrictions... theyíre relying on social distancing rules being relaxed before getting to those tracks.

Edited by - abhibeckert on 02 May 2020 18:39:53
Go to Top of Page

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  23:12:07  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
there is zero distancing at the tracks, even for small events... 2 on post with one on yellows and one on blues they are side by side for the duration

yeah I guess trucks going through would be the same as freight trucks which are already allowed

Winton could run without flaggies with all points run from upstairs... but SC will not pay to run there...

Go to Top of Page

abhibeckert
Formula Ford Driver



Australia
436 Posts
joined 10 Jan 18

 offline

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  07:48:11  Show Profile  Visit abhibeckert's Homepage Send abhibeckert a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

there is zero distancing at the tracks, even for small events... 2 on post with one on yellows and one on blues they are side by side for the duration

The only ones actually required are the fire marshals though.

Yellow flags arenít so important if there are no blind corners. Cars have that new light on the steering wheel that could potentially replace yellow flags if the government insists on reducing the number of people at the track.

Half the field ignores blue flags anyway so why bother? ... but seriously you could just have it at the start/finish line and also use radios. Same for slippery surface, black flags, etc etc.

Not that this is exactly how it will end up working, but itís the kind of stuff being considered depending on what the government decides is acceptable. Hopefully common sense prevails as marshals are more important for safety than social distancing... but itís likely there will be less marshals than normal and racing on tracks that already donít need many of them.

quote:
Winton could run without flaggies with all points run from upstairs... but SC will not pay to run there...


Winton sucks because itís a car club track that normally only has a few dozen spectators at an event. And theyíre all watching from in pit lane. There will be no spectators when Supercars rolls out so that wonít be an issue.

Itís also politically easier being not in anybodyís backyard. And most of the teams wonít have to cross any state borders.

From whatís been said by people who would know, Winton is one of the most in demand tracks in the country. I wouldnít be surprised if they have multiple rounds there.

Edited by - abhibeckert on 03 May 2020 07:50:16
Go to Top of Page

bludvl
Fujitsu Driver



674 Posts
joined 27 Mar 08

 offline

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  08:44:55  Show Profile Send bludvl a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Forget the ideas of running with no flaggies. They are needed, and will have to be used. Lights don't replace sets of eyes on the ground. The actual number of officials to run a race meeting won't change dramatically.

quote:
Originally posted by abhibeckert


Winton sucks because itís a car club track that normally only has a few dozen spectators at an event. And theyíre all watching from in pit lane.


How does that make it suck??

Supercars isn't a sport.

Its a category of motor racing.
Go to Top of Page

fordman
V8 Champion


1324 Posts
joined 11 Oct 10

 offline

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  09:57:23  Show Profile Send fordman a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
IF they get to run one good side maybe more track time, I doubt there will be any support classes???? we could see longer races???

I am just hoping crowds can be allowed SOON.
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager



10527 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

 offline

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  10:26:41  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by abhibeckert

flags arenít so important if there are no blind corners. Cars have that new light on the steering wheel that could potentially replace yellow flags if the government insists on reducing the number of people at the track.


If we live in a era where a safety car is called every time a car goes offline on the track, you cannot run a race meeting without flags based of the reasoning that they arenít important because there are no blind corners...

quote:
Originally posted by abhibeckert

Winton sucks because itís a car club track that normally only has a few dozen spectators at an event. And theyíre all watching from in pit lane. There will be no spectators when Supercars rolls out so that wonít be an


Winton sucks??

Most permanent circuits are run by car clubs. SMP/Eastern Creek, Barbagallo etc etc
Go to Top of Page

Sonic
Moderator



Australia
17442 Posts
joined 14 Nov 06

 offline

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  22:22:31  Show Profile Send Sonic a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by abhibeckert

quote:
Originally posted by Sonic

there is zero distancing at the tracks, even for small events... 2 on post with one on yellows and one on blues they are side by side for the duration

The only ones actually required are the fire marshals though.

Yellow flags arenít so important if there are no blind corners. Cars have that new light on the steering wheel that could potentially replace yellow flags if the government insists on reducing the number of people at the track.

Half the field ignores blue flags anyway so why bother? ... but seriously you could just have it at the start/finish line and also use radios. Same for slippery surface, black flags, etc etc.

Not that this is exactly how it will end up working, but itís the kind of stuff being considered depending on what the government decides is acceptable. Hopefully common sense prevails as marshals are more important for safety than social distancing... but itís likely there will be less marshals than normal and racing on tracks that already donít need many of them.

quote:
Winton could run without flaggies with all points run from upstairs... but SC will not pay to run there...


Winton sucks because itís a car club track that normally only has a few dozen spectators at an event. And theyíre all watching from in pit lane. There will be no spectators when Supercars rolls out so that wonít be an issue.

Itís also politically easier being not in anybodyís backyard. And most of the teams wonít have to cross any state borders.

From whatís been said by people who would know, Winton is one of the most in demand tracks in the country. I wouldnít be surprised if they have multiple rounds there.



when was the last time you went to Winton?

for sure there are a lot of meets where the crowds are small but the SC meet, Austin 7 and Fest of Speed (to name 3) are huge

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  











Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds.