V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 General Topics
 General chit-chat
 Recession-2019?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldtimer
Team Manager



4029 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

 offline

Posted - 20 Aug 2019 :  12:46:35  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is "inverted yield curve" similar to "negative profits"?
Go to Top of Page

Zac
Lumberjack



Australia
9778 Posts
joined 24 Dec 04

 offline

Posted - 20 Aug 2019 :  12:59:11  Show Profile Send Zac a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, it's not one of those oxymorons. Have a read of the link. I learned from it, and it helps make more sense of financial news.
Go to Top of Page

Legendary Gerry
Moderator



Australia
22229 Posts
joined 19 Feb 07

 offline

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  08:27:04  Show Profile Send Legendary Gerry a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I see the Governor of the Reserve Bank cites the Trump/China "war" as the most significant trigger for any recession.
Go to Top of Page

Marchi1
Sex Jesus



Afghanistan
3816 Posts
joined 07 Feb 08

 offline

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  09:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Marchi1's Homepage Send Marchi1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If a recession hits in the next year and a half, Trump is gone. His "backers" aren't going to sit idle while they lose money off the back of his person vendetta's against world leaders. If anything, him getting thrown out of the whitehouse will more than likely lead to a significant surge in share prices as some form of stability would return.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  06:44:56  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's looking very bleak! https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/economy-facing-toughest-time-since-tech-wreck-downturn-20190902-p52n3v.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2JlLAZPZ9I3AcEmVHcYxcv_0NkI_uUNkArKyADxU0lzn_dNskuuqQpIWs#Echobox=1567419213


That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.



Edited by - REM on 03 Sep 2019 06:45:50
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot



Australia
11159 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  14:40:41  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What aren't people buying other than cars?

Gotta admit, a recession would be a great time to buy a house, given that it would go back to its actual value and not it's inflated value.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  16:32:08  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Tax cuts are not having any affect on ebbing consumer confidence! Things are getting worse! Time for some stimulus backbone....but do they have any?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/precisely-what-you-d-expect-in-an-economic-downturn-retail-sales-tumble-despite-tax-cuts-20190903-p52nfk.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3dQoXJ2zrNtSXSsVI6I78GnuJ6sqExwCEn3HpA1cr3EDNSdG_fy0A-G-0#Echobox=1567479432

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.


Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17527 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  16:42:44  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
the sky is falling !

Ford 2018 champions
Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager



4029 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  17:31:58  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One thing that needs to understood with stockbrokers and associated entities.

They make money when stock prices are going up.

They make money when stock prices are going down.

They do not make much money when stock prices are steady and investors are sitting on their shares.

We are paying for the education of far too many economists in Australia and they have difficulty getting into Parliament as there are too many lawyers taking too many spots. Naturally, the excess economists turn to writing for the media and need something sensational to get printed and therefore paid.

Economists are often wrong, but never uncertain.

Having retired in 2001, and lived through several alleged recessions, I find that even after living expenses, holidays, cars, caravans and wine and extensive home renovations and extensions, we have as much money left over as we started with in 2001.

I don't fear any doomsayer alleged recession.
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  20:55:17  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

One thing that needs to understood with stockbrokers and associated entities.

They make money when stock prices are going up.

They make money when stock prices are going down.

They do not make much money when stock prices are steady and investors are sitting on their shares.

We are paying for the education of far too many economists in Australia and they have difficulty getting into Parliament as there are too many lawyers taking too many spots. Naturally, the excess economists turn to writing for the media and need something sensational to get printed and therefore paid.

Economists are often wrong, but never uncertain.

Having retired in 2001, and lived through several alleged recessions, I find that even after living expenses, holidays, cars, caravans and wine and extensive home renovations and extensions, we have as much money left over as we started with in 2001.

I don't fear any doomsayer alleged recession.

2001 you say! When was the last recession?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.


Go to Top of Page

oldtimer
Team Manager



4029 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

 offline

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  23:17:36  Show Profile Send oldtimer a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer

One thing that needs to understood with stockbrokers and associated entities.

They make money when stock prices are going up.

They make money when stock prices are going down.

They do not make much money when stock prices are steady and investors are sitting on their shares.

We are paying for the education of far too many economists in Australia and they have difficulty getting into Parliament as there are too many lawyers taking too many spots. Naturally, the excess economists turn to writing for the media and need something sensational to get printed and therefore paid.

Economists are often wrong, but never uncertain.

Having retired in 2001, and lived through several alleged recessions, I find that even after living expenses, holidays, cars, caravans and wine and extensive home renovations and extensions, we have as much money left over as we started with in 2001.

I don't fear any doomsayer alleged recession.

2001 you say! When was the last recession?



You might note that I wrote "alleged recession".

In that time there have been several recessions that the "experts" claimed were about to happen, including 2013 and 2001, and almost every other year that the Coalition has been in office, according to the ALP spokesperson.

Economists cannot agree on a definition of recession as they change the definition to suit their own prognostications.

It could, for example be just 0.01% negative for two quarters but preceded by a rising quarter and followed by a rising quarter. Technically there is a Recession, but no harm done.

You can check the quarterly GDP figures if you wish.

quote:
One standard definition of recession is a decline in the real GDP (Gross Domestic Product) for two or more consecutive quarters.

Economists tend to prefer a definition that takes into account other economic indicators like unemployment and consumer confidence.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/q-a-what-is-a-recession
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  06:58:38  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well I'm pretty sure that when they say GDP is now the worst since the recession, they are talking 1991.... The good thing is, the 'great economic managers' are still in power...to reap what they have sown! Shame we all have to as well....who knew that cutting wages and job security would lead to less spending? ....oh please!!!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-braces-for-poor-gdp-result-as-shoppers-keep-wallets-shut-20190903-p52nj2.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Nvd90aN7mFjHTkRzsXrjI4P4u8W9H9nh4xQ2PAWhTZ-BZVw8a3po0lqg#Echobox=1567542264

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.



Edited by - REM on 04 Sep 2019 07:02:46
Go to Top of Page

Trickyonne
Sex God



Vatican City
17527 Posts
joined 13 Apr 03

 offline

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  07:40:55  Show Profile Send Trickyonne a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by REM

Well I'm pretty sure that when they say GDP is now the worst since the recession, they are talking 1991.... The good thing is, the 'great economic managers' are still in power...to reap what they have sown! Shame we all have to as well....who knew that cutting wages and job security would lead to less spending? ....oh please!!!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-braces-for-poor-gdp-result-as-shoppers-keep-wallets-shut-20190903-p52nj2.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Nvd90aN7mFjHTkRzsXrjI4P4u8W9H9nh4xQ2PAWhTZ-BZVw8a3po0lqg#Echobox=1567542264



I thought it was trumps fault ????

Gerry Harvey says we are not in recession ...a guy worth 1.6 billion would have an idea
https://youtu.be/SByx5SkeL8A

Ford 2018 champions

Edited by - Trickyonne on 06 Sep 2019 13:28:03
Go to Top of Page

REM
Team Manager



Australia
14224 Posts
joined 27 Sep 03

 offline

Posted - 06 Sep 2019 :  18:53:10  Show Profile Send REM a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Trickyonne

quote:
Originally posted by REM

Well I'm pretty sure that when they say GDP is now the worst since the recession, they are talking 1991.... The good thing is, the 'great economic managers' are still in power...to reap what they have sown! Shame we all have to as well....who knew that cutting wages and job security would lead to less spending? ....oh please!!!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-braces-for-poor-gdp-result-as-shoppers-keep-wallets-shut-20190903-p52nj2.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Nvd90aN7mFjHTkRzsXrjI4P4u8W9H9nh4xQ2PAWhTZ-BZVw8a3po0lqg#Echobox=1567542264



I thought it was trumps fault ????

Gerry Harvey says we are not in recession ...a guy worth 1.6 billion would have an idea
https://youtu.be/SByx5SkeL8A



Gerry Harvey versus the Governor of the Reserve bank.....tough choice! https://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/what-s-going-wrong-with-australia-rba-chief-philip-lowe-fears-the-economy-s-time-is-up-20190903-p52nbu.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0iSPLvCN7wX-Q330t-gLUk1ScjA9T3_RX4Evh7rinpTasD-ckyJsfiS3s#Echobox=1567734699

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid!
"Remember that in the end nobody wins, unless everybody wins!" Springsteen BTR.


Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  









Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2018 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.52 seconds.