No banner in farm
V8Central Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Links | Private Messages
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 International Series
 General
 WEC/IMSA 2016
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

deej
Formula Ford Driver



Australia
393 Posts
joined 27 Dec 08

 offline

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  14:15:13  Show Profile Send deej a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for that info CP, now I understand it better.
Go to Top of Page

CP
Safety Car Pilot



Australia
11295 Posts
joined 22 Jan 09

 offline

Posted - 26 Oct 2016 :  21:16:33  Show Profile  Visit CP's Homepage Send CP a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Laser Lights out for Audi:

Audi will pull out of the World Endurance Championship and end its 18-year involvement in the Le Mans 24 Hours at the conclusion of 2016.

The axing of the LMP1 programme, which yielded 13 Le Mans victories and the WEC drivers' and manufacturers' titles in 2012-13, follows what has been described as a realignment of Audi's motorsport programme.

The German manufacturer will focus on its participation in the Formula E Championship with the Abt-Schaeffler squad, having announced a greater works involvement in the electric single-seater series at the beginning of last month.

Audi chairman Rupert Stadler said: "We're going to contest the race for the future on electric power.

"As our production cars are becoming increasingly electric, our motorsport cars, as Audi's technological spearheads, have to even more so."

Audi's all-electric production vehicles will go on sale at the start of the 2018 model year.

The official announcement of the news from Audi uses the word "instead" when talking about the end of the WEC campaign and the new focus on FE.

Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullrich had previously stated that FE was an "additional programme" and would have no bearing on the decision making process regarding a continuation in LMP1.

Audi's statement hinted at a drive to reduce the company's motorsport budget by saying the decision needed to be understood "in the context of the current burdens of the brand", which is a reference to the financial liabilities that are likely to follow last year's 'dieselgate' emissions row.

It also said that some of the technical resources within Audi Sport would be diverted into the development of production vehicles.

The decision comes against the backdrop of declining sales of turbodiesels, the technology Audi showcases in the WEC, and political pressure in some markets to outlaw diesels.

A requirement of the participation of two brands from the Volkswagen Group, Audi and Porsche, in the WEC is that they used different technologies.

Audi has lent its name to the Abt team's Formula E programme since the beginning of the series in 2014/15 and is stepping up its involvement for the 2016/17 season in what is envisaged will become a full factory engagement.

Audi's participation in the DTM is unaffected by the decision, and it is considering expanding its involvement in World Rallycross, where it currently offers technical support to 2016 champion Mattias Ekstrom's privateer team.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126832
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager



Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

 offline

Posted - 28 Oct 2016 :  21:38:59  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Huge shame for Audi to pull out. My money is that Andre Lotterer will move across to Porsche.



























































































_Mford














"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page

Fast by Ferracci
Team Manager



10442 Posts
joined 23 Sep 04

 offline

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  13:04:08  Show Profile Send Fast by Ferracci a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What chance the return of a "Joest Porsche" as the third 919 at Le Mans?

Shame Audi has gone, though hard to be critical after 18 years of involvement, almost all of them with a full on factory program.

To think we'll go from 11 factory LMP1 cars, and 14 in total, at Le Mans in 2015 to just 4 or 5 factory cars, and at most 6 in total, in 2017 is pretty worrying.....
Go to Top of Page

DJRford
Team Manager



Australia
10697 Posts
joined 19 Jun 11

 offline

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  21:11:18  Show Profile Send DJRford a Private Message  Reply with Quote Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Definitely, though it makes me sad to think that Webber has pulled the pin now. He would've had easily the best chance ever to win it with only two Toyota's and maybe only one other Porsche to worry about. Actually I'm gonna call it now. Bernhard, Hartley and whoever replaces Mark (my money's on Lotterer) to win Le Mans 2017.



























































































_Mford














"This whole thing is just a media beat up and you V8 Supercar fans( another name for suckers, bogans, lowlifes etc ) have taken the bait hook line and sinker." - Champcarman
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  




Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Share
Jump To:
V8Central Forums © 2001 - 2020 V8Central Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.