News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Whincup's Swansong?

Started by skaifeman, August 20, 2021, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Have we seen J-Dub's final race weekend?
There's been enough events in enough States to hand SVG the trophy now and call it a day.

With 2021 seemingly down a certain creek without a paddle, what does he do if the season ends early? It's not the way he (or any of us) would've hoped.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

fordman

murph_fan51

I would have hoped for a Skaife 08 - Oran Park type celebration lap after the last race.
He would be happy that his last race weekend ended with a podium result though.
debris debris debris

Troy01505

Nah, he will win Bathurst this year with CL and that'll be it. Feeny will complete any races after that if they run

jd

I must confess even as a Fordie it has been very sad to see the GOAT not get any farewell acknowledgements at 2021 races that he deserved unlike what a few others received, not to mention any names.

JW's record is without doubt the best ever and his abilities truly outstanding.

Very poor form by Supercars.   

skaifeman

Quote from: jd on August 20, 2021, 09:07:35 PM
I must confess even as a Fordie it has been very sad to see the GOAT not get any farewell acknowledgements at 2021 races that he deserved unlike what a few others received, not to mention any names.

JW's record is without doubt the best ever and his abilities truly outstanding.

Very poor form by Supercars.

To be fair, there was still just under half a season remaining. I'm sure they had something in the pipeline, the very least at the GC.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

mikeamerica84

If the season IS over, he can always come back and run the opening round next year then sign off.  That would add to the climatic start, anyways.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

jd

Quote from: skaifeman on August 20, 2021, 10:39:52 PM
To be fair, there was still just under half a season remaining. I'm sure they had something in the pipeline, the very least at the GC.
That might be so but when a couple of other Holden heavyweights retired at every race that year they were given a fans parade etc etc.

OK Covid doesn't help but, eg there was nothing done at Darwin that I can recall.

Yet he is the undisputed GOAT and is getting no major attention in his retirement year.

Poor form.

AlbertM

Whincup is vanilla. For all his success on the scoreboard he doesn't have the following of other great drivers. He's done nothing "heroic". He has had no great challenger outside his own team. Unlike Brock, Johnson, Lowndes, Ambrose, Murphy, Skaife. Whincup didn't have a long running rivalry nor had a dip in performance to make a come back to root for. Whincup is professional, clinical, unconfrontational. Therefore forgettable.

It is underserved. Whincup should have got a grand send off from every event this year.
Ford Faithful

LG

You are assuming he wanted a send off...

AlbertM

Ford Faithful