News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Lowndes

Started by stevo qld, September 03, 2021, 07:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

Craig Lowndes had a crack at  open wheelers in Europe, but is a poorly backed car.

He is running an Historic F1 car soon and it's not the first.

I would love to see Craig get a ride in S5000, backed by Ampol and Redbull and 888. plus of course a Bathurst Wildcard and maybe a few other events.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Trevor

Roadways6

Poorly backed car? It was the reigning champion team, and he had a full budget courtesy of TWR and Holden.

Be great to see him have a go in S5000 though

Trevor

Quote from: Roadways6 on September 13, 2021, 12:37:02 PM
Poorly backed car? It was the reigning champion team, and he had a full budget courtesy of TWR and Holden.

Be great to see him have a go in S5000 though
I think he is referring to Lowndes failed attempt on European F3

stevo qld

I tried to find a reference but it was a long time ago. From memory it was an el-cheapo deal by Tom Walkinshaw, but here is a later version by Craig.

If he does S5000, we can be sere it will be suitably funded.

QuoteCraig Lowndes has unleashed a rare tirade on his former nemesis Juan Pablo Montoya in a recently published book celebrating 10 years of Triple Eight Race Engineering.

In a section devoted to the Brisbane squad's longest serving driver, Lowndes reflected on his stint as team-mate to Montoya in Dr Helmet Marko's Formula 3000 team in 1997.

A year after winning the first of his five Bathurst 1000 titles and three Australian Touring Car Championships, Lowndes embarked on a path he hoped would see him earn a Formula 1 seat in Europe.

The drive was set-up by Holden Racing Team owner Tom Walkinshaw, who at that point owned the Arrows F1 team and had Lowndes on a 10-year contract, and backed by Holden, HSV and Mobil.

It soon become evident during the season that Lowndes, who had moved into a small flat owned by the now Red Bull talent scout Marko, was not happy in a foreign environment with the confronting Montoya.

The Colombian had risen rapidly through British Formula Vauxhall and Formula 3 in the two preceding years, where he gained a reputation for being supremely quick but difficult to deal with.

"Montoya would be the only driver that ever got to me mentally," Lowndes revealed in the book, written by Paul Gover.

"I don't think he (Montoya) worked a day in his life.

"His parents were lovely people, but they funded him all the way through.

"I was in a foreign country, a foreign team, and I didn't have the support around me that I had in Australia.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2014/07/31/lowndes-montoya-arrogance-prepared-skaife/

Although it may have been a trying experience, it would better prepare him for a drive in S5000.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Roadways6

Quote from: stevo qld on September 13, 2021, 01:34:22 PM
I tried to find a reference but it was a long time ago. From memory it was an el-cheapo deal by Tom Walkinshaw, but here is a later version by Craig.

If he does S5000, we can be sere it will be suitably funded.

QuoteCraig Lowndes has unleashed a rare tirade on his former nemesis Juan Pablo Montoya in a recently published book celebrating 10 years of Triple Eight Race Engineering.

In a section devoted to the Brisbane squad's longest serving driver, Lowndes reflected on his stint as team-mate to Montoya in Dr Helmet Marko's Formula 3000 team in 1997.

A year after winning the first of his five Bathurst 1000 titles and three Australian Touring Car Championships, Lowndes embarked on a path he hoped would see him earn a Formula 1 seat in Europe.

The drive was set-up by Holden Racing Team owner Tom Walkinshaw, who at that point owned the Arrows F1 team and had Lowndes on a 10-year contract, and backed by Holden, HSV and Mobil.

It soon become evident during the season that Lowndes, who had moved into a small flat owned by the now Red Bull talent scout Marko, was not happy in a foreign environment with the confronting Montoya.

The Colombian had risen rapidly through British Formula Vauxhall and Formula 3 in the two preceding years, where he gained a reputation for being supremely quick but difficult to deal with.

"Montoya would be the only driver that ever got to me mentally," Lowndes revealed in the book, written by Paul Gover.

"I don't think he (Montoya) worked a day in his life.

"His parents were lovely people, but they funded him all the way through.

"I was in a foreign country, a foreign team, and I didn't have the support around me that I had in Australia.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2014/07/31/lowndes-montoya-arrogance-prepared-skaife/

Although it may have been a trying experience, it would better prepare him for a drive in S5000.

I'm not sure how a drive in the best team in the field at the time can be classed as el-cheapo? He had a full budget through TWR and Holden.

Lowndes got caned by Montoya, purely and simply.