News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

F1 2022 season

Started by stevo qld, September 03, 2021, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Kytabu on May 23, 2022, 12:21:28 PM

I see a lot of people complaining about Red Bull team orders and Perez being robbed of a win but even if they were allowed to race Verstappen still would have won. He was closing at a second a lap and pulled over ten seconds after the pass. I don't think Perez would have held him off for fifteen laps.

I think the issue a lot of people, and Perez have with the situation, is that he was told one thing, and then they decided to do something completely different. He may have driven his race differently if he knew what the decision would be from the start.

I would have preferred they give him a chance at least.

skaifeman

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on May 23, 2022, 12:36:45 PM
Quote from: Kytabu on May 23, 2022, 12:21:28 PM

I see a lot of people complaining about Red Bull team orders and Perez being robbed of a win but even if they were allowed to race Verstappen still would have won. He was closing at a second a lap and pulled over ten seconds after the pass. I don't think Perez would have held him off for fifteen laps.

I think the issue a lot of people, and Perez have with the situation, is that he was told one thing, and then they decided to do something completely different. He may have driven his race differently if he knew what the decision would be from the start.

I would have preferred they give him a chance at least.

Agreed. Even after Max put it in the kitty, Perez allowed the pass far too easily, and from there Max got the preferred strategy.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Alan59

If Max and Sergio were in different teams Max would have won.He had much younger tyres and caught up to Sergio at multiple seconds a lap.The only way Sergio could have won was if Max got team orders to stay behind and obeyed.
What they did 20-40 laps before was irrelevant because at that stage they were racing George and not each other.Tyre life and car speed are a very delicate balance in F1.

madbugger

Bit of chatter about the upgrades to McLaren and how they are happy with them. I'm thinking about the only upgrade that will help the second car would be to replace the nut behind the steering wheel.

Not sure what is going on with DR, but he is struggling big time. You don't usually lose talent overnight, but he really is having trouble coming to grips with this car.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but one wonders if picking up the scraps behind Max at Red Bull, with the chance for a win when he stumbled, would have been better than his last few years at Renault and McLaren. It's hard to see him adding to his wins tally the way he is going at the moment. And having Pato in the wings itching for a shot at F1, the pressure to perform is getting greater as each race failure passes.

My guess, DR won't be at McLaren next year, he may pick up a seat at one of the lesser teams, but just as possible he won't be on the grid at all.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: madbugger on May 25, 2022, 07:38:14 AM
Bit of chatter about the upgrades to McLaren and how they are happy with them. I'm thinking about the only upgrade that will help the second car would be to replace the nut behind the steering wheel.

Not sure what is going on with DR, but he is struggling big time. You don't usually lose talent overnight, but he really is having trouble coming to grips with this car.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but one wonders if picking up the scraps behind Max at Red Bull, with the chance for a win when he stumbled, would have been better than his last few years at Renault and McLaren. It's hard to see him adding to his wins tally the way he is going at the moment. And having Pato in the wings itching for a shot at F1, the pressure to perform is getting greater as each race failure passes.

My guess, DR won't be at McLaren next year, he may pick up a seat at one of the lesser teams, but just as possible he won't be on the grid at all.

Pato isn't the threat to his seat, it's Colton Herta that will take the spot I reckon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan hang up the helmet, especially after the last couple of years. I'd love for him to continue on, but where else are there seats opening up?

Alan59

Regarding the Ricciardo situation a few weeks ago I was watching the Monaco episode of season 1 of Drive To Survive.In it Ricciardo was beaming positivity even before the race.Convinced he was as good as any driver on the grid.Of course he won.
In the second half of that year Verstappen monstered him and probably crushed that confidence.2 years at Renault with less than top level team mates and not really dicing with the top guys and then he goes to McLaren where Norris monsters him.
Any interview with Ricciardo in the past year seems to be with someone full of self doubt.You can't be like that in F1.
He has had 12 years in F1 which is a long career and is at an age where everyone except the very very few start to go downhill fairly rapidly.It is time to pull the pin.
He had a great career and from 2014 to 2017 was one of the best 3 drivers in F1.2017 was a long time ago and it isn't coming back.

V8SuperRiley

The positive sign as an Aussie, is we have probably the most exciting up and coming driver in Oscar Piastri sitting there.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on May 25, 2022, 08:24:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan hang up the helmet, especially after the last couple of years. I'd love for him to continue on, but where else are there seats opening up?
With our TV coverage here, I think it was Martin Brundle hinting heavily that Latifi might not make it the whole year at Williams.  That would not be a seat for Danny Ric, but the dominoes might start toppling before season's end.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Alan59

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on May 26, 2022, 09:35:56 PM
Quote from: V8SuperRiley on May 25, 2022, 08:24:52 AM
With our TV coverage here, I think it was Martin Brundle hinting heavily that Latifi might not make it the whole year at Williams.  That would not be a seat for Danny Ric, but the dominoes might start toppling before season's end.
If Williams replace Latifi it will be for someone on the way up not for someone on the way down.

V8SuperRiley

Another weekend to forget for Dan...

It wasn't all his fault, but still forgettable.

Kytabu

Awesome weekend from Perez, I would say his best at Red Bull so far. He had Verstappen covered all weekend and was there to take the win when Ferrari faltered on strategy.

Sainz was a bit unlucky getting held up by a lapped car on his out-lap. He looked like he got some rhythm back this weekend, though, hopefully his first win is coming up soon.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Sainz interview made it all make sense.
I was massively confused when Perez came out in front, the commentators missed the reason.

Ferrari need to up their strategy though, constantly outplayed, going back a few years now too.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

V8SuperRiley

Another good showing by Red Bull, and the wheels fell off for Ferrari, again..

Dan looked a lot more comfortable. I can't help but feel that he may have been a little higher if he was released from behind Lando in the first stint.

Sonic

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on June 13, 2022, 08:43:57 AM
Another good showing by Red Bull, and the wheels fell off for Ferrari, again..

Dan looked a lot more comfortable. I can't help but feel that he may have been a little higher if he was released from behind Lando in the first stint.

Agreed. Why the team didn't tell Norris to let him by with him being on a different strategy is craziness.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

I feel for Tsunoda and Zhou, they were both having good races before their respective issues. It was a strong weekend for Vettel; if he had successfully cleared Ocon the first time I wonder if he could have stayed ahead of Lewis.

After the first few races it looked like the Red Bull was the fast fragile car but hasn't that turned around! In the last four races there have been eight mechanical DNFs for Ferrari-powered cars, three of those being the Scuderia itself.

Russell has beaten Hamilton in seven consecutive races now. The only other time a team-mate has done that to Lewis was when Rosberg won seven races in a row across 2015 and 2016. I really hope Mercedes can sort out the porpoising issue; it was painful just watching Hamilton get out of the car after the race.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"