News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

A Return to Canberra?

Started by skaifeman, September 06, 2021, 01:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Carsguide has broken a bit of click-bait, suggesting talks are underway for an event in Canberra come 2023.
If anyone is familiar with Summernats, this uses the same complex, with the addition of some surrounding roads:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/06/canberra-concept-proposed-to-supercars/

They'd have to widen pretty well every piece of tarmac it uses. And there's now a tram line running down Flemington Rd.
Likelihood of it happening, minimal.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

SetonFan

This is the original Carsguide link with the proposed layout; https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/canberra-set-to-host-supercars-finale-from-2023-v8-supercars-to-return-to-act-for-first

I also had a look at parts of the proposed layout on Google Streetview and it would need quite a lot of work as you said Skaifeman - not to mention the light rail. It might be possible to run side by side with the light rail (a la Gold Coast) but it would be tight.

Considering the carbon-neutral angle and the fact that Speedcafe suggests other categories may use it the week before/after, I wonder if they could be targeting Formula E?

skaifeman

Ah, that's the link I thought I copied, grabbed the wrong one.

I'd say the whole proposed circuit would need to be widened, even the actual roads. Everything within the Exhibition Park complex is no wider than two lanes.
It could definitely work, but it would need a fair bit of investment.

Summernats has a hard enough time coming back each year, with complaining residents, and from memory that's the biggest earning event in Canberra.
Don't reckon the Govt. will fork out money to bring something in that people will still complain about, even if it was carbon neutral.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

SetonFan

Yes considering the bad experience they had 20 years ago it would be hard to convince the ACT Govt

Sonic

why?

if you put out all that cash to get a street circuit up and running why would you put it in a place that is nowhere?

Canberra is already overpriced and miles from anywhere, just one more mistake in a mistake riddled show
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Kytabu

Just enter each driver in all of the Summernats events! Then award championship points based on scores across all events.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

murph_fan51

Would it be possible to have the same track layout?
It was a great event to watch on TV. One of my favourite street tracks, again viewing on TV.
debris debris debris

skaifeman

Quote from: murph_fan51 on September 07, 2021, 12:33:56 PM
It was a great event to watch on TV. One of my favourite street tracks, again viewing on TV.

No reason the previous street circuit wouldn't work - road wise.

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on September 07, 2021, 02:35:06 PM

unless there have been changes made in the almost 20 years since

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on September 07, 2021, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on September 07, 2021, 02:35:06 PM

unless there have been changes made in the almost 20 years since

Road wise, no.

SetonFan

It may not be possible for much longer on the old circuit as a future stage of the light rail is going to use part of the layout.

While the old layout was pretty fun being so close to the landmarks I think they're better off going for something new - particularly if they can setup a Townsville type layout where a lot of the layout is permanent throughout the whole year. As such I'd imagine that it would be much cheaper as well with the infrastructure in place and less disruption etc.

Sonic

Quote from: SetonFan on September 08, 2021, 05:39:29 PM
It may not be possible for much longer on the old circuit as a future stage of the light rail is going to use part of the layout.

While the old layout was pretty fun being so close to the landmarks I think they're better off going for something new - particularly if they can setup a Townsville type layout where a lot of the layout is permanent throughout the whole year. As such I'd imagine that it would be much cheaper as well with the infrastructure in place and less disruption etc.

or.... and just for something completely wild and out there... how about they build a proper circuit that can be used for driver training etc all year round and make money for the state/territory when it's not being used for racing (coz obviously it will be a loss when the circus is in town)

skaifeman

Quote from: SetonFan on September 08, 2021, 05:39:29 PM

You're right. I thought they were going to run it across Capital Cir, not State Cir - good pickup 8).
So currently, we'd be good to go. In 2 or so years, nope.

My sentiment does sit with Sonic though. A mass development would be better. Unfortunately I don't see it happening in the borders of the ACT.
And even Wakefield has been muzzled recently.