News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Nuclear Powered Subs for Australia

Started by coyote302, September 16, 2021, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote302

I live to trigger woke snowflakes

AlbertM

Ford Faithful

stp01

It will be interesting to see what this really means. I have thought for years that we should be buying US submarines - they're proven and The US have been a long term ally. But there's little detail here as to what subs we're actually getting/building.

The French option just reeks of a another Collins class disaster.

Triple Eight and Holden
2022 Supercars Drivers Champion
2022 Supercars Teams Champion
2022 Supercars Manufacturers Champion
2022 Super2 Drivers Champion

Troy01505

Quote from: AlbertM on September 16, 2021, 10:43:23 AM
Why do we need these Subs at all?

Probably come in handy when China come to take the last small percentage of land and industry they don't have in their possession yet.

Oh wait, the government will give them to that!

AlbertM

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 16, 2021, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on September 16, 2021, 10:43:23 AM
Why do we need these Subs at all?

Probably come in handy when China come to take the last small percentage of land and industry they don't have in their possession yet.

Oh wait, the government will give them to that!

Exactly. China is a major trading partner. They don't have to invade to get what they want.

BTW I was on for a argument until I read your last line.  8)
Ford Faithful

madbugger

Just waiting now for the announcement that the Port of Darwin lease has been torn up. Can't see that being allowed to continue once the subs are here
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

CP

What happens to all the billions we paid the French to re engineer them to run on truck fuel?

AlbertM

Ford Faithful

madbugger

Quote from: AlbertM on September 17, 2021, 10:17:34 AM
$2.8Billion down the drain.

Better than spending $80-90 Billion over the next 15 yrs and then finding out it is a lemon (which by most indicators it will be).

If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

AlbertM

Ford Faithful

mikeamerica84

A boon for Adelaide.  A boon for your country.  This could maybe lead to nuclear electrical generating plants, but that will take more citizen buy-in. 

Carbon free, gents.  It is the profession I have been in since 1978.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

AlbertM

Aussie are nuclear-phobic when it comes to having it anywhere habitable. Still too many "simple folk" that can't get their head around the science.
Ford Faithful

mikeamerica84

Quote from: AlbertM on September 19, 2021, 12:57:44 PM
Aussie are nuclear-phobic when it comes to having it anywhere habitable. Still too many "simple folk" that can't get their head around the science.
Oh I know of that whole deal, Albert.

What will be interesting, though, is the Aussie sailors will have to be trained in nuclear propulsion.  I wonder if they are just going to ship them over here and train them in the States where we already have the schools and the land-based prototype propulsion units.  Or even send them the Great Britain? 

When I was in the Navy we had prototype units in three different parts of the country.  They were mockups of actual ship/boat nuclear plants.  Then they scrapped that idea in the late '90s and moved everything to Charleston, SC.  Took a couple of old fleet ballistic missile subs, tied them up to the pier, and actually just used THEM for the hands on training.  Instead of having a screw (propeller) they just used a water brake rig.

It will be interesting to see how and where they train these squids.  I'm excited for them all.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

coyote302

Quote from: AlbertM on September 19, 2021, 12:57:44 PM

The Greens are the worst for being nuclear-phobic, they should be the ones pushing for it.
I live to trigger woke snowflakes

AlbertM

There is talk of leasing US subs until ours are built. So I would imagine Aussie crews would be trained on the job.
Ford Faithful