News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Nuclear Powered Subs for Australia

Started by coyote302, September 16, 2021, 09:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

USA or UK!

The UK New Subs are cheaper new than the USA version.

The UK is also in the process of upgrading it's fleet, and the replaced one's seem pretty good.

Whoever we buy from, they will certainly be happy to provide a sub or subs and use our base or bases and provide training.

It will probably be cheaper than keeping the Collins design going.

If it is USA, I hope they allow the Sub contract to cancel out some of the orders for the dud new fighter.

PS: One current Australian Senator has worked as crew on a USA Nuclear Sub.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

PVDA

Quote from: AlbertM on September 20, 2021, 02:31:01 PM
There is talk of leasing US subs until ours are built. So I would imagine Aussie crews would be trained on the job.

I would assume like the RAAF has exchange programs with the USAF the RAN will send submariners over to play with the USN.

murph_fan51

It must have been a topic in the old V8 Central forum about nuclear power?
Anyway Mike, does this look familiar to you. I'm sure you've mentioned it in the past?

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81241561?trackId=15035895
debris debris debris

mikeamerica84

Quote from: murph_fan51 on May 08, 2022, 12:14:21 PM
It must have been a topic in the old V8 Central forum about nuclear power?
Anyway Mike, does this look familiar to you. I'm sure you've mentioned it in the past?

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81241561?trackId=15035895
I remember TMI very well, murph.  I was 19 years old and at Navy Nuclear Power School in March of 1979 when they had their accident, wondering what profession I got myself into.  This accident revolutionized the training for commercial nuclear power plant operators.  I have yet to watch the Netflix series, but have worked with a few that were at TMI on that day, including the control room supervisor when it happened.

Ironically, the movie "The China Syndrome" came out just before said accident.  All anyone not in the profession knew about nuclear power then was from that movie.  It was a HUGE blockbuster.

Timing is everything.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Bloopy

Not sure if I'd even heard of The China Syndrome but must see that sometime. Growing up in the 90s with only free-to-air TV was no way to live. The selection of movies they played was far too narrow.

I like the film God's Puzzle which is about a particle accelerator and came out at about the same as all the headlines suggesting the Large Hadron Collider might destroy Earth. Based on its impeccable timing, perhaps it should've been a blockbuster, but it wasn't!