News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

More NGK

Started by stevo qld, October 22, 2021, 07:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo qld

I don't want to get off topic on the NGK thread even though it is in Nostalgia,

Some years ago, advertising was banned from the strip across the top of the windscreen, but, the drivers name was allowed.

Captain Peter Janson turned up with the NGK lettering followed by Janson.

He actually changed his name by Deed Poll to "NGK Janson" to promote his sponsor.

I seem to remember CAMS being less than happy.

:) :)

https://autopics.com.au/77139-peter-ngk-janson-torana-l34-sandown-11th-november-1977-photographer-keith-midgley/#gallery
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

;D ;D ;D That is fantastic.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

One of my favourite stories of that era ;D.
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

Zac

There was also 'Charlie' from the same era. Anyone here remember Robyn Hamilton? She raced Formula Fords and had sponsorship from Revlon cosmetics. When they brought out a perfume called 'Charlie' she changed her name to Charlie for the same reasons as the Captain. I saw her race a few times, and she was always in the thick of it. I don't recall her winning, but she had a few podiums and gave as good as she got. I think she had a few run-ins with officials, probably because she dented male egos who weren't expecting a female to be so ungentlemanly. I remember her pink Elfin 620 with 'Charlie' as the driver's name, but with a quick Google I couldn't find any links to her in it. I did find this though. One of her first races on 'P's giving John Harvey a hard time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZbpwGbjLc
Pushing her luck to get her CAMS signature after that one.

PVDA

Quote from: Zac on October 23, 2021, 09:10:13 AM
Anyone here remember Robyn Hamilton?

Sure do, she was a pretty good driver as well in a era when female racers were few and far between sadly.