News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Super-duper cars SMP (spoliers)

Started by REM, October 29, 2021, 02:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Zac

The least they could do for those hardy types who sat at SMP waiting for a non-event.

I've seen all kinds of comments about the decision to can the race, but my take on it is that it was the right decision. We could argue at length about whether they could have raced - and yes, they could have, but the correct decision was made. We're a week out from Bathurst, the risk of car damage was extremely high (as previous races showed), and any teams who lost a car, should the almost inevitable happened would have struggled bigtime to get their stuff together for Bathurst, the premier event in the Supercar season. They wouldn't have had time to return to their base and prepare a 100% raceworthy car and regardless of who you support, that wouldn't have been a good way to head into Bathurst. So, we sacrifice one of the many races at SMP to give all teams the chance to regather for Bathurst. We won't all agree, but for mine, it was the right decision.

Roadways6

Quote from: Zac on November 23, 2021, 05:47:18 PM
The least they could do for those hardy types who sat at SMP waiting for a non-event.

I've seen all kinds of comments about the decision to can the race, but my take on it is that it was the right decision. We could argue at length about whether they could have raced - and yes, they could have, but the correct decision was made. We're a week out from Bathurst, the risk of car damage was extremely high (as previous races showed), and any teams who lost a car, should the almost inevitable happened would have struggled bigtime to get their stuff together for Bathurst, the premier event in the Supercar season. They wouldn't have had time to return to their base and prepare a 100% raceworthy car and regardless of who you support, that wouldn't have been a good way to head into Bathurst. So, we sacrifice one of the many races at SMP to give all teams the chance to regather for Bathurst. We won't all agree, but for mine, it was the right decision.

What kind of a look is it for the championship though? So publically canning a points paying event, on live Sunday FTA TV, for a race that happens in two weeks time?

If they are worried about turnaround times, why even schedule a race for that date? There was every chance cars could have been heavily damaged in the dry too.

Has it been noted why Foxtel dropped off the coverage so fast after the red flag? A short interrupted interview with the newly crowned champion, and they're off with no celebration at all

Zac

1) Not a good look for the championship, but we are talking about 2021, when many championships and series across many sports had been cut and chopped and modified to fit within COVID restrictions. IMO, the series did well to jam so many races into such a curtailed season.
2) Canning a points-paying event for one that is happening in two weeks time?  We are talking about one race of ten races jammed into just over three weeks at the same race track, compared to the Bathurst 1000, the one-off, biggest event in the Supercars calendar and one of Australia's iconic sporting events. (It's also a 9 day turnaround. Closer to one week than two.)
3) Yes, every chance that cars could have been heavily damaged in the dry - but I'd say that looking at what had happened in previous races, both on that day and on previous days in the rain at that track, the chances were many, many times higher on that track as it was on Sunday evening. If it was fine and the track was dry, we wouldn't be discussing this. SMP and the apparent problem with surface water is a subject for another time. Also, as I've already said, these teams are still on the road, with some of them (including the two top teams) without enough time to return to their workshops before Bathurst, and re the championship, that race wouldn't have changed much at all. I feel sorry for the teams looking to gain a position or two, and for the paying spectators who sat and waited for nothing.
4) I have no opinion on Foxtel "dropping off" so fast after the red flag. Probably not much else to show. We'd already had an hour or so of talking heads with everyman and his dog speculating. SVG will still have plenty of coverage and celebrations, I'm sure. 

stevo qld

Due to Covid, the series was in bad shape.

All credit to Supercars and the ARDC for putting on three and a half rounds and a few practice days, including co-drivers..

The teams at least go to Bathurst with some racing and tuning under their belt.

i.e. Macauley lunched his new Bathurst Engine at Sydney and not a few laps into the Bathurst race, so that problem and a lot of others are ironed out.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

Quote from: stevo qld on November 22, 2021, 10:55:01 PM
maybe Supercars need proper rain tyres.

here is the official reason why they tink not.

QuoteCost and practicality are the driving factors behind Supercars using an "aggressive intermediate" rather than a full wet weather control tyre.

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-no-full-wet-tyre/6808124/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Quote from: stevo qld on November 24, 2021, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on November 22, 2021, 10:55:01 PM
maybe Supercars need proper rain tyres.

here is the official reason why they tink not.

QuoteCost and practicality are the driving factors behind Supercars using an "aggressive intermediate" rather than a full wet weather control tyre.

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/supercars-no-full-wet-tyre/6808124/

Piss poor excuse. It is "Australia's number 1" category with the best drivers in the country!

There are not many motorsport series in the world that have a vehicle build and maintenance cost as high as Supercars, perhaps if they simplified the cars and limited costs for teams searching for the .001 of a second lap time they could invest in proper tyres.

The decision to can the race is just another embarrassing move by Supercars management. As many other fans and professional drivers have stated around the country, we have raced with far less in conditions much worse. Protecting cars for Bathurst is just a bull**** excuse, drivers drive to consigns and other classes earlier that same day ran with less talented drivers and equipment of much less ability then Supercars.