News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

1980 TRU BLU Falcon

Started by Dasha, November 30, 2021, 11:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dasha

Hi folks I havnt posted here for a while but with Bathurst this weekend I cant help getting a tad excited.
I think SVG would have to be the favorite but hey its a long race & anything can happen.

Anyway getting back on topic i am a one eyed Ford supporter all due to seeing Dick Johnson's 1980 rock incident & then the 1981 win.
So what I am wanting to know if anybody knows where or if the 1980 Falcon is still about.
I am pretty sure that it was sold to a guy "Joe Moore" & was sponsored by King George Tavern & raced in a dark green livery, but I would love to know if it is still around today.
I would love to see it restored back to the original 1980 livery & sitting side by side next to the 1981 TRU BLU Falcon.
So after all of that does anyone know if it is still around ? 

stevo qld

John Donnely, a bricklayer, who was racing an XB/XC Falcon hardtop had been accumulating parts to build an XD.

He helped Dick get to Bathurst by loaning him some body parts for his ex Police XD (Tru Blu).

After the "rock" incident and the Ford support, Dick was able to build a new car and gave the wrecked body to John.

John and his small crew were able to rebuild the car with the aid of a $1,400 front cut from a wreckers and parts from his XC.

This car placed tenth at Bathurst the next year and was raced for a few years.

That is the best of my recollections of discussions with the crew at that time.

I have been told that the body, at least, is in the hands of a private collector, but can't verify this.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Dasha

Thanks heaps for the feedback stevo, hopefully one day it will come to light. 

Roadways6

From what I've been told the rock car is still in its red Bathurst '84 livery and resides in rural Queensland with a private owner who doesn't want the attention.

Absolutely no idea if that's accurate or not though.

Dasha

Yes that sounds about right, it is a shame the owner doesn't want to sell it as you would think that Dick would love to buy it & have it restored back to its original condition.
It would make a great story to have the car that actually kick started DJ;s career on display.