News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Jamie Whincup

Started by AlbertM, December 02, 2021, 09:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlbertM

https://youtu.be/c14mF7BhlbY

Staring at the keyboard, struggling to articulate what I want to say.

Jamie Whincup (The Supercar Driver) There is probably a stat somewhere to say otherwise. IMHO no driver in ATCC history has remained at the top for pretty much their entire SC career. T8 became the powerhouse they are because of him.

Still proud of the Bathurst 3-peat, breaking the 8 year Ford drought at the Mountain with Lowndes.  Still proud of the all out desire that sunk some Holden wins ;) 

I bleed blue but have respect for the greats regardless of brand. It was a pleasure to watch the rise of Whincup through the golden years of Supercars. I won't begrudge him another win, one last time. (SVG on the other hand. May he burn in hell*  :P ;)  )

* = Disclaimer - AlbertM does not literally want SVG to burn in hell. Mechanical failure or stuck in a stand trap is acceptable.

Ford Faithful

skaifeman

We haven't seen such a consistent and fast driver.

2007-2021, his worst championship position was 5th, and finished in the top three 13/15 times. I honestly doubt we'll ever see this consistent longevity for a long, long time.

His only letdown is his Bathurst record, of which he has 4, but we can definitely say he threw at least 2-3 away. Which in saying that, the only disappointment was that his bar was set so high, because 4 wins is nothing to sneeze at.

Finished reading his book over the break. Unfortunately it reads more of a history lesson rather than proper insight.
I feel he's still too engrained in the sport to get into the nitty-gritty emotion of some events. If he releases a book in 15-20 years time it'll be worth reading.
There is a healthy rivalry with Frosty though, but beyond that, there's rarely anything you didn't already know - that Speedcafe or the Sleuth didn't already report on in the media hype of its release.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

In my opinion he is the best we have seen. CL may have started the climb to success but Jdubs talent took it the rest of the way and I am not sure we'll see someone do it again.

As for his Bathurst record, I have to disagree. Even with his silly moves that cost him P1 it is still a bloody good record. I actually grew to like him more with each one that got away just for his determination to go all out for 1st place regardless of the consequences.

My biggest disappointment is that Scotty Mc and Jdub did not debut together and battle each other their whole career. I rate them both as high as each other in Australian motorsport and can only imagine how good the battles would've been year in year out.

Trevor

I won't be-grudge him his history, but like Brock, it was the team, the cars and the money that got him there
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!

madbugger

While the history books will show JDub statistically as the greatest ever, one wonders what those stats may have been had he left at the peak of his powers and tried his hand in other championships like Ambrose and McLaughlin. I don't think Ambrose would have challenged his record, but Scotty could have, especially if the Penske money had of stayed around.

JDub was happy to stay and play in the supercars sandpit and he dominated it for so long, but one wonders why he never took the next step and tried his hand elsewhere full time.

Ambrose and McLaughlin both showed that they were good enough to compete in the top level of the series they joined, both winning race(s).  ;D
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: Trevor on February 28, 2022, 05:10:11 AM
I won't be-grudge him his history, but like Brock, it was the team, the cars and the money that got him there

Was that not the case for - likely - every Champion in the Supercars era? It's a moot point.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Alan59

Quote from: skaifeman on February 28, 2022, 09:53:33 AM

Was that not the case for - likely - every Champion in the Supercars era? It's a moot point.
And nearly every other winning driver in every category of motor racing.It is the interaction of all those things that makes the sport interesting.

Trevor

Quote from: skaifeman on February 28, 2022, 09:53:33 AM
I never said it wasn't, but this thread is about Whincup

PHARK IT!!!!!

EgoFG

In a technical parity series, how long since a GOAT was not predominately a holden diver ?

Troy01505

Quote from: EgoFG on March 01, 2022, 02:44:46 AM
In a technical parity series, how long since a GOAT was not predominately a holden diver ?

When did Scotty leave???

Trev- I understand what you are saying but Jdub is part of how Triple 8 got those cars, money and success. In my opinion that's the difference between Jdub and Brock. HDT already had the fast cars and bottomless budget.

Trevor

but if you watch the Brock documentaries they would have you beleive that Brock was instrumental in the cars success, hell he even pulls on overalls to work on them ;D ;D ;D

PHARK IT!!!!!

Zac

...like Brock, it was the team, the cars and the money that got him there
And like Brock, it was his ability, drive and determination that got him to the team and the cars and the money.