News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Australian circuits

Started by Kytabu, December 07, 2021, 07:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytabu

A while ago I came across this cool graphic featuring famous race circuits of the world, drawn to scale:
https://www.carthrottle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/race-tracks-to-scale-2.jpg

Since then I have wanted to make an Australian version. I wanted to see if anyone on here had any thoughts on which circuits should be included. My current list is below; it includes all circuits that have hosted the Australian Grand Prix and all ATCC and Supercars Championship circuits. The extras which are neither Grand Prix nor ATCC circuits are Catalina, Mount Druitt, Wakefield Park, Morgan Park, Baskerville, Aspendale and Hume Weir.

There are so many more Australian circuits in history (see http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/Australia/index.html). Does anyone think other circuits deserve to be drawn up? I am also considering whether to include well-known hill climbs, speedways and even places like Lang Lang.

ACT
Canberra

NSW
Amaroo Park
Catalina
Gnoo Blas
Mount Druitt
Mount Panorama
Newcastle
Olympic Park
Oran Park
Sydney Motorsport Park
Wakefield Park
Warwick Farm

NT
Hidden Valley

QLD
Gold Coast
Lakeside
Leyburn
Lowood
Morgan Park
QLD Raceway
Southport
Surfers Paradise
Townsville

SA
Adelaide International
Adelaide Parklands
Lobethal
Mallala
Nuriootpa
Port Wakefield
Tailem Bend
Victor Harbor

TAS
Baskerville
Longford
Symmons Plains

VIC
Albert Park
Aspendale
Calder (w/ Thunderdome)
Hume Weir
Phillip Island (GP circuit)
Phillip Island (road circuit)
Point Cook
Sandown
Winton

WA
Caversham
Narrogin
Wanneroo
"I just plucked her in first, gave it some jandal, f**k yeah!"

skaifeman

Hit the nail on the head!

I'd avoid adding hillclimbs, as many will be single point to point squiggly lines.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

don't forget Sandown had multiple layouts over the years as well as an extended section on the infield on the back straight.

Winton also has 2 versions as does Calder (seems Vic love 2 versions on one track :D )

then Adelaide and GC street circuits both had short and long

bit sad that NT only has the one track!
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

skaifeman

Quote from: Sonic on December 08, 2021, 09:15:04 AM

I must say though, they treat it well!

The family went up (without me) a few months ago. Decided to goto the track as a once off to have a look.
Ended up getting a full tour from the GM and a few hats/shirts! He was just stoked about the place. Similar to SMP, they have something on track most days and it gets some decent funding to keep it desirable.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Kytabu

don't forget Sandown had multiple layouts over the years as well as an extended section on the infield on the back straight.

Winton also has 2 versions as does Calder (seems Vic love 2 versions on one track :D )

then Adelaide and GC street circuits both had short and long

Yep, same goes for Oran Park, SMP and Bathurst up here! For simplicity's sake I am going to keep the circuits to their most recent or most used layout. As in the world circuits graphic, I will probably include both for Adelaide and the Gold Coast, though.

It's been cool looking up the old Australian Grand Prix circuits. They were mainly either held on public roads or on airfields so it is interesting to look at where they were on Google Maps now.

Here's a little preview. NSW, ACT and Tasmania finished and a few Victorian circuits. Kudos if you can name the largest one without looking it up.

sizzle

Quote from: skaifeman on December 08, 2021, 09:23:56 AM

I must say though, they treat it well!

The family went up (without me) a few months ago. Decided to goto the track as a once off to have a look.
Ended up getting a full tour from the GM and a few hats/shirts! He was just stoked about the place. Similar to SMP, they have something on track most days and it gets some decent funding to keep it desirable.

Was that Laurie who gave you the tour?

Kytabu

Here we go, late addition of Bathurst's Vale Circuit which was the precursor to Mount Panorama. Now considering wrapping them all up in Sunny Corner (http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/Australia/SunnyCorner.html) as an equivalent to the Isle of Man on the world circuits graphic.

Sonic

some are immediately recognisable... others have me scratching my head :)

maybe need to put a number inside each track and see which are recognisable... and maybe hold off on replies for a few days so that we can all have a go at our guesses before the answers go up?

murph_fan51

Some tracks look so small - Darwin, Winton & Adelaide.
I'm not sure what the largest tracks above Bathurst are. But there would be some serious high speeds on those tracks  ;D
debris debris debris

skaifeman

Which is the rectangle, top right? Pretty creative.

Bloopy

Quote from: murph_fan51 on December 12, 2021, 06:38:39 AM
I'm not sure what the largest tracks above Bathurst are. But there would be some serious high speeds on those tracks  ;D

Mostly road circuits used for old Grands Prix. I was curious about the one in the bottom left so looked it up. There might've been some buckets of bolts back then that could top 200 km/h, but the winners were probably the most reliable cars that only needed to do about 120-130km/h. Plus the ones not as fast benefited from a handicap applied.

Kytabu

Quote from: skaifeman on December 12, 2021, 10:07:40 AM
Which is the rectangle, top right? Pretty creative.
That's the road circuit on Phillip Island, host of the 1928 100 Miles Road Race which later became recognised as the first Australian Grand Prix.

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/Australia/index.html

I am contemplating including the two other layouts as they also hosted significant races.

Not quite finished, still several circuit details to add.

There's a couple of other big road circuits which hosted the Australian motorcycle Grand Prix; one is 79 km in length and another is about 25 km, which would be hard to work into the graphic. Although, the 25 km one actually uses some of the same roads as the big mother surrounding the rest.

murph_fan51

Looks good Kytabu.
I found this link as I was looking for a track, not many have the circuit layout though.

https://cars4starters.com.au/going-going-gone-australias-disappearing-race-tracks/
debris debris debris

Sonic

My eyes aren't so good and I can't read your small writing.... just thought, is Barjarg there? Winton's predecessor?

Sonic