News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

wtf is up with only 26 cars?

Started by brighty08, December 08, 2021, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brighty08

Ok so I've read a Speedcafe article which says that there is a new REC system which caps the grid at 26 cars. This infuriates me since the days of Bathurst having 30, 40, or even 50 cars are over. Most fans are in the same boat as me. What a way to piss off long-term fans.

Brazen

The number of cars isn't the issue in regards to entertainment it's the excess aero

If these new Gen 3 cars do what they're supposed to do you won't care if there's only 26 cars

djr18fan

25 or 26 cars at most tracks is fine.

More at Bathurst for the sake of having slow cars & part timers get in the way & cause safety cars? I'd prefer not.

Sonic

ignore the 1000 then and come and watch the 6/12 hour races.

the 6 hour is the origin of the Bathurst legend and starts with a full field. the 2022 event on Easter weekend is oversubscribed already.
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Troy01505

Quote from: djr18fan on December 09, 2021, 04:27:18 AM

More at Bathurst for the sake of having slow cars & part timers get in the way & cause safety cars? I'd prefer not.

Was never a problem in the past, no reason Super 2 couldn't run in its own class.

Quote from: Sonic on December 09, 2021, 08:43:18 AM
ignore the 1000 then and come and watch the 6/12 hour races.

the 6 hour is the origin of the Bathurst legend and starts with a full field. the 2022 event on Easter weekend is oversubscribed already.

100% This. It is a fantastic event. It's basically what the 1000 used to be. Class racing, accessible to normal racers.

stevo qld

Quote from: Troy01505 on December 09, 2021, 09:17:47 AM

Was never a problem in the past, no reason Super 2 couldn't run in its own class.
\
Super 2 teams are generally not equipped to run refueling and wheel change duties.

Super 2 teams rely on pay drivers and there is a limit to what smaller sponsors and the bank of mum and dad are prepared to spend.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

Quote from: stevo qld on December 09, 2021, 10:40:10 AM

\
Super 2 teams are generally not equipped to run refueling and wheel change duties.

Super 2 teams rely on pay drivers and there is a limit to what smaller sponsors and the bank of mum and dad are prepared to spend.

No reason the teams that run both categories can't do their stops for their super 2 cars. Other supercar teams could help out for a few help out also, obviously pit priority to main game cars. Have a 2nd class trophy. plenty of staffing from the automotive tafe schools and other motorsport categories on the mountain each year that would be more then happy to donate their time and services to see a better quality of racing and gain further experience.

Quote from: stevo qld on December 09, 2021, 10:40:10 AM

\

If a bunch of production car guys can manage wheel changes and refuelling at the Easter 6 Hour, I'd say Super 2 teams should be able to.

Roadways6

Ridiculously restrictive

With only 26 cars, spectators are watching plenty of empty tarmac at places like Bathurst....

djr18fan

Quote from: Roadways6 on December 09, 2021, 11:31:10 PM
Ridiculously restrictive

With only 26 cars, spectators are watching plenty of empty tarmac at places like Bathurst....

How many other places are like Bathurst?

murph_fan51

Phillip Island? The Bend? I agree more cars would be good at Bathurst. How many pit bays are there? I remember when they lined up around Murray's corner  ;D
debris debris debris

Sonic

Quote from: murph_fan51 on December 11, 2021, 06:20:15 PM
Phillip Island? The Bend? I agree more cars would be good at Bathurst. How many pit bays are there? I remember when they lined up around Murray's corner  ;D

don't recall how many pit bays there are... 40?.. but they still line up around the corner in the 6 hour every event.

enough that if they decided to do a full grid they could is the answer, they just don't want to.

and as for "we don't have enough drivers" I call bs on that, we have plenty good enough... they just don't have the funding and so they sit on the sidelines...

consider that they flew Mies in to drive in the TCR and GT event at Bathurst last week while the guy who co-drove with him and helped him get the Aus title was sitting around and could have equally done the job but he has no backing :(
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

Roadways6

Quote from: murph_fan51 on December 11, 2021, 06:20:15 PM

There are 36 two-car garages, the current pit complex was designed in 2004 to accomodate up to 72 cars, specifically with the Bathurst 24 Hour in mind (ironically the B24 was axed right as the new pits were being built)

The idea of the current pit lane wasn't fit every car to have its own garage door, it was for DJR, as an example, to run both cars out of the same garage door.

Trevor

Don't ever loose sight of who owns Supercars, yes there is a 'new' owner but the teams are shareholders too

if the wealth is spread over 15 teams (not sure of exact number) why would they want the wealth spread thinner?  I certainly wouldn't

The get money from the the TV deal, they get money from sponsors, I reckon they get a share of the gate takings (except at Winton), why would they want to spread that thinner?
I am sick of nit-pickers, looking for mischief where there is none

PHARK IT!!!!!