News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Western Springs Action

Started by mikeamerica84, January 02, 2022, 02:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeamerica84

I was watching the Covid Cup from WS tonight on Flo Racing.  LOve the inverted heat/aggregate format.

Question here:  Every car had a suffix on their number.  A, NZ, USA, etc.  I can follow that easily - Aus, New Zealand, States.... but some had an M, P, and K on them.

Examples (not to quote any car numbers):

1NZ
11USA
21A
51P
84M

What are the P, K, and M suffixes relating to?
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

djr18fan

A = Auckland
P = Palmerton North
M = Mount Maunganui
K = Kihikihi

These are the names of speedway tracks, also the names of the cities / towns where they are located. In NZ.

Others you may encounter are

H for Huntly
R for Rotorua (paradise valley where I was last night)
G for Gisborne
B for Hawkes Bay (aka Meanee)
S for Stratford
V for Wanganui (because)
W is for Wellington.

Those are the major tracks in the North Island.

In the South Island:

N for Nelson
E for Blenheim (eastern states speedway)
C for Christchurh
GM for Greymouth
T for Cromwell (dunno)
D for Dunedin
I for Invercargill

The cars will be registered to those tracks.

mikeamerica84

Thank you, sir.  I guess I should brush up on my New Zealand geography.   :)

djr18fan

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on January 03, 2022, 01:59:46 AM
Thank you, sir.  I guess I should brush up on my New Zealand geography.   :)

No worries. Sweet as.

And the reason you may see 1NZ, 2Nz or 3NZ, is that each category has an annual championship meeting. And the winner gets ro use 1NZ for 12 months. Second place 2NZ and 3rd 3NZ. They may also put the tracks letter after the Z in smaller font.

Anyone from the east island would have AUS after their number.

mikeamerica84

Another thing I picked up on is that at Western Springs, and I am imagining all of New Zealand (?) they refer to Midgets as Midgets, whereas in Australia they are Speedcars.  I knew the latter from watching races in Oz, but learned something about the former last night.

djr18fan

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on January 03, 2022, 05:13:21 AM
Another thing I picked up on is that at Western Springs, and I am imagining all of New Zealand (?) they refer to Midgets as Midgets, whereas in Australia they are Speedcars.  I knew the latter from watching races in Oz, but learned something about the former last night.

Yep.
Midgets are midgets throughout the country.
They don't interest me. They are nor raced at my local track.

Sprint cars, super saloons & super stocks are the 3 top categories. Super stocks are Mt favorite and I think the favorite of the land.
Greg Murphy, Richie Stanaway & a number of other top level drivers from other formulas are scheduled to race super stocks at a meeting at rotorua in March.  Originally scheduled for last week it was postponed to March due to covid.

If you get a chance, watch some Palmerton North teams racing. You'll find it on YouTube.

Also due to covid, the powers that be have decided there will be no national championships for any categories this season. Not sure if 1, 2 & 3 NZ hang on to their numbers for an extra year or not. Probably will as defending titles  is a big deal.

Bloopy

Quote from: djr18fan on January 02, 2022, 07:00:05 PM
T for Cromwell (dunno)

Central Motor Speedway, so they most likely took the first unused letter from that. Though Cromwell's Maori name starts with T so it works two ways.

mikeamerica84

Flo has racing from Waikaraka Park now.  What a nice way to spend the off season here for a dirt track fan.  The Chili Bowl just concluded in Tulsa.  Always a head rush! ;D

djr18fan

The World 240's was held over the last 2 nights at Rotorua speedway.

First night is qualifying. Second night the main event run over 3 heats. Title decided on points over the 3 races.

The 3rd race is always the decider with points leaders usually targeted by drivers trying to help cars from their home track.
Last night became a Chistchurch + Palmerston North vs Gisborne + Kihikihi battle. Ironically, it was not won by a car from any of those tracks.

Race 3 was epic. One of the best final heats of any superstock title ever.