News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbugger

Quote from: stevo qld on September 27, 2022, 07:58:05 PM
A looong time annoyance, IMHO. is the closed entry aspects of a private travelling Circus known as Supercars (or similar).

If Supercars choose to play in their own restricted playpen, keeping out drivers with potential talent, that is their decision.

However. the Australian Touring Car Championship as awarded by Motorsport Australia is also in play.

If we look back to true champions, not artificially restricted, we see people like Dick Johnson who were not only able to contest any championship by arriving at a Race Meeting with an eligible car, as far back as an LC Torana (possibly a GTR 2500cc), but able to run State Championships i.e Qld Touring Car Championship, Dick Johnson in True Blu 2, John Donnely in Tru Blu 1 repaired and repainted in in Red. John English in the ex Alan Moffat XD, several Bathurst entrants in class cars.  and heaps of others (including a minor backmarker in a 1600cc class car, myself). It was fun for all and good practice for the frontrunners as well as exposure for their local sponsors at local tracks with local spectators. Some raced only in their state rounds.

I am in favour of ANY person or team with a legal car being allowed to run and attempt to qualify at any event and then race if they qualify within the specified track numbers limit.

This system. long in use, was abandoned because these wildcardish entrants often outperformed the Circus approved drivers and offended their sponsors.

Frankly, the performance of some backmarkers reliant on sponsors paying for a drive should be exposed by allowing other entrants to beat them in qualifying.

Here is a case in point. Matt Chandra, who, with his Dad and family run a low bucks effort, would gladly buy or build a Gen 3 car, but the closed shop mitigates against their effort. Maybe he would fail to qualify against the big bucks sponsored backmarkers, but they should be allowed to try.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/chahdas-keen-on-full-time-supercars-leap/

I have the same opinion. If memory serves me correctly, the closed shop came about many many moons ago when a championship contender missed qualifying because of grid limits and a bit of a 💩 fight ensued.

It's a hazy memory and I may well be remembering incorrectly.

Never been a fan of the current setup. If you have a compliant car and qualify then you should be able to race, regardless of who you displace
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

AlbertM

Supercars is not motorsport, it's sports entertainment. Designed to pull money from the viewer. Using rolling billboards with contracts on how much air time these billboards get. You can't risk having a random entrant playing with the pointy end, taking up space. Like all reality shows, there is a script.
Ford Faithful

madbugger

Quote from: AlbertM on September 29, 2022, 12:52:43 PM
Supercars is not motorsport, it's sports entertainment. Designed to pull money from the viewer. Using rolling billboards with contracts on how much air time these billboards get. You can't risk having a random entrant playing with the pointy end, taking up space. Like all reality shows, there is a script.
that's a lot closer to the truth than the owners/promoters of Supercars would want to admit
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.

skaifeman

Quote from: madbugger on September 29, 2022, 04:04:56 PM
that's a lot closer to the truth than the owners/promoters of Supercars would want to admit

Can pretty much apply the line to any top level motorsport across the world.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

Yes Albert,

But I could argue that Supercar Circus business is Supercar Circus business.

The Australian Touring Car Championship, however, should be open to any licensed entrant and driver with a vehicle that complies with the regulations applicable.

Also, the cars should have a State Touring Car Championship to race in, for those that can't afford the $$$ or time to travel interstate, and also be able to race at non-championship meetings.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

Maybe Supercars should try a relegation system.

The car with the lowest points for the year loses its franchise (or whatever they now call it), and the franchise is up for sale. (Rookie drivers could be exempted for just the first year.)

However, that car owner can apply to buy the now vacant spot along with every other hopeful. May the best entrant win the grid spot.

This system would have the effect of weeding out the pay drivers who showed in their first season that they can't hack it. What team owner would risk his franchise by signing a dud for a second year?
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Troy01505

All televised sports are an entertainment business!

Troy01505

AlbertM

Correct, Supercars is not alone. Most sports mainstream sports are entertainment focused.   

Quote from: stevo qld on September 29, 2022, 04:17:47 PM

Yes Albert,

But I could argue that Supercar Circus business is Supercar Circus business.

The Australian Touring Car Championship, however, should be open to any licensed entrant and driver with a vehicle that complies with the regulations applicable.

Also, the cars should have a State Touring Car Championship to race in, for those that can't afford the $$$ or time to travel interstate, and also be able to race at non-championship meetings.

Can't run such events without money. Sponsor will demand decent exposure. The broadcaster will want to make money. in the end we're back to square one, where those with the cash over shadow the talent.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

Quote from: Troy01505 on September 30, 2022, 06:55:47 PM
When's Ludo contract up?

There is an unconfirmed suggestion that Ludo was looking at returning to 888, but RD would not consider it. Of course, RD no longer owns 888.

If Ludo moved on, I think there would be interest from other teams, like, maybe, Grove?

Even RD concedes that Ludo is the second-best engineer in pit lane, but could he handle the Melbourne weather after glorious Queensland?  ;D

Maybe he will finally go sailing? 8)

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/28/dane-reveals-messy-lacroix-triple-eight-exit/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

murph_fan51

Quote from: murph_fan51 on January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM
With all the 2022 season locked in, there's already talk about 2023.

Richie Stanaways name has resurfaced for Gen 3 in an Adderton owned and run Boost team:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/12/31/why-gen3-might-be-stanaways-ticket-to-supercars-return/

This has gone very quiet. Will we hear anything from Bathurst?
debris debris debris

Troy01505

Quote from: stevo qld on September 30, 2022, 08:42:32 PM
When's Ludo contract up?

There is an unconfirmed suggestion that Ludo was looking at returning to 888, but RD would not consider it. Of course, RD no longer owns 888.

If Ludo moved on, I think there would be interest from other teams, like, maybe, Grove?

Even RD concedes that Ludo is the second-best engineer in pit lane, but could he handle the Melbourne weather after glorious Queensland?  ;D

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/09/28/dane-reveals-messy-lacroix-triple-eight-exit/

Grove and WAU apparently. 2023 may be his last year at DJR

mikeamerica84

Quote from: Troy01505 on October 01, 2022, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: stevo qld on September 30, 2022, 08:42:32 PM
When's Ludo contract up?

Grove and WAU apparently. 2023 may be his last year at DJR
Hell, bring him state-side.  James Small has worked out very well for Joe Gibbs Racing in NASCAR.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

Zac

Hazelwood to Blanchard and Slade to PremiAir both look like sideways moves to me, for both drivers - and both teams, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.