News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe5619

It's a shame to loss the Boost money from the sport, but dam is the owner of that company a big wanker!

Skip

How's his 'this will cost you, Supercars' comment. What a goose. Money obviously can't buy class. 

stevo qld

Didn't Adderton guarantee a Supercars place for Stanaway, if he wanted it.

It pains me to be pessimistic about Supercars. It is the only race class that I seriously follow these days, and I don't want to be overly critical, but I do wonder:

DJR is reported in the press to be for sale in all or in part. What will that do to the Ford Gen 3 development?

888 has already been sold.

One major Tickford owner has sold out.

And in recent times:

GRM quit.

A major partner in BJR sold out.

Walkinshaws sold the majority of what is now WAU.

On top of that, Boost, a Telstra old tech reseller, are apparently leaving, as a Series sponsor, an event sponsor and a team sponsor, not for the first time. One suggestion is that Supercars, per Nettleford are getting cosy with Optus.

The Rogers are keen to take the buyout of RACE and recoup their investment.

I think, I will quit at that. Hopefully it will all sort out on the plus side.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

AlbertM

Team ownership is not really a problem for the longevity of the series. Many a team owner has sold out or retired over the years. What will break Supercars is a drop in sponsor dollars. If sponsors don't see a return because of less viewers then they'll have something to worry about.
Ford Faithful

Joe5619

Quote from: stevo qld on August 01, 2022, 07:54:54 PM

It pains me to be pessimistic about Supercars. It is the only race class that I seriously follow these days, and I don't want to be overly critical, but I do wonder:

DJR is reported in the press to be for sale in all or in part. What will that do to the Ford Gen 3 development?

And in recent times:

GRM quit.

On top of that, Boost, a Telstra old tech reseller, are apparently leaving, as a Series sponsor, an event sponsor and a team sponsor, not for the first time. One suggestion is that Supercars, per Nettleford are getting cosy with Optus.

I will answer like this
Gibson Motorports gone,
Seton Motorsport gone,
Perkin Motorsport gone,
Moffat Motorsports gone
Need I need to go on?

And Pepsi sponsorship gone,
FAI sponsorship gone,
BOC sponsorship gone,
Vodafone sponsorship gone,
Mitre 10 sponsorship gone.
Need I need to go on?

Didn't kill the sport back in the day, can't see why it would now.

Quote from: AlbertM on August 01, 2022, 10:24:30 PM
Team ownership is not really a problem for the longevity of the series. Many a team owner has sold out or retired over the years. What will break Supercars is a drop in sponsor dollars. If sponsors don't see a return because of less viewers then they'll have something to worry about.
And some people still think the value in Supercar sponsorship is the actual race weekends!!! This is old school thinking.. The good drivers & teams are influencers & that's where the value is.

REM

So......where is Sladey off to? He seemed a great fit at Blanchard....

Joe5619

Sladey's on the move? I haven't seen that one..

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: Joe5619 on August 06, 2022, 09:05:58 AM

I did see one report that said Holdsworth might be lined up for the seat, but that was about it.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on August 06, 2022, 09:08:43 AM

I did see one report that said Holdsworth might be lined up for the seat, but that was about it.
I am assuming you mean Holdsworth for Slade's seat?

Not Slade for Lee's seat?
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 06, 2022, 10:08:47 AM

I am assuming you mean Holdsworth for Slade's seat?

Not Slade for Lee's seat?

Payne has pretty well wrapped up that second seat at Grove:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/16/plans-firming-for-2023-grove-supercars-line-up/

Slade to PremiAir?
https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/slade-blanchard-racing-team-premiair/10348808/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

djr18fan

Quote from: stevo qld on August 01, 2022, 07:54:54 PM

And in recent times:

GRM quit.

You are being pessimistic.

DJR are interested in bringing in a business partner.

Quinn & Whincup have bought into Triple 8

Andretti & Brown have bought into Walkinshaw forming WAU

Groves have bought into the category.
As has Xiberras.
Blanchard & Matt Stone Racing are relatively new as well

There are new main sponsors in Snowy River Caravans, Tradie, NTI, TRG Transport & Subway. And Truck Assist & Penrite have increased sponsorship to 2 cars.

There are more wildcards than in many years and people / organisation's interested in buying shares in the business.

But yeah, it's the series I follow the most - by far. It's the only reason I have Sky Sport Now. On a monthly plan I suspend in the off season.

REM

That would be a great fit hey!!

murph_fan51

QuoteSlade to PremiAir?
https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/slade-blanchard-racing-team-premiair/10348808/

Backwards step if true. But I guess a drive and salary is better than nothing.
debris debris debris

stevo qld

Quote from: murph_fan51 on August 06, 2022, 04:20:58 PM
QuoteSlade to PremiAir?

If all Slade wanted was a "drive and a salary", then he could have accepted the Cooldrive offer which included both.

If he makes the move, Slade will get the latest 888 machinery with an owner who is able to, and willing to, purchase the best of equipment and resources.

The big question is whether Slade has, or ever did have, the ability to be a regular winner, and is PremiAir getting the quality driver it needs.

PremiAir  is probably the best available ride in any team, although Team 18 should also have similar equipment, with an undeclared seat and an owner with a championship already under his belt.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

Zac

Quote from: murph_fan51 on August 06, 2022, 04:20:58 PM
QuoteSlade to PremiAir?

I thought Slade was getting better results for that team than the team was getting results for Slade. It's been somewhat patchy for Slade and BRT recently, but the one-car team has been performing above some more fancied teams despite a recent lean spell. Is it the car, or the driver, or just the combination losing its way? I don't know, but to me, Lee Holdsworth is not likely to be the driver to get the team further up the field, while Tim Slade could well be a good signing for the "new" PremiAir outfit. I wonder what caused Blanchards to do this...