News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REM

The car seemed to go better when it was largely a Tickford car, since they have added a DJR engine and other bits...it seems to have lost it's way.....and ironically, the Tickford cars are probably the best Stangs out there now and third best package overall behind the super ZB's of T8 and WAU...

murph_fan51

The WAU cars are really good as you say that NP is 15th and Chaz 5th  ??? Hardly better. Chaz and Adam the main reason here.

As for the opening post of this topic, Stanaway and Boost happening? What's the bet Adderton will do a back flip and we'll see them on a Supercar next year  ::)
debris debris debris

CP

Quote from: murph_fan51 on August 07, 2022, 08:34:11 AM
The WAU cars are really good as you say that NP is 15th and Chaz 5th  ??? Hardly better. Chaz and Adam the main reason here.

As for the opening post of this topic, Stanaway and Boost happening? What's the bet Adderton will do a back flip and we'll see them on a Supercar next year  ::)

Mr Boost could even have a share in the category itself given the current ownership muddle.

stevo qld

Quote from: CP on August 08, 2022, 06:23:13 PM
Quote from: murph_fan51 on August 07, 2022, 08:34:11 AM

Mr Boost could even have a share in the category itself given the current ownership muddle.

Good point!

Now that the Payne shares have been sold, there remains about a 15% shareholding by the Rogers, who are also shareholders in ARG.

They were very unhappy that a very well prices takeover was rejected by RACE. That may be an underestimation of their wrath/disapointment based on news reports.

They might feel justified in selling all their shareholding in both organisations to Adderton if he makes a suitable offer. Would he really want to???

There would be nothing to stop them continuing to run a TCR team and a TransAm team simply as entrants.

They would at least get a superior return on their investment by selling to a higher bidder and it only takes 10% plus 1 shares to stymie compulsory share sales in a takeover.

GRM still has a substantial investment in S5000, which rarely uses the cars available. They have had offers to buy the cars, intellectual property and all from USA.

Gary has been a stalwart of Motorsport for many decades. Although we share an annual birthday, his was a few years earlier. I feel old.

Barry was and is a businessman, who may share his father's Motorsport dreams, but surely not at any cost.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Troy01505

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 17, 2022, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on August 17, 2022, 08:30:07 AM
Quote from: REM on August 17, 2022, 06:22:28 AM
ADP and Will D signed for 23.....
https://autoaction.com.au/2022/08/17/dick-johnson-racings-big-week-rounded-out-with-driver-signings?fbclid=IwAR0kemWJWABKs3WZ4TBj1H2TKkwwRK0-YW6KanxVjEF4lJL7XQ52L16Ed54

Good moves.
Agree.  I don't care how old he is, Will is at the top of his game.

Smart move but I reckon will was at the top of his game at the end of his Tickford run, they just couldn't give him the equipment.

Joe5619

I've never been a fan of Will D, but his really impressed me this year, I can't believe his drive was ever in question..

skaifeman

Shock retirement for Holdsworth:
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/holdsworth-announces-shock-retirement/

Not sure what's shocking? He wraps up at the end of the year, as was as far as I'm aware, always the (likely) plan with Payne coming in.
Wonder if he goes straight back to WAU come 2023, he'd be hot property in the co-driver market after his showing last year.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

Sonic

Quote from: skaifeman on August 30, 2022, 10:39:35 AM
Shock retirement for Holdsworth:
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/holdsworth-announces-shock-retirement/

Not sure what's shocking? He wraps up at the end of the year, as was as far as I'm aware, always the (likely) plan with Payne coming in.
Wonder if he goes straight back to WAU come 2023, he'd be hot property in the co-driver market after his showing last year.

Kind of agree here.

But the difference I think is that this year he gets to finish on his own terms rather than being kicked out unexpectedly.

Also agree he'll be in demand for Bathursts to come and maybe even as a GT pairing?

If we get lucky in Vic we might even get to have a Caruso/Holdsworth pairing for the Excel enduro at year's end! :D
philwisewould.zenfolio.com - check out the photos after race weekend!

mikeamerica84

Good for Lee!  Hope "retirement" works out well for him. 

I am on the brink of it myself at the end of this year.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

skaifeman

Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 30, 2022, 11:23:01 AM

Not as the Fantasy Tsar I hope!

mikeamerica84

Quote from: skaifeman on August 30, 2022, 12:38:40 PM
Quote from: mikeamerica84 on August 30, 2022, 11:23:01 AM

Not as the Fantasy Tsar I hope!
No.  No.  REAL world.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stevo qld

A looong time annoyance, IMHO. is the closed entry aspects of a private travelling Circus known as Supercars (or similar).

If Supercars choose to play in their own restricted playpen, keeping out drivers with potential talent, that is their decision.

However. the Australian Touring Car Championship as awarded by Motorsport Australia is also in play.

If we look back to true champions, not artificially restricted, we see people like Dick Johnson who were not only able to contest any championship by arriving at a Race Meeting with an eligible car, as far back as an LC Torana (possibly a GTR 2500cc), but able to run State Championships i.e Qld Touring Car Championship, Dick Johnson in True Blu 2, John Donnely in Tru Blu 1 repaired and repainted in in Red. John English in the ex Alan Moffat XD, several Bathurst entrants in class cars.  and heaps of others (including a minor backmarker in a 1600cc class car, myself). It was fun for all and good practice for the frontrunners as well as exposure for their local sponsors at local tracks with local spectators. Some raced only in their state rounds.

I am in favour of ANY person or team with a legal car being allowed to run and attempt to qualify at any event and then race if they qualify within the specified track numbers limit.

This system. long in use, was abandoned because these wildcardish entrants often outperformed the Circus approved drivers and offended their sponsors.

Frankly, the performance of some backmarkers reliant on sponsors paying for a drive should be exposed by allowing other entrants to beat them in qualifying.

Here is a case in point. Matt Chandra, who, with his Dad and family run a low bucks effort, would gladly buy or build a Gen 3 car, but the closed shop mitigates against their effort. Maybe he would fail to qualify against the big bucks sponsored backmarkers, but they should be allowed to try.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/chahdas-keen-on-full-time-supercars-leap/

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN