News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Silly Season 2023

Started by murph_fan51, January 02, 2022, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murph_fan51

Quote from: skaifeman on October 21, 2022, 09:14:27 AM
Quote from: LG on October 21, 2022, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on October 20, 2022, 03:43:57 PM
Not sure why Supercars would be reluctant to give out the Super License. New team, new investment and they don't have to pay him for 2 years!

Call Adderton what you want, but he does put his money where his mouth is (and takes it away). The Stanaway story of Bathurst was one of the better ones.

I think that the mouth is the problem in Supercars eyes.

At worst it gathers interest though.

Slade confirmed at PremiAir: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/premiair-racing-confirms-slade-signing/

Slade is lucky to get another chance.
debris debris debris

LG

Quote from: murph_fan51 on October 21, 2022, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on October 21, 2022, 09:14:27 AM
Quote from: LG on October 21, 2022, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: skaifeman on October 20, 2022, 03:43:57 PM
Not sure why Supercars would be reluctant to give out the Super License. New team, new investment and they don't have to pay him for 2 years!

Call Adderton what you want, but he does put his money where his mouth is (and takes it away). The Stanaway story of Bathurst was one of the better ones.

I think that the mouth is the problem in Supercars eyes.

At worst it gathers interest though.

Slade confirmed at PremiAir: https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/premiair-racing-confirms-slade-signing/

It's pretty obvious he was head hunted by Premair for a much better deal than what he was on.

stevo qld

Quote from: LG on October 21, 2022, 03:33:46 PM

QuoteIt's pretty obvious he was head hunted by Premair for a much better deal than what he was on.

Let's be fair with Cooldrive. They took on a driver that NO team was willing to employ full time.

He hasn't exactly produced results, i.e., winning results, to any great extent. I think, but may be wrong, that he has 2 wins with BJR and a win with SBR (hazy memory that one) over a lot of years. Why would he command a large salary from Cooldrive that offered him a drive when he was unwanted.

I hope PremiAir can get the best out of him, but I don't rank him top 10, nor, apparently, the other team managers.

Never-the less, I wish him well and hope PremiAir develops to a top team as it is well funded, has top class equipment and is owned by a racer, an Australian Champ in his own field. I do hope that they sign Golding who has the potential to be their number one driver for many years.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

mikeamerica84

Quote from: stevo qld on October 21, 2022, 06:23:48 PM
I do hope that they sign Golding who has the potential to be their number one driver for many years.
Golding would be a great signing for ANY team right now.  I wonder if PremiAair is going to be able to KEEP him.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

stevo qld

There is only one seat left. (at MSR)

It appears that they have major sponsors already committed.

Declan Fraser has ruled himself out of the MSR drive due to current sponsor loyalty, so he is not on the 2023 grid excrpt wildcards and I am sure 888 will be happy to provide.

Here is one way out, very way-out possibility considering 888 connections to teams.  :P

What if PremiAir put Slade in the Subway car (if they continue) and put Fraser in the Coke machine with Supercheap sponsorship replacing Coke, which seems to go wherever with Pither.

Golding, who is truly excellent, but without personal sponsor baggage, could fill the MSR seat. I know MSR want to run a Newby, but they could be persuaded. Let's face it Matt Stone must be getting tired of providing expensive race cars for mid field drivers. He has the equipment, resource and personnel to be a contender for podiums.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/fraser-out-of-the-running-for-msr-seat/
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

stevo qld

Well, Adderton has got his car, A Camaro from 888.

All he needs is workshop and personnel to run it.

888 Have extra staff following the cancellation of their Super 2 program, and have the workshop capacity to fettle a third, at least in the interim.

All it takes is $ $ $ $ $, and lots of them.

https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/boost-buys-triple-eight-camaro-for-2023-supercars-entry/
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Golding stays on at PremiAir. Apart from his mishap on the weekend, he's been a breath of fresh air there. Good signing.
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/premiair-racing-retains-golding-for-2023/

And it looks like Cameron Hill will take the MSR seat:
https://www.v8sleuth.com.au/meet-the-man-set-to-be-supercars-next-rookie/
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

stevo qld

In 2022, Supercars restricted Wildcard entries, due to the need for a garage assigned to Gen3 prototypes.

With Gen3 being an actuality, there is no need for the prototype garage.

Hopefully, they will allow a further two wildcards in 2023.

Now that Adderton is buying his own Boost funded Gen3 racer, he would be in the catbird seat with an approach to any team or multiple teams with a Wildcard proposal, or multiple proposals.

Even if Supercars hog the 26th license, then we could still see 27 or even 29 cars on the track, particularly at Bathurst.

Bring it on.  ;D

ALBERT EINSTEIN

hsv8fan

Lets say Supercars wont relinquish the remaining REC to Adderton or anyone else for that matter.
Could he be so bold as to run it as a wildcard at every round?

V8SuperRiley

Quote from: hsv8fan on November 03, 2022, 09:21:38 PM
Lets say Supercars wont relinquish the remaining REC to Adderton or anyone else for that matter.
Could he be so bold as to run it as a wildcard at every round?

I believe that outside of Endurance races, there are only 3 or 4 rounds of the year you can run as a wildcard, and you can only do 2 of them.

fordman

Whats the go here???? is it correct teams can veto a new entry??? which teams dids this ???

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/11/05/adderton-concedes-defeat-in-supercars-trc-bid/

stevo qld

As I understand it:

The teams via their RECs, as they were called, actually owned a substantial share of Supercars.

When a buyer came along, their shares were sold on the basis that competitor numbers would be stable for a few years and they would get paid for participating.

It probably needs ALL teams to agree to any changes.

There are a lot of back-markers and midfield team entries out there. A well-funded new entrant just might beat their drivers and they might come 26th instead of 25th.

As to the wildcard entries. They were restricted in 2022 due to the need for a double garage workspace for the Gen3 prototypes, which will free up two additional spots for wildcards. The wildcard rules for next year haven't been announced, if Supercars has even decided.

BJR still has two of its three entries not publicly committed to any driver and SCT have also not announced a driver, and for that matter, even if they will enter. The SCT entrant permit could be sold or leased to Adderton, possibly with a co-driver spot for Jack Smith. Daddy only offered to fund him for a finite number of years. The SCT money might be better spent on a Porsche racer. Jack has proved to be a talented racer in the past, but let's face it, he just isn't cutting through in Supercars.

BJR might even be prepared to run the Boostmobile. Brad must be getting sick of paying for repairs to his own cars.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

skaifeman

Quote from: stevo qld on November 06, 2022, 05:54:03 PM
As I understand it:

The teams via their RECs, as they were called, actually owned a substantial share of Supercars.

When a buyer came along, their shares were sold on the basis that competitor numbers would be stable for a few years and they would get paid for participating.

It probably needs ALL teams to agree to any changes.

There are a lot of back-markers and midfield team entries out there. A well-funded new entrant just might beat their drivers and they might come 26th instead of 25th.

As to the wildcard entries. They were restricted in 2022 due to the need for a double garage workspace for the Gen3 prototypes, which will free up two additional spots for wildcards. The wildcard rules for next year haven't been announced, if Supercars has even decided.

BJR still has two of its three entries not publicly committed to any driver and SCT have also not announced a driver, and for that matter, even if they will enter. The SCT entrant permit could be sold or leased to Adderton, possibly with a co-driver spot for Jack Smith. Daddy only offered to fund him for a finite number of years. The SCT money might be better spent on a Porsche racer. Jack has proved to be a talented racer in the past, but let's face it, he just isn't cutting through in Supercars.

BJR might even be prepared to run the Boostmobile. Brad must be getting sick of paying for repairs to his own cars.

Adderton even stated he'd give up the charter earnings for the first 2 years!
I'd say he's rubbed a few up and down pitlane the wrong way.

To be fair, whatever Adderton touches gains pretty good fan engagement (for better or worse), he's actually using Supercars to push his brand. Is that really a bad thing? It shows Supercars can be a good marketing tool to other potential sponsors.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

V8SuperRiley

Damien White put up a post on Twitter, calling out Adderton to a degree.

The teams no longer are able to block anyone from purchasing the REC if the owners allow it, but the current teams to get first choice.

He also said that the way in which Peter has gone about the whole situation, could be hindering his entrance to the sport, as opposed to helping.

It was a very well thought out response.

Bloopy

Quote from: V8SuperRiley on November 08, 2022, 12:40:11 PM
but the current teams to get first choice.

Some comments online implied maybe Blanchard Racing Team had expressed interest in obtaining it for 2024. That could add another excuse for Supercars to hold it back in 2023.