News:

The new look V8Central, there will be quite a few changes over the next few days/weeks

Main Menu

Gen 3

Started by LG, May 12, 2021, 08:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaifeman

Quote from: muz on November 25, 2023, 06:06:01 PMSo, are we happy with parity?

Ford's walked past the Chev's in Adelaide today. I'm glad to see the Ford competitive, but it seems to have swung too far the other way.

Lucky we have wind tunnel testing before 2024 so that we hopefully get a tight season.
We'll never know. As far as I'm aware the quantifiable figures remain the same as when it was perceived that Camaro had the advantage.
We're still in the grey area of "everything is equal."
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

2 fast Chevs in the wall by turn 4. Feeny still running around the top 5 and Brodie was in conservation mode to clinch the title. Fords have nothing to lose by going all out for the win.
Ford Faithful

Troy01505

Brodie conserving to wrap up the championship.

Hopefully tomorrow all the top cars are balls to the wall to finish on a high

stevo qld

I notice that Ford teams use a variety of dashboards. Is it a free item under Gen 3 rules?
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

AlbertM

Quote from: stevo qld on November 25, 2023, 10:04:22 PMI notice that Ford teams use a variety of dashboards. Is it a free item under Gen 3 rules?
Must be.
Ford Faithful

stevo qld

SVG had car problems again today. Throughout the year, there have been a myriad of reliability issue and component failures for most teams, including the factory supported teams of 888 and Tickford.

If they can't sort it out, what hope is there for privateers in 2024.

The new Head of Supercar Motorsport has had a very thorough education in the design and materials problems and his, soon to be, previous team has been active in attempting solutions, such as steering.

Can Supercars please get stuck into these reliability problems as a matter of priority.

PS. I notice ther have been a few engine problems late in the season too.
Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ALBERT EINSTEIN

muz

Quote from: skaifeman on November 25, 2023, 06:25:28 PM

Ford's walked past the Chev's in Adelaide today. I'm glad to see the Ford competitive, but it seems to have swung too far the other way.

Lucky we have wind tunnel testing before 2024 so that we hopefully get a tight season.
We'll never know. As far as I'm aware the quantifiable figures remain the same as when it was perceived that Camaro had the advantage.

Agreed here, it is still a grey area. Pre GC update it was all Chev in top halt, with a sprinkling of waters, Mostert, maybe randle and maybe a shell car.

Post GC it is 4x Ford wins in a row, Fords mostly filling the top half with a sprinkling of SVG, Kostecki, Feeney.

Parity has not been achieved. The pendulum swung the other way.

We all want the same thing, proper fighting at the front for all manufacturers and teams.

There is big pressure on the USA testing so that these cars can properly fight in 2024.

AlbertM

At the GC, Cam and Reynolds were cutting the chicanes to stay ahead of the faster Camaros of SVG and Brodie. The GC produce the closet battle between the makes all year.

At ADL The Camaros took themselves out. And Brodie had no incentive to go for the win.

Surely Ford can win a few races, yes? 3 of the top teams are Ford teams after all. Before Gen 3 Erebus was no where.
Ford Faithful

skaifeman

Quote from: muz on November 28, 2023, 05:51:38 PM
Quote from: skaifeman on November 25, 2023, 06:25:28 PM

Agreed here, it is still a grey area. Pre GC update it was all Chev in top halt, with a sprinkling of waters, Mostert, maybe randle and maybe a shell car.

Post GC it is 4x Ford wins in a row, Fords mostly filling the top half with a sprinkling of SVG, Kostecki, Feeney.

Parity has not been achieved. The pendulum swung the other way.

We all want the same thing, proper fighting at the front for all manufacturers and teams.

There is big pressure on the USA testing so that these cars can properly fight in 2024.
The pendulum may have shifted, but the point of my post was the the tools and quantifiables of parity haven't. So the grey area remains.
As Albert would say, Supercars are just throwing darts at a dart board.

Quote from: AlbertM on November 29, 2023, 04:00:42 AMBefore Gen 3 Erebus was no where.
Agree with the rest of your post, barr this. Erebus have developed the best Gen3 package with the tools given to them.
Grove were equally nowhere and since the Mustang changes are the form team of the series. Teams can and do make leaps after large reg changes.
"Ford's Bathurst winning bonus didn't even cover the cost of the after-party" - Allan Moffat, 1977

AlbertM

We'll never really know. 888 were the benchmark , they had a pretty bad season compared... Ford teams were out of it until the last 4 races. Erebus were just there when it mattered, IMO.
Ford Faithful

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on November 29, 2023, 04:00:42 AMAt the GC, Cam and Reynolds were cutting the chicanes to stay ahead of the faster Camaros of SVG and Brodie. The GC produce the closet battle between the makes all year.

At ADL The Camaros took themselves out. And Brodie had no incentive to go for the win.

Surely Ford can win a few races, yes? 3 of the top teams are Ford teams after all. Before Gen 3 Erebus was no where.

Look at the standings in each session pre GC - it was all yellow for Camaro in the top half. Post GC, it was all Blue for Ford.

Each time there were 3-4 outliers of the other make at the top.

No one is disputing that we need Ford to win, we want that.

But the issue is not just who is winning, it is the balance.

It wasn't right when it was a Camaro steam train, and seeing Ford fill the majority of the top half after a parity change also is not right.

I want to see the two makes go toe to toe, and we have rarely seen that in 2023.

mikeamerica84

Quote from: muz on November 30, 2023, 08:59:02 AM
Quote from: AlbertM on November 29, 2023, 04:00:42 AMAt the GC, Cam and Reynolds were cutting the chicanes to stay ahead of the faster Camaros of SVG and Brodie. The GC produce the closet battle between the makes all year.

Look at the standings in each session pre GC - it was all yellow for Camaro in the top half. Post GC, it was all Blue for Ford.

It wasn't right when it was a Camaro steam train, and seeing Ford fill the majority of the top half after a parity change also is not right.

I want to see the two makes go toe to toe, and we have rarely seen that in 2023.
How about going old school and start throwing success ballast in the cars.  Chevy wins, all Chevys add x-kg of ballast.  Chevy wins again, all add x-kg of ballast again.  Ford wins, take x-kg of ballast out of the Chevys.

To me this is better than waiting x number of races before the circuit breaker is tripped and something has to be done about it - like this season.
The V8CFL - Without Fantasy, Life is Simply Life

AlbertM

Again. At the GC they did go toe to toe. At ADL 3 top Camaros were damaged, conserving to lock up the championship and a sook.

Come back when Fords go 1-9. Then you may have a point.
Ford Faithful

falcon_cobra

Will we ever know the details from the Aero and Engine testing? Probably Not.

they will(should) get it right, so no car has an advantage, time will tell.

The testing should have been done properly in the first place(before Gen 3 Started)

muz

Quote from: AlbertM on December 01, 2023, 11:36:21 AM

Again. At the GC they did go toe to toe. At ADL 3 top Camaros were damaged, conserving to lock up the championship and a sook.

Come back when Fords go 1-9. Then you may have a point.

I think the point is that it is clearly not balanced, still. But because Ford is winning you don't see that.

Separate the issues - no issue with Ford winning, the issue is how fast the balance turned with those changes.

Supercars have been panicked trying to fix it. As FC said, should have been right from the start.